1.0 out of 5 stars Just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's spiritual and of God, September 8, 2005
This review is from: The Purpose Driven Life (Hardcover)
(I could not finish reading the rest)
A church I had gone to had gone through this study of "40 days of purpose" and used this book as a guide (as opposed to using the word of God). The youth group I was attending there even did their own little study and gave us binders with daily readings. I had read some of it and missed some days, because there was something about it that discouraged me from reading it. I felt God's spirit gently tugging me away from it; I felt that he didn't want me to read it, though for awhile I kept trying to deny it. Then I couldn't concentrate every time I tried to read it, no matter how hard I tried.

The stuff I had read was more guilt driven, that Church wanted to use this when they wanted more numbers of people in the church and the people to get on board with what was going on in that church.Ever since this church used that book I had noticed it became more focused on entertainment and getting more people in the church than making sure we're spiritually fed with healthy spiritual food. When my sister read this it created guilt inside her that wasn't there before; not conviction, it had nothing to do with sin, but feeling like she hadn't done enough service for the church and in my opinion she had/was doing a very generous amount of service. As a result she also became down and depressed.

My family has now left this church and we are now studying the bible as a family, testing greek and hebrew texts along with other english versions, having our own spiritual gathering at home, and to tell you the truth, I feel more spiritually satisfied now than I have ever been at any church that I've ever gone to ever since my family left that church. What led us to leave? Stuff like "40 days of purpose" in which is taking the church to "seeker friendly" is not what we wanted. We want the word of God preached and Christ to be glorified.

Remember to test all things, don't read a book and believe every single word someone says just because they've had a degree of some place or some specialty, or just because they say they're a pastor or even a christian - that's relying on man; test it whether it's of God or not. Don't even just take my word for it if you wish and test if for yourself, let God show you things you've never dreamed of before. :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 9:21:27 PM PDT
J. Arnoldus says:
Amen.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 1:17:27 AM PDT
I'm confused: your book review doesn't review the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 3:07:02 AM PDT
Tom Oakes says:
"I'm confused"

So is everyone who read this book.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:24:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2012 5:55:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:55:18 PM PDT
Curt Story says:
Astute observations. I read this book a few years back and felt the pull to be "guilted into service" too--but I didn't let it get to me. Christians shouldn't be living by guilt, but by their hearts! Moreover, the assumption that our lives are either "purpose-filled" or purposeless is a false dichotomy which assumes that 'pupose' equals activity. Sometimes simply quiet or listening to God is far more purposeful--our personal relationship with Jesus is more important than "getting with the church program".

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:57:15 AM PST

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:52:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:53:08 PM PST
Eric B says:
As a member of Saddleback Church I can tell you that the book is not meant to guilt someone into service and if that is how you're feeling then either you are misinterpreting the book or you're turned off by the fact that your pastor is as you say is using the book to get more numbers into the church. In any case you should not let someone else's intentions or ulterior motives keep you from reading further into the book. You're saying to test it of whether it's God or not. The whole pretext of the book is to show people the 5 purposes that God has for your life. Which is to 1) "center" your life around him as the lord commands us to worship him Mt 22: 37-38 2) connect with other believers which means to fellowship Heb 10:25, Acts 2:41-42, 46 3) grow in spiritual maturity by staying in God's word and teaching it to others which is called discipleship Heb 6:1, 5:12 4) contribute something back or minister to others 1 Peter 4:10, Ps. 116:12 and 5) spread the good news about the precious Gift of salvation from Jesus 2 Corinthians 5:18, 20. And God would not "gently" tug you away from something that will help him to accomplish his purpose for you and he would definitely not make you feel guilty as God is not the author of guilt. That comes from the evil one. And as far as testing all things. Remember when God tested someone's faith and prepared them for his purpose he took 40 days which is the theme of "40 days of purpose". Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days, when Noah was in the ark God made it rain 40 days and 40 nights, when the city of Nineveh rebelled against God he gave them 40 days to change, God gave Elijah 40 days of strength from a single meal, David accepted the challenge of Goliath for 40 days, God transformed Moses on Mount Sanai in 40 days. I would suggest that you read the purpose driven life again and on your own without the hype of your church and read it along with the bible and you will see that it aligns with the word of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:28:36 PM PST
Mary W. says:
It wasn't God tugging you away from the book....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2013 11:49:25 AM PDT
L. Whin says:
Excellent response, Eric B. I don't go to Saddleback, but I agree with your assessment of the book. Rick teaches the same discipleship concepts that my church teaches. I don't feel guilted into any of these things, but I know that God wants me to be a vital and active part of His body. My church has a 3-part call to its members, Worship, Connect (in small groups and other studies), and Serve (this church and His kingdom). They don't force us to participate in these three, but many in our congregation do. And our church is continually growing! Some large churches become large by telling people what they want to hear, and some become large by doing things right. I know that Rick is doing things right!

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 9:18:07 AM PDT
How tragic this dear child of God has missed something so essential to believers: assembling together with them. He/she has swallowed the bait, taken offense over a normal human weakness among believers, and quit! John the Baptist was offended over even Jesus, and from His viewpoint he had a right to be; Jesus did not visit him in prison, and He was mingling with sinners and living a life so different than the austere lifestyle of this Nazarite. But Jesus said, "Blessed is he who is not offended in me." Please read John Bevere's book, The Bait of Satan. Humble yourself, for "there is none righteous, no not one." God desires mercy, not sacrifice. I know there's the extreme--liberalism. I'm as conservative as they get, but I've also learned that God rules from a throne of Mercy, not judgment. "So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment" (James 2:12-13).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,882 customer reviews)
 (1,114)