5.0 out of 5 stars So good I've seen it twice already!!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Skyfall (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I am a die hard Sean-Connery-as-James-Bond fan. I like most of Roger's and a couple of Pierce's. I was not happy when I first learned of Daniel Craig as the new Bond. Daniel who? Was my first reaction. Not another Lazenby, I thought...
I like Casino Royale, but it took me a couple of watches on DVD for it to grow on me. I didn't hate Quantum of Solace as much as others seem to, but then I saw Skyfall..... I love this movie so much that not one day has gone by when I haven't thought of it at least once. I saw it twice in one week, and I never do that when movies are in theaters. The writers of this film must be brought back for the next one, yes it has some minor similarities to The Dark Knight movies, but so what. I can not wait for the Blu Ray release. I hate to admit it, but this may just be my new favorite Bond movie. The only thing that would make it perfect for me would be if Connery were still young enough to play Bond. The opening sequence, the action, Javier as the creepy villain, the surprises in the end.. It's almost perfect. Bravo Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. Now do it again for Bond 24....

Oh...and did I mention the awesome theme song by Adele?? How perfect for the 50th year! Slightly reminiscent of Goldfinger theme, the Monty Norman 007 theme, very well done. Nobody does it better these days. Pun intended....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2013 10:04:04 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 3:44:11 PM PST
S. M. O. says:
Hmmm... It sounds like you were in the wrong theater!
Or did you miss the opening sequence? Or the motorcyles on the rooftops? Remember, the Daniel Craig films are a reboot, the gadgets should increase with the next film based on the new 'Q' entering the picture. Also, Severine and Eve had plenty of screentime...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:19:50 PM PST
@S.M. Ostrander: The motorcycle sequence was CGI. If you look at the trivia on IMDB, it stated that Skyfall had over 500 shots with CGI and is second for MOST CGI behind the abysmal Die Another Day. I actually enjoyed the Roger Moore series of films because it was easy to pinpoint when stuntmen were actually used. I didn't feel that the motorcycle chase at the beginning of the film was an elaborate stunt like what you'd get in past films, even those featuring Timothy Dalton.

I agree that the next couple of films should feature more gadgets and a return to the classic formula. I'm just not sure we'll see more elaborate stunts (I.e. the biggie jump off the dam in Goldeneye for example) in favor of shots laced with CGI. I even think that the fight on top of the train was all done with CGI.

Bond didn't get the girl in Skyfall. What he got was a dead M.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:58:01 PM PST
S. M. O. says:
Well I do not care if a stunt is CGI, Green screen or real as long as it looks real, and I did not notice them looking fake. Seeing an obvious stunt double's face ruins it for me, ( like in some of the older films) but the stunt person's safety is more important than a stunt being real.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:27:53 PM PST
@S.M Ostrander: I understand. These new reboot films have been blah for me overall. In some sense, I kinda like being able (in the old films) to discern which stunts were real and what was fake. Do you remember that one scene in Octopussy (I think) where some Indian villain is hugging the outside hull of a private plane as it's taking off. That seemed real to me. Or for example, in the same film, they flew this mini plane piloted by Roger Moore through a hanger. I guess because they didn't have CGI back then, these scenes were way more exhilarating to the viewer/audience. Back in Roger Moore's era, he would fight like an "Everyman" brawler. There wasn't any martial arts and you connected more with the character of 007 / related to him. This gave the character some charm. Craig's 007 is brutal and more like a special ops soldier. The fight scenes thus lose their charm. The new reboot could be any other film as a result.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 11:42:37 AM PST
N. A. Tuulia says:
Joel says: "I even think that the fight on top of the train was all done with CGI."

You do mean the Skyfall one, right? Well that shows how much you know. Daniel Craig and Ola Rapace were actually there, for real, on top of the moving train.

And you think it's better than a 00-agent is shown to fight like he's neither fit nor trained in martial arts? How the hell is that cool or charming? It just looks silly.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:01:25 PM PST
I didn't see Adele's song as resembling the "Goldfinger" theme at all. Maybe "Nobody Does It Better" a little bit, but that's from 1977's "The Spy Who Loved Me."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:09:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:15:56 PM PST
S. M. O. says:
I was talking about the production and arrangement being similar, not the tune.....

It has no musical resemblance to Nobody Does it Better. I know how to play both songs on piano and the chords are not remotely similar. The chords to Skyfall ARE similar to the Monty Norman 007 theme.
There is one SMALL part of the Goldfinger theme that uses the same chords as the 007 theme at the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:12:20 PM PST
S. M. O. says:
It could not be CGI. people are confusing CGI and green screen. I agree that this looks real and neither green screen nor CGI. CGI is usually lame. It is like watching a video game. CGI is animation.
I remember seeing or hearing somewhere that no Bond movie will ever have any CGi except maybe a little bit of enhancement on explosions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:36:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:39:21 PM PST
N. A. Tuulia says:
True, Bond movies are not big on CGI, never have been. It's used to enhance stuff, but not to create it unless for some reason necessary (like the Komodo Dragons). The train scene was not green screen, either, it was done for real, there's plenty of interview, photographic and filmed evidence of that. Joel just tries to discredit it because he claims there were no stunts and it was all faked. ;) Sam Mendes did tell Daniel Craig that he didn't have to go do a fight scene on top of a moving train (they could have just used stunt men etc.), but Craig wanted to, so there he is. His view always has been that whatever he can do, he will.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›