9 of 10 people found the following review helpful
Game for a good time, many laughs, and full of satisfaction,
This review is from: Earth Defense Force 2025 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I saw this game a few years ago on my Japanese PS3 account and thought it looked interesting. I, however, did not know it was coming to the U.S. as well. Being a person who has never played the series nor heard of it till this installment, I had no idea what to expect upon playing it.
Upon starting the game, the first item that appears is the option to create a save file, standard game setup. Once you have created a file to your liking, you are then brought to a screen where you have the options of offline missions, online missions, and versus (pvp). Offline missions allow you and/or a friend to go through the game. Online missions allow the player and/ or friend to go online and play co-op with others online in the same missions as offline mode I believe. Finally, versus mode sounds exactly as it sounds. You and a friend go one on one in combat to see who has better skills. Going back to the missions, they can takes place across levels featuring destructible environments, taking place in settings such as cities, beaches, hills, underground tunnels and more. There is no penalty for collateral damage that is inflicted on the environment by the player, for instance when buildings crumble after sustaining a few hits from a rocket launcher or grenade. Other EDF soldiers can be recruited or followed, and attack enemies on sight, as well as provide radio chatter. There are several difficulty levels. More effective weapons are dropped by the enemies in the game at the higher difficulty levels, encouraging players to repeat the missions. In addition to weapons, armor enhancements which function as permanent maximum health bonuses are dropped along with healing items.
The difficulty levels are:
Before you start a mission on any mode (not sure about Vs. though), you will have options to start the mission, change class and weapons, and game options. I was very pleased with the class options and the choices for weapons. The weapons start few in number but grow more as you play the game. On the other hand, each class feels very unique and useful in their own way in combat. The four “new” soldier classes are ranger, wing diver, air raider, and Fencer.
• The Ranger is composed of foot infantry capable of using several vehicles and mechas. The weapon selection for the Ranger class is the most versatile out of the four. Using assault rifles, shotguns, snipers, rocket launchers, missile launchers, grenades, flame throwers, acid guns, the genocide gun and more. Many variations of each weapon type are also available to the ranger. The Rangers travelling speed is average.
• The Wing Diver, the airborne class composed exclusively of women who use high tech weaponry and jet packs. Their weaponry is primarily based on plasma and laser technology. The Wing Divers travelling speed is average, unless the class is using the jet pack. In which case, the Wing Diver has the fastest travelling speed in the game.
• The Air Raider, class specialized in the assistance of infantry and airborne soldiers. He uses special explosives and grenade launchers. The Air Raiders travelling speed is average. He is also capable of:
o Deploying health recovery field generators and force shields.
o Summoning vehicles into the battlefield
o Ordering air raids over designated targets.
• The Fencer, a heavily armored class with a variety of weapons. He is capable of taking four weapons into battle. The Fencers travelling speed is slow. Unless he is using his thruster. In which case he is faster than both the Ranger and Air Raider. His weapon selection includes:
o A deflective shield that cuts all damage taken while readied, although it overheats and goes offline if used for too long.
o A blast-hole spear that fires high-pressure plasma into anything you can stab it into, destroying it from the inside. It also has a side thruster that lets you thrust-dash around at high speed.
o A handheld Gatling gun that your suit is just powerful enough to carry around. It takes time to spin up and doesn't boast tremendous accuracy, but its rapid-fire properties are reliable in a pinch.
o A vibro-drive hammer that smashes anything in the vicinity.
o An armor-piercing hand cannon that deals a powerful blow, but leaves you unguarded for about a second after firing due to recoil absorption.
However, if you are a person looking for detailed customization of these characters, this is not the type of game for that. The only option for customizing is the characters’ armor color.
The game uses several vehicles such as:
• SDL1 Motorcycle: a motorcycle with a sidecar capable of transporting up to two players.
• Armored Ambulance: armored ambulance that transports ammunition and heals up to four players.
• Armored Personnel Carrier: an APC that can hold up to four players.
• Multiple Rocket Launcher: a one-player MRL vehicle.
• E551 Gigantus: a one-player tank.
• Epsilon Armored Railgun: a mobile railgun vehicle that can carry up to three players. One player uses the railgun and the other two use turrets to shoot enemies while the railgun recharges.
• E651 Titan: a tank that can carry three players. One person fires the Requiem cannon and the other two use the side turrets.
• EF24 Bazelato Combat Helicopter: a one-player combat helicopter.
• EF31 Combat Helicopter: a one-player advanced combat helicopter.
• HU04 Bruto: an armored helicopter with two turrets players can control. While they can shoot enemies in the sky, the Bruto’s side turrets can’t aim downwards. Up to three players can ride the Bruto.
• BM03 Vegalta Standard Ver.: One-player bipedal mecha that can take to the skies using jets on its feet and back. Armed with a Gatling Gun and arocket launcher.
• BM03 Vegalta Close Combat Ver.: One-player bipedal mecha that can take to the skies using jets on its feet and back. Armed with aflamethrower and a shotgun
• BMX10: Bipedal mecha armed with railguns and missile launchers.
The extraterrestrial invading forces known as the Ravagers are composed of two types of units: biological and mechanical.
• Black Ants: giant black ants that attack in vast numbers. Known attacks: bite, acid shoot.
• Red Ants: giant red ants, with stronger attacks and resistances than the black ones. Known attack: bite.
• Flying Ants: winged giant black ants. Known attacks: acid shoot.
• Spiders: giant tarantula-like creatures. Known attack: spider web shoot.
• Retiarius: giant spiders. Known attack: spider net.
• Bees: giant flying bee-like creatures. Known attack: sting shot.
• Giant Spiders: larger version of the spiders. Known attack: spider web shoot.
• Dragons: giant Chinese dragon-like monster that can fly at high altitude and walk in four legs. Known attacks: mouth flames, bite.
• Gunships: flying mechanical units. Known attack: energy shots.
• Red Gunships: flying mechanical units. Known attack: energy shots.
• Hectors: large bipedal robots with an assorted variety of weaponry carried on their arms. They can be deployed by carrier airships. Known attacks: energy shots, plasma shots.
• Giant Hectors: larger, stronger version of the regular Hectors. It is hinted that some may carry new defensive measures, such as force shields. Known attacks: energy shots, plasma shots.
• Unidentified flying vehicles: flying winged mechanical units. Not much is known about them.
• Shield Bearer: four legged unit capable of generate large force fields that can be penetrated only at slow speed (i.e. walking inside the protected area). Known attacks: none.
• Walking Fortress: giant four-legged, heavily fortified vehicles that can deploy biological and mechanical units. Known attacks: Plasma shots, laser shots.
• Carriers: giant airships that can deploy biological and mechanical units. Known attacks: none.
• Red Carriers: giant airships that can deploy biological and mechanical units. Known attacks: none.
• Mothership: gigantic airship that can deploy gunships and are armed with several laser cannons and a super cannon at the bottom. Known attacks: energy shots, laser shots, giant beam.
• UNKNOWN: mysterious ground mechanical unit. Known attack: laser shots.
Lastly there is DLC for purchase. Some DLC is exclusive depending on which system you have it on (PS3 or XBOX 360).
My overall final thoughts on the game are as follows:
• Very unique game-play
• Great and odd enemies
• Funny kills/deaths
• Interesting setting and plot
• Good replay value
• Fun online play (could add more)
• Unique classes
• Good controls
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2014 3:18:01 PM PST
‹ Previous 1 Next ›