100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end, May 26, 2010
This review is from: 24: Season 8 (DVD)
I came into this season expecting it to be the last. Fox had long maligned the fact that '24' was very expensive to make. They also cited lagging ratings (mostly due to the lackluster season 6 leaving a bad taste in viewers mouths and the WGA strike making the show almost irrelevant.) as a reason to ax the show. And besides, the concept was becoming a bit outdated. Even the tenor of season 8, with the world standing on the brink of an historic peace agreement, signified that 24 was coming full circle. The idea that peace could exist in a world of espionage and paranoia such as the one 24 dwelled in, was a big step toward a brave new world. The kind of thing you see when a show wants to go out with a bang. I was ready for it to end and am sad to see it go. The Machiavellian exploits of Jack Bauer have been must see television from Day One (November 6,2001) in my household. On Tuesdays at 9pm (Seasons 1-3) and Mondays at 9pm (Seasons 4-8), no one was allowed to bother me. I loved this show. As for season 8;
The first half really was tough to swallow. After seeing Doug Hutchison on Lost as a hippie running the Dharma Initiative, I really had trouble buying the Russian Merc angle. His accent was horrible. Davros really bothered me. Strike 1. Katee Sackhoff's character Dana Walsh was one of the most annoying main character in the history of the series (Marilyn Bauer really bugged me). Brian Hastings was a major tool. ANd I am sorry, I just can't take Freddie Prinze, Jr. seriously. Not all of the casting was bad, though. We did get Michael Madsen, Jurgen Prochnow, and David Anders this year. But for not nearly enough time. These actors were too good for the short arcs and cheap exits they made, especially in Anders case.
The plot was pretty straight forward until the fuel rods came into play. Then I was slightly annoyed. Arabs with Russian supplied nukes? AGAIN?! The stench of season 6 began to waft upward.
But, then, Omar Hassan died and the Russians took center stage and committed the worst mistake ever; killing girl Jack (Renee). Jack went off the deep end. And the series really caught fire again. Those last seven episodes of Jack acting as judge, jury, and executioner really made me think a ninth season would not be all that bad.
In the end, everyone stood accountable for their mistakes. And Jack was given time to run. The final goodbye with Chloe was poignant. The long last look up was, too. And then the clock reached zero on one of the more ground breaking and innovative series of this or any generation. It was so ground breaking, it could only copy itself (and did so a lot in season 8).
Now that this show is done, I am done with network TV. Really, how could anything top this show and Lost? So, it's the end of an era. Thank you, 24, for making it enjoyable.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2010 10:30:13 PM PDT
"Now that this show is done, I am done with network TV."

I feel the same way my friend. When the last ad on Hulu came up and asked, "Is this ad relevant to you?" I told it, "Nope, and no ad ever will be again". I don't know if I can ever put a show above ST:TNG, but 24 is right there with it. It was an amazing ride, and Jack Bauer is one of the great characters in TV, or any media, history.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2010 4:02:54 PM PDT
J. Rexroat says:
I don't think there will ever be another show like 24. This show took suspense, action, and emotion to a another level. For everything it had, shockingly it becomes a part of your family.

I get so tired of people complaining that it's repetitive and too much of the same. I think that's stupid. Everything gets old and we always seem to see a similarity in everything. That's why we call it the circle of life. You take it for what it's worth, see the good in it and enjoy it.

This show will be sorely missed and I don't know that I can ever attach myself to another show like I did this one.

Thank you to the cast and producers of 24 for making my Monday evening so enjoyable!!!!!

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 3:39:48 PM PDT
Butters - I commend you on the great review of the last season of 24. I don't think I disagreed with you on any point. Have to ad that I believe politics and right-wing extremists came into play in Season 6, using their influence to tone down what they considered "undue violence" on tv. I'm sorry, but have seen worse on cartoons watched by millions. Of course, I'm not saying I'm a conspiracy nut or anything like that - wink - but I do believe we are losing a lot of our freedoms as the years go buy. I will sorely miss the show; it was a staple in my home for 8 years, and as others have said, when it was on, no one could call me or talk to me. Jack became my hero from Season 1, saving the world, but unable to save his family. He always pretty much remained in control of himself, until the last two seasons - and I did not like that side of Jack and could not see the show succeeding when his motto became "Vengence is Mine." Now, without 24, and without Lost, what will I watch????? Have no clue - maybe nothing. But I do thank you again for your great and detailed review that said everything I would have said, so why repeat it. Best to you, cg

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 9:30:24 AM PDT
Right Face says:
""Now that this show is done, I am done with network TV."

Nahhh, c'mon now. :)

I said the same thing when Hill Street Blues went off. Then again when Homicide: Life On The Streets went off. Then X-Files. Then The Shield. Fortunately, there are still an (admittedly) few visionary writers and producers out there. Gems like 24 and those I mentioned are just unfortunately few and far between. I'll just keep my box sets dusted off and re-running until the next diamond comes along. ;)

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 2:43:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 2:44:57 AM PST
First off, great review and I pretty much agree with everything stated as well. As for network tv, the only real television that is worth watching now that this show is off the air resides on channels like HBO or AMC. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc etc etc are the only shows that take television anywhere near where 24 brought it. If you ever get the chance, check them out on dvd. I personally hated Lost because the writers were just aimless and moronic most of the time, but it does have it's fair share of television history when it did things right.

I couldn't help but tear up a bit when Jack finally said goodbye personally. It was like a real life hero was gone forever. He was a character written in such a way that every American is afraid to think unless it is in media essentially. I hope this show gets the recognition it deserves down the line because it deserves to be spoken of in the same context as something like The West Wing. It set afire many a debate throughout its history.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 7:15:06 AM PST
You all know it's not 'over-over' right?

There WILL be '24' movies as well... :)

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 8:12:39 AM PST
you ruined the season by telling those of us who planned to buy it and watch it what the major plot twist was!!! :(

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 1:05:51 PM PST

I waited for the DVD to come out to watch this season because I had such a hectic spring and missed so many episodes. What do I get for my trouble? You and your "review" giving away key plot points to the season! UNFORGIVABLE!

If you're going to publish material like that on a website, have the common courtesy to add a SPOILER WARNING!

It's people like you that ruin the internet and ruin great shows. I STRONGLY urge Amazon to either remove this review of the product or edit it with spoiler warnings.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 1:44:43 AM PST
Lewis Murdoc says:
I can relate to the posters complaining about the spoilers in this guy's review, but come on, unless you're new to the internet, you should expect spoilers in movie or book reviews on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 12:42:29 AM PST
Why are you looking at reviews if you are afraid of spoilers? How do you expect people to review something without talking about it (DUH!).

OH btw, its a DVD disc... its great, probably DVD quality (DUH!)....enough about quality of medium...ok?

Sounds like you aren't taking responsibility for your OWN actions...

I like to say this:

If you don't like snakes, stop looking under rocks... ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›