Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

1,903 of 2,004 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars I'm not unreasonable, but this sucks., November 5, 2005
I'm not unreasonable, but I'm apparently the only one who thought this ice cream ball was crummy. I bought it for my three young children and I to make ice cream, and found it to be a pain. First, the capacity is only 2 cups, which is not a lot. Second, ice cubes from a standard ice cube tray are too large to fit into the opening for the ice and salt. You either have to have a crushed ice ice maker, purchase comercial ice or spend 15 minutes crushing the ice with a meat tenderizer mallet, like I did. I hoped that 5 ice trays of ice would be enough ice, but you need at least twice that much to keep the ball filled for the time required.

The instructions for the ball say that after ten minutes of mixing, to stir the ice cream. Sounds easy, but after you pry the lid off (with a special wrench they include with the ball so the ice cream mix can splatter everywhere) you have less than a 3 inch diameter to stir ice cream which is liquid on the inside core and frozen solid on the metal wall of the chamber six or seven inches deep. But wait, don't use anything metal to chip the rock hard stuff into the liqid stuff! I tried a silicon spatulta, a wooden spoon, and eventually took the silicone head off the first spatula and scraped the sides with the wooden handle wedge. (My neighbor and I both tried making ice cream and stiring every 5 minutes instead, didn't help to hard ice cream mixing very much.)

Of course, you get ice cream dripping down the sides, but the ball has little raised decorative ledges that catch the drips and funnel them into tight angled crevices that you need to use a mashed up paper towel corner, or a sharp knife tip with a dishcloth stretched over it to get out so you don't end up rolling sticky ice cream batter into what ever surface you are playing with the ball on. There are mini chocolate chips stuck in some of those grooves I haven't been able to get out after multiple washings, as well.

If you get this far, the end result is not very creamy or very smooth. We tried rolling, shaking, tossing, in many different combos and still couldn't get smooth textured ice cream. The recipes enclosed that I tried tasted cheap and not like any ice cream I'd pay for twice. I tried my own recipes, but the inability to mix adequately through the small opening into the deep canister made for hard crystal type lumps.

Overall, it may be a fun novelty for children, but it is a pain in the rump to use. You can do the same thing for a lot less with the same 2 cup capacity with a gallon and quart ziplock bag and just squishing it. I wish we had put the thirty bucks towards a hand crank or electric freezer, instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2008 10:33:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2008 12:12:17 PM PDT
¤ Candi ¤ says:
"You can do the same thing for a lot less with the same 2 cup capacity with a gallon and quart ziplock bag and just squishing it."

Wow, seriously? That never occurred to me. It's a great idea, though--and far more portable than this ball contraption. I shall try your jury-rigged idea on our next camping trip. Thanks for the tip!

=====
Edit: Don't know what the to-do was about, because I didn't see the response to my comment and now it's deleted. But I was NOT being sarcastic. I really was (am!) intrigued by this idea.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2008 6:39:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 27, 2009 9:55:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 6:24:12 PM PDT
mommyjillyb says:
Um... I don't think Candace was being sarcastic. We've made ice cream this way on camping trips, and it works great. You use the double plastic bags and wrap the whole shebang in tinfoil in a rough ball shape and let the kids throw and kick it for awhile. The kids loved it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 6:55:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 27, 2009 9:54:43 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 6:35:06 AM PDT
Padre Bear says:
We use the two bag system at our church camp with kids all the time. It works fine and the kids enjoy it. That being said they enjoy the ball all the more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2008 12:13:57 PM PDT
This can also be accomplished with coffee cans.

Posted on Jul 26, 2008 12:11:51 PM PDT
Mel_Cali says:
Get out! You can make ice cream in a baggie? lol We'll have to try that at camp too. Even if it doesn't work out it still sounds fun and worth a shot - TY for the idea :)

Posted on Jul 29, 2008 9:47:38 AM PDT
gimeni says:
I enjoyed reading your comment. Hilarious! I can picture every step of the process...lol.

Posted on Aug 2, 2008 12:54:17 PM PDT
T. Kilbourne says:
Lisa - a truly funny and great review.
It is also comforting to know that there are others who live on the same planet and under the same physical laws that I do.

Posted on Aug 13, 2008 6:51:40 AM PDT
C. Lindsey says:
Fantastic, hilarious review. Thanks from a mom who knows where you are coming from!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›