3.0 out of 5 stars NOT HORRIBLE BUT NOT NOTEWORTHY, December 22, 2008
This review is from: Anaconda 3: Offspring (DVD)
ANACONDA 3
THE OFFSPRING

Remember when J-Lo, Jon Voight and Ice Cube were battling a giant Anaconda, or when another group led by a J-Lo look a like did the same thing but against more, yeah those were the days. Well it seems that those days of a big budget [at least compared to this] theatrical released Anaconda movie are gone. But being that I am a fan of any and everything low budget I decided that I would give this a try, I bought it in order to have the whole collection. But that aside I still went into this knowing that it was a Sci-Fi Channel movie, so I knew it was probably not a classic.

I try to stay positive in most of my reviews because I know how much work went it these types of things but it is hard to get past the look of this film. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a low budget movie but compared to the first two it is hard to ignore. I would say that this looks a lot like "Lake Placid 2" so if you have seen that film you know what I am talking about, although that film may look better than this one. Another thing that gets me is the look of the snakes, I know this is a low budget film but the snakes from "Python" and "Boa" look better then these. On the plus side for a film like this it was shot pretty well thanks to Don E. FauntLeRoy that may be one of the few pluses to how the film looks.

I hate to say things like this but another thing that drags this film down a little is the script by David C. Olson and Nicholas Davidoff. It may not be the worst thing ever written but it still has its flaws, the story line in particular seems like every other creature running amuck type flick. The film is about a secret laboratory [can you see where this is going?] were tests are being done on over sized snakes, in fact it is the test drug that is making the snakes so big apparently. Well as if you did not know the snakes break loose and are out and about looking for some food. In comes the "professionals" that are called in to take care of this little problem. I know what you are thinking it sounds a lot like every other b creature feature, well you are right. I can't believe that a franchise that was based somewhat in reality has now become this. Director Don E. FauntLeRoy seems to do what he can with the script as the pace of the film moves along nicely and for the most part for this type of film the direction seems good. But the performances needed a little more work.

David Hasselhoff [yes that one] is actually pretty good in this film and makes for a believable snake hunter, especially towards the end his performance gets real good. John Rhys-Davies does a good job as expected for the short time he is in the film, as does the guy who plays Davis's right hand man who goes on the hunt with them. But other then those few everyone else ranges from average to just plain bad, are as disappointed as me? I really wanted this movie to be more then it was but I guess I have to settle with what I got. To be honest this film is not horrible it is just nothing note worthy, buy it if you want the collection but remember that a forth film in the series is coming.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2008 8:16:03 AM PST
THE GHOST says:
No way could I see this man. Good review tho.

Posted on Dec 22, 2008 9:48:54 AM PST
fmwaalex says:
You are not missing much man.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 11:53:33 AM PST
Scotty M. says:
Yeah I'm with Main Man on this. LOL. I seen the first one with J Lo and Ice Cube and Owen Wilson but it was a while ago. Good job man.

Posted on Dec 22, 2008 1:56:52 PM PST
fmwaalex says:
Thanks man, and thanks for stopping by.

Posted on Dec 23, 2008 11:14:51 PM PST
Woopak says:
I think I saw a preview of this on the sci-fi channel but I skipped it.
Don't Hassle the hoff!
happy Holidays and thanks for the superb review!

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 8:34:17 PM PST
You are 2 nice dude, bash away if necessary. I doubt I'll catch this, but great job man. Oh, Happy New Year!

Posted on Jan 4, 2009 2:52:26 PM PST
fmwaalex says:
Thanks for stopping by guys, and I assure you WP I would never hassle the Hoff sir, and C man I didn't feel the need to bash simply because I didn't care enough to, I knew this film would not be that great know what I mean?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 6:38:37 PM PST
Karen Shaub says:
I only watched this when forced to under pressure from an alleged "friend". The first one wasn't half bad and I've always sort of liked Owen Wilson, but sequels of this type go down of film hill rapidly. PYTHON wasn't bad either (as you say) for what it was. Or maybe I'm just partial to it becuase it was directed by an acquaintance of mine named Rick Clabaugh. I remember Rick's first film for our public broadcasting station's contast. It was a STAR TREK parody that he filmed at a local park. I suppose it was the highlight of his direcorial career. Before that he would have been best known as Director of Photography on THE PROPHECY films.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 9:20:42 AM PST
fmwaalex says:
Yeah sequels do go down hill fast, and Python was good for what it was. And that is cool that you know Rick Clabaugh, didn't even know he DP'd the Prophecy films.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.7 out of 5 stars (23 customer reviews)

$9.99