1.0 out of 5 stars I'm rating the bowling ball special edition DVD, NOT the movie!, September 10, 2008
This review is from: The Big Lebowski - 10th Anniversary Limited Edition (DVD)
The Big Lebowski is on my top ten list of all time best films. I've seen A LOT of films by the way. I don't need to explain to anyone why this movie is so brilliant, and why it continues to be a cultural phenomenon. I mention these things first because I don't want people to feel like I'm giving the film one star. If I could I would give the movie 100 stars. What I'm giving such a poor review for is my distaste for movie studios pumping out special editon dvd's every few years because they know a film has a huge following. This new "bowling ball" edition of Lebowski is further proof that Universal has nothing but contempt for the fans of Big Lebowski. They wrap it up in a nice big package and make it look slick, but that's as far as the creativity goes into supplying anything new in terms of extras. Does anyone remember the terrible repackage they gave it a few years ago with a towel and coasters? No actual extras existed, but they still put it out as a revamped "deluxe edition". Well, don't expect much more here.
The only new extras to this edition are four very brief featurettes. They feature new interviews with all of the major players (with the exception of the Coen brothers, of course), but they mostly just sit around and say stuff like, "It's a great film! It's hilarious! Coen Brothers are geniuses!". Err, yeah, we know all of that. It also has a featurette that centers around the Lebowski Fest which is vaguely interesting for a few minutes until it turns into the same old "Lebowski is great!" territory. The featurettes are a snooze fest to say the least.
What really annoyed me with this DVD, though, is that they included the SAME "Making of Big Lebowski" documentary that has been on every release of this film! Not only that, it looks as if it was recorded from an old VHS tape and plastered onto a full screen format. It looks horrible, and what's more, we've all seen it before! How many times is Universal going to pump out the same damn extras to the same audience?? It's an insult to be charged more and more money for the same mediocre extras that were never that good to begin with. Luckily I was able to rent this and didn't actually buy it! "The Big Lebowski" will NEVER have proper extras until the people who created it (the Coen Brothers) are involved. We want a commentary, a full length documentary with in-depth interviews, and deleted scenes (and plenty of them!).
DON'T BUY THIS EDITION. It's junk! Simply keep the edition you already have (the very first edition) safely knowing that you are not missing anything with any other edition!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2008 6:16:40 PM PST
Greg Moran says:
Thanks for the insightful review. Saved me some money and answered all my questions!

Posted on Dec 21, 2008 6:59:38 PM PST
This was a VERY helpful review. Exactly what I want to know before I spend my money on a 'special edition'. Good job.

Posted on Dec 31, 2008 9:52:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2008 10:19:04 AM PST
The man has good advice here. (at least I think it's a man, he seems to think like one) I always buy original editions as I've long been wary of empty marketing schemes. The quality is in the movie, not the packaging and assorted gee-gaws they might give you with it. I'm not a big movie watcher, but I bought this DVD because it's my son's favorite movie and that made me curious. Truth is, I find most movies to be poor quality and a waste of my time, but not this one. Since he loves it so much and he's not a moron, I knew it couldn't suck, and boy, was he right! He even joined a bowling league because of it. This movie is dumb yet brilliant, mundane yet surreal, sad yet funny, and shallow yet profound. It should be part of anyone's DVD collection. It's better than Animal House, Porky's, Meatballs, Back to School, or even Caddyshack. It's at least as good a Pulp Fiction, one of my all-time faves, and similar in that it's also produced in an unorthodox style. To call it a comedy is to ignore much of its content. It's much more than a comedy. It's downright philosophical, and not in today's ever-prevalent politically correct, make-me-wanna-puke fashion.

Posted on Jan 4, 2009 12:19:53 PM PST
Thanks for slapping some sense back into me. I was so mesmerized by the packaging that I almost forgot that I already own The Big Lebowski and have watched it about two dozen times. I also apologize for almost being the type of person that drives the market for this stuff. Almost.

Posted on Jan 8, 2009 2:14:01 AM PST
Evil Jim says:
You rented the bowling ball?? Just kidding. Thanks for elaborating to justify your 1-Star review. I'm glad it's on the packaging & not the movie itself. It's an interesting repackaging of the DVD but really only suitable for first-time buyers. If I didn't already have the DVD I'd be tempted to buy the ball but as it is I'm satisfied with the features I already have.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 8:59:31 PM PST
M. Fulkerson says:
yeah, I guess it is kind of hard to rent the bowling ball, huh?? Actually, I saw the ball at the store, almost bought it, but remembered the older "special edition" that I DID buy which had nothing but useless crap (a towel and some coasters) with it, so I then went and rented it instead.
I'm really glad my review is being well-received. I felt that someone needed to thoroughly verbalize how disappointing it is to be used as a guinea pig in Universal's marketing schemes. After all, The Big Lebowski is a very special film, and the hardcore fans, myself included, are the ones who have made it so. I feel that this fact should be rewarded by the film studio taking special time and care to make SURE an appropriate special edition is made.
Here's hoping......

Posted on May 1, 2009 12:56:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2009 12:58:05 PM PDT
I have found that the best version of this movie, is simply the HD DVD version. Until the same version comes out on Blu Ray, it isn't leaving my collection at all for something else. I personally have a feeling we aren't going to see anymore add-ons or features b/c the movie did pretty bad in the theaters, and it wasn't until years later that the popularity really began to grow. Unless Universal put down the money (probably several thousands of dollars) to get all those guys together, make a new feature...blah blah blah...I think what we have is all we will ever had. Personally, I am more interested in the visual and audio quality, and the HD DVD version is where it is at.

Also, remember this movie came out in 1998 when DVD extras weren't main stay on DVD's. Heck, I don't think it was until the early 2000's that we saw quality extras on DVD's anyway.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 3:54:44 AM PST
Mr. Markus says:
Thanks Dude, I will mark it zero.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 10:00:07 AM PST
dude you're being very un-dudelike.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 9:57:13 AM PDT
Jacek Macias says:
That's what happens Larry when you...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,606 customer reviews)
 (1,199)

Used & New from: $39.10
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

M. Fulkerson
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Portland, Oregon