5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Stylish, September 15, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 3 NP300E5C-A03US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Blue Silver) (Personal Computers)
This is a 2 part review. 2nd part is in response to the reviewer who gave this laptop a low rating for a 100 MHz typo.

Runs as I expected and looks stylish. My wife can take this to work and people seem to look at it quite a bit.
Has Samsung included apps for the general public to make everything easier. Samsung easy Migration works much better than the Easy Transfer from Windows.

Pro's
* Fast and smooth.
* Stylish Blue tint.
* Clear screen with typical resolution.
* Lighter than expected which is a plus for her.
* Samsung apps seem to be fluid
Con's
* 2.5 instead of 2.6 GHz (minor typo)
* Bloatware. Personally I hate Norton products because they are so intrusive and it takes more than just the uninstall to remove.

This was purchased to replace my wifes aging Lenovo G530 with a 2 Ghz T6400 C2D. Mostly she uses her laptop for facebook, shopping, minor games, and documents. She also uses her company VPN and Quickbooks but that is almost the extent of her laptop useage.
Being that she does so little, this is more than enough machine for her. However I bought it because she was looking at a few games and her previous machine could not play much of anything. For example she likes the Sims 3, and a few puzzle games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a Systems Engineer for a Fortune 500 company and I get to play with a lot of different toys. Laptops, Desktops, Servers, etc. and 10 years ago I could scarcely notice the difference in a 1.4 Ghz AMD Thunderbird or a 2 GHz Willamette Pentium 4. And that was a 600 Mhz difference. Even people who can Max out a CPU with Video editing or CAD Design can not notice a 100 Mhz difference. If they can I want that talent.

When a review is written, it should use the following (or similar) standards;

1. Brief Opening Description telling what drew you to this particular product.
2. List of PRO's(if any) ie. Weight, size, color, or it makes your bed. Whatever you think is a Pro List it.
3. List of CON's (if ANY) ie. Weight, size, color, or it doesnt make your bed. OR as in this case, The description has a typo like, "The description states this is a 2.6 Ghz Intel i5-3210 but in reality it is a 2.5 Ghz Intel i5-3210 if this will make any difference."
4. Last would be your conclusion ie. What you think about it, any advice for readers, what you could not get it to do, and so on.

You dont give a negative product review based on a 100 Mhz typo. That is not fair to the product, the Manufacture, or potential purchasers. Many people rely on the reviews and while most people cannot tell the difference in 100 Mhz, if they see a laptop that is 2.6 Ghz for 5 dollars cheaper that doesnt have a negative review then they will go there. But is it the best laptop for them? Who knows but they did not see a serious review for the other one so they passed.

Conclusion: This laptop is well worth the money. Samsung usually builds quality and their support is good if needed. I use some of their various products and like most things there are bad ones here and there but so far this is not one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 16, 2012 9:59:21 AM PDT
Sandal says:
Gene - thanks for the review and your comments about reviews in general. I aways read them rather than just look at star rating. Is the RAM configured as 2+2GB or a single 4GB? Just trying to compute the cost of upgrading. Other concerns are the 1366X768 display (after HiDef desktop monitor these usually look awful to me) and the 5400 drive speed. I need something where I can really see the photos I'm editing and run the casual games I'm addicted to but the price on this is attractive.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:33:07 AM PDT
WyzrdX says:
Thank you for your comment.

This laptop is easy to upgrade. It comes with 1 4GB DIMM installed so you can add a second for a cheap upgrade to 8GB. And there is only 1 screw to remove to access the upgrade area.
As for the screen, 1366x768 is your typical low end resolution for laptops. They are good for basic task and for people that have trouble seeing (like my wife). I would not recommend this resolution for photo or video editing as you can not see what is needed. I personally use a MBP with an upgraded screen @ 1680x1050. I did not want nor need the Retina screen but I do lots of video editing for my blog.
And now for the HDD. The 5400RPM is nothing spectacular by any means. I cant tell you how it will work for you as I took the SSD from her old laptop and put it in this new one.

For what you are wanting for photo editing, etc. I would recommend finding another laptop. The Samsung Series 5 usually have higher resolutions and some come with 7200 rpm HDD's. But in this price range this is your typical specification package. I was just glad I could get her an Ivy Bridge Laptop that could handle her games and work that was not too much more than she needed.

Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 11:55:24 AM PDT
Sandal says:
Thanks for the reply, and helping to make up my mind. I guess this is not the machine for me unless it's a spare. I have my eyes on an ASUS with Ivy Bridge i7, 1920x1080 display and a 7200 drive but the price just went up $80 about an hour after I was ready to click on "buy now" then hesitated as it was a decision better made in the light of day:) Fingers crossed it'll come down again or a better Samsung will show up in my price range.

I have had very good luck with Samsung products - TV, cell phone, etc. so will also look for better prices on their higher end machines. I like their matte displays. So much easier on these tired eyes than all that shiny stuff.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:40:09 AM PDT
Takah says:
Hello Gene. I really liked your review, very detailed and clear.
Now I´m currently with no computer, I have to buy one as soon as possible and I can´t spend more than 500 dollars on a new one. Knowing the quality of the Samsung products I wouldn´t doubt in buying it and with this price ... its a bargain. I would use the laptop for college, watching videos, facebook, etc, but what about games? Do you know if this can run more than just "minor games", I mean if this machine can take titles like battlefield 3, dirt 3, counter strike global offensive and so on in at least decent fps? (of course with low details) I´ve seen reviews @youtube of other laptops with the exact same processor and integrated graphics running the games mentioned above pretty well, but I want to know if it this one can do that as well. the second thing I would want to know is how this laptop handle the heat while doing heavy tasks.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 1:34:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 1:34:38 PM PDT
Anthony says:
Quick question Gene is the color of the laptop more silver than blue just as it is pictured on the amazon page? I considering buying this if the blue is not too overwhelming, thanks for the help.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:59:29 AM PST
C. Moffett says:
This was the BEST review of a product that I've ever read--THANK YOU!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:25:19 AM PST
L. Mills says:
Great job calling that guy (or girl) out on their bad review. I agree with your review in that this laptop is a very good buy for the money, especially if you get it on sale for $499. To combat the bloatware issue, I simply reformatted and reinstalled everything.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (67 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $349.00