5.0 out of 5 stars Killer start up bundle, May 22, 2014
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D EFS 18-135mm IS STM Kit + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens + 64GB SD HC Memory Card + Tiffen Photo Essentials Filter Sets (2) + Replacement Battery + AC/DC Rapid Mini Battery Charger for Canon + Accessory Kit (Electronics)
I've used the 7D and 5D, mostly for video and I like this one better than those in that context. Firstly, it's up to Canon standard quality which is a very good thing. It's solidly well made even though I'd prefer a metal body but given my proximity to salt water this may be a good thing.

I like several things about the 70D over the 7D. Firstly is the touch screen. Whilst I still prefer the traditional video camera approach of having control switches on the body, I can get to any function I need, on screen, with a touch of my thumb. Not perfect but best I've seen from Canon.

Next, the flip out monitor screen. "So you mean I don't have to lie on the ground to get that shot?" Nope. Nor do I have to guess at what I'm getting when the camera's over my head. Why hasn't Canon made this standard for all of their bodies? Probably because some luck head will be careless and break it off. I may still do that but for the moment, I love it.

Best for last. Audio meters on screen whilst recording. Worst thing about DSLRs and video is the "guess and forget" approach to sound. I'd rather like a headphone jack on the body but until that happens I can live with this. They all don't have this, why?

I like the 18-150 lens but I'd like it to be faster. My XH A1 lens is 20x and starts at f2. The 55-250 has been good at getting in really close but has real problems with vignetting at the far end. You won't die from it but it's a long way from L series. The fact that it's made if polycarbonate doesn't bode well for longevity.

In the end it's a bundle with good value for a great kit. The vendor worked out a few niggles quickly and proactively. I appreciate that.

If you want a DSLR for video, this is it

[Add comment]