2.0 out of 5 stars Might work for certain games but..., March 27, 2014
This review is from: Grip-iT Analog Stick Covers (Video Game)
I bought these specifically to use with FIFA 14 as my thumbs were slipping off the new PS4 sticks more easily than the PS3 due to the new slicker finish on the rubber. Also, I heard nightmare stories about the surface ripping off the PS4 sticks more easily than PS3 and, with no less than 3 PS3 controllers sitting on my shelf with shredded thumbsticks due to hours of FIFA play, I figured these would be a good investment. During my first session of gaming after they arrived the left stick cover actually flew off the stick while I was making some pretty intense moves and rolled under my entertainment center never to be seen again. At least I think that's where it went because it's nowhere to be found. My friend kept using his but eventually took them off as well as they kept popping off in his hands while playing. In fairness the grip is good and did help with the thumb slipping issue, especially when your hands get sweaty, but it's not much good if they don't stay on. They may work for other games like shooters etc but I'm not a console FPS player so I couldn't say. For FIFA there is just way too much torque being applied to the stick during games for them to be effective. You would really need something with a locking attachment, not just rubber flipped over the stick.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2014 3:00:41 PM PDT
M. Hertel says:
I experienced the same thing, but would advise you not to give up. It took a few days but they eventually just "stuck" and they've been great in the month+ since. They've got a break in period. Maybe you won't end up needing them, but my left analog stick on the DS4 was shredded within a month of playing FIFA14, so these have been absolutely crucial to my continued enjoyment of the game.

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 5:51:43 PM PDT
C. Charlton says:
I read both your comments and found them useful to my situation.. I'm a sorta heavy FIFA player as well, but my issue isn't that my thumbs are slipping as much as the left stick is shredding, so I need something to cover it already. I think for only 5 bucks I'll just test these out and hope they work, if it's as Hertel says then that will be great for me.

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 11:32:10 PM PST
As a FPS, I would advice any buyer to stay away from this, if you play for more than 1 hour, you could get callus, due to the material, a least in the left stick (running). Spend a lil more and buy a Kontrol freak! This its not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2014 9:45:55 PM PST
Ricky T. says:
Ya definitely agreed,

I actually found grips from "OneSoul" who sell an 8-pack for 8$ here: OneSoul Thumb Grips for PS4 (PlayStation Dualshock 4) Controllers - Set of 8. I tried kontrol freeks but the raised design hurt my fingers pretty bad after playing for a while. The OneSoul grips come with raised ones too but I didn't use them, I used the shorter ones which actually work really great

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 5:04:34 AM PDT
Ted Riggs says:
You're somehow just too rough with your controllers. I'm a big gamer - honestly, clocking more hours in gaming than I do at work - and my DS3 grips are still perfect. Actually, until now, I've never heard of anyone's DS3 grips getting torn. The DS4 grips, on the other hand, are a different story. They really suck.
So yeah, either you're extremely rough with your controllers or you just have extremely calloused thumbs, in which case I would recommend some hand cream.

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 11:18:52 AM PDT
Thanks for this review. I'm a HEAVY FIFA player. Got my PS4 and within just a few months the left stick rubber was gone. If you use lots of skill moves it plays a part in the original rubber wearing very fast.
I currently have a callous on my left thumb due to no rubber so I was thinking of getting these but based on your comment I probably won't. Any idea which others work better for FIFA players?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›