2.0 out of 5 stars Crash, crash, CRASH, August 23, 2013
This review is from: ASUS G10AC-US002S Desktop (Personal Computers)
We actually bought two of these machines. Both of them crash constantly (blue screens or random reboots). On one of them, I've upgraded the power supply and graphics card. The other is stock out-of-the-box. The one I modified is slightly more reliable...it runs pretty well and only crashes once every couple of days, as long as I don't play any games on it (then it'll lock up within 15 minutes). The other one crashes a couple of times a day, even when sitting idle. We've tried removing/updating drivers, we'ce run registry cleaners and so forth, but nothing seems to help. Minidumps indicate it's some kind of driver conflict but I can't figure out which driver is causing the issue.

I really, really regret this purchase. When I spend this much on a computer I expect it to work. All we have now are headaches.

The drive comes partitioned as though the system has an SSD in it (but it doesn't, and it's a single physical drive) so you have a 150 GB C: drive and a 2.56 TB D: drive. You'll want to move all your Win 8 "Libraries" over to that D: drive. There's no recovery partition as far as I can tell, you of course don't get physical media and you'll have to find a utility to expose your Windows 8 serial number...they don't put a sticker on the outside of the case.

I have an ASUS laptop that I'm pretty happy with, but I won't be buying any more ASUS desktops. They include all kinds of bloatware (including McAfee, which we immediately uninstalled) some of which phones home to ASUS servers. Things like product registration and utilities to update the bios. None of these work because their servers time out.

Now when the machines ARE working, they're really nice machines. Very quiet and of course, very fast. I voided the warranty on the one I've upgraded, but that gave me a peak inside the case and it's roomy and really easy to work in. If I had physical media I'd just reformat the drives and install Windows from scratch and see if that fixed the problem (and I could re-partition the drive then, too).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2013 10:51:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2013 10:51:21 AM PDT
I had the exact same experience with this model; ugg, I just replaced it with the identical model and I pray we are just the unlucky few. But yep, completely random blue screen crashes somewhere between 4 and 20 times a day. On the plus side, usually it takes like 30 seconds to get fully back up to speed; this used to take 3-5 minutes on my old computer. I believe the longest it has run was possibly for 20 hours or so before crashing. And crashes happen as often under load as they do at full idle.

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 7:27:23 PM PDT
Joshua Hill says:
I bought it as well... It's just garbage..This is the second, and last Asus product I will ever buy. I've got it down to crashing just 2-3 times a day through extensive trouble shooting. My next steps are going to be, repurchase windows 8 and partition the hard drive myself, or gut it for parts. Wouldn't be surprised if they screwed up the bios either.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2013 8:28:08 AM PDT
We're trying to wait it out until Windows 8.1 then we're going to do the same thing... just wipe it clean and re-install and hope for the best. I love (sarcasm!) all the Asus utilities that never work because the servers are unreachable. There's an app called Asus Easy Update that, whenever I run it, immediately crashes. Lovely.

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 9:38:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 21, 2013 9:38:24 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 9:40:08 AM PDT
Kevin Felde says:
I was considering purchasing this model until I saw all of these comments; I'm having serious second thoughts now. I was actually going to "downgrade" the system to Windows 7 Professional after purchasing it; obviously, I'm not sure if that would make any difference, either better or worse. And these reviews of the system on Amazon are the only ones I've been able to find anywhere online, so there isn't any contradictory positive information to consider.

Have any of you had any success in overcoming these problems?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2013 8:51:51 PM PDT
Joshua Hill says:
Kevin,

I haven't had the time to mess with it much lately. I've had reason to believe it may (FINGERS CROSSED) have been being caused by my razer naga making bad calls. Although I doubt Peter is using a naga/razer mouse (or maybe you are?). The last error code I got was a 0x139 with a 3 parameter, indicating a corrupted list entry, which may have been caused by the mouse...or anything else. Honestly, build your own. If you can't, find a friend who can, and ask for their help. that being said, after Asus finally released a working bios for my laptop, that thing is a champ, which is why I bought this computer. The level of trouble shooting I've had to go through with their equipment isn't what I want to deal with as a consumer, though. I could have easily built my own, which would have been far less work.

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 2:59:17 PM PDT
Matthew Cox says:
Regarding your lockups when gaming - get an app that shows you the GPU temperature. Are your crashes happening when the GPU is above ~83-85 degrees celsius? The GPU is probably overheating. (Another indicator - you'll hear the fans running louder than normal.) If this is the issue turn down the graphics settings a bit, or try capping the framerate to 30 fps. That will drop the temperature 10-20 degrees! I had a couple of crashes in a game with everything set to "Ultra" - it turned out I was overheating the GPU. I set the frame rate to 30fps and can still run everything on ultra now at only 59 to 71 degrees celsius. No more crashes! You can force a frame rate limiter to 30fps in the updated NVidia drivers control panel by setting the refresh rate to half. (Go to nvidia's website & install current driver.) Alternatively you could lower other options. Just keep your GPU temp under 82 degrees or so!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 7:01:09 AM PDT
Hi Kevin,

I sprang for a non-OEM Windows 8.1 license (pre-ordered it through Amazon in fact) and when it comes I'm going to re-partition the drive and install Windows 8.1 completely clean. I'm hoping that solves my issues.

I will say that things are better now. My last crash was 10/7 (I'm writing this on 10/11) and the one before that was on 9/26 (though I haven't been playing any games on it). Upgrading the BIOS is what seemed to finally improve stability (when I first got the machines they'd crash several times a day, often when they were sitting idle).

I'll report back after I do the re-install and have run it for a few days.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 7:02:10 AM PDT
Nope, Logitech mouse here. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 7:27:40 AM PDT
Kevin Felde says:
Hi all,
Thanks for all the updates and feedback. I actually decided to got out on a limb and give the system a try after I found another online retailer who had a no-questions asked 30 day return policy and a really good price. I've had this system up and running for 2 weeks now without a hiccup. I've been VERY slowly migrating my programs and user data from my old system, making sure at each step that programs function properly. I'm still only running a few applications: Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw, Microsoft Office, iTunes, Norton Internet Security. So far the only issues I've had are trying to navigate Windows 8. I've also installed a third-party Start button program ("StartIsBack") that makes working with Windows 8 much more user friendly. That "Start Screen" is for the birds.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›