3.0 out of 5 stars Good Stylus, Bad Price!, May 29, 2011
This review is from: Wacom Tech Corp. Bamboo Stylus for iPad/Tablets (Electronics)
The Wacom Bamboo stylus for iPad works rather well. In my experience it draws respectably and feels good in the hand. The Bambou has a soft rubber tip that reacts serviceabily on the iPad screen. A rubber tip stylus works much better than a sponge tipped stylus, like the Pogo. However, Boxwave, Acase, and Targus all make very good rubber tip styli that work nicely , perhaps even better than the Bamboo stylus, and on Amazon they cost anywhere from half to one third the price.

Unfortunately I see no real advantage to the Bambou stylist. The tip isn't smaller then any of the aforementioned styli and if the tip wears out you can't replace it. It's true the Bambou is a bit heftier than the other styluses, but in use, a heavier stylist tends to tire your hand out more and after several hours of drawing or typing this can be most tiresome.

Wacom is a very well-respected name in the tablet industry. They make excellent products. This is a good product at an outrageous price. If Wacom would work to redesign this stylus with a smaller, replaceable and more responsive tip it might justify the price. For the time being, until the price comes down in half, I would recommend going after one of several less expensive and as good alternatives. There's just no advantage to this stylus.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2011 12:32:23 PM PDT
Help me out please. In your review, you state that the tip cannot be replaced, but the item Technical Details reads 'Replaceable rubber tips'. Which is it? I could justify the additional cost of this stylus if the tips CAN be replaced. I have found that the rubber tips tend to start dragging at the third month mark (heavy use) and, at that point, its time to buy a new stylus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 11:06:48 PM PDT
Bob Bauer says:
I wrote to Waycom support & they confirmed that the tips are replaceable. They will be sold in packs of 2, but they are not available anywhere yet. No date for availability, but "check back at our website regularly."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 6:38:31 AM PDT
Thank you so much Bob for verifying. I should have done exactly what you did to check into this. My Roocase stylus is starting to get tacky after only 2 months of use. It isn't Rooscase fault, it is just the nature of silicone based tips.
It was an intelligent move on the part of Wacom to make a stylus with replacable tips. I'm ordering mine now.
Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 1:19:35 PM PDT
S. Allen says:
I agree on the price, why in the hell are they selling it for $12 ABOVE the suggested retail price?
You can buy this ANYWHERE else for $29.95.
$42 is absolutely ridiculous

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 1:38:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2011 1:42:00 PM PDT
When this post was originally written, the price for this item was the retail price of 29.99. Since the demand has exceeded the supply, the price has risen. I ordered mine on 07/01, it still hasn't shipped. None of the stores in the local area have it in stock.
Search for it on the big auction site, just for fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 5:56:42 PM PDT
S. Allen says:
Ahhh, OK, yeah they can damn well keep it for $42.
Dang been a month already and sounds to me like it will be several more weeks if not more than a month before any come in.
I sent them an email earlier and just got a response.
I asked when they may be in stock and "will replacements tips be available"?

This was their response to me.

"The Bamboo Stylus is currently on backorder. There are no retail locations at this time that have them either. The demand for this product is large and we can only produce so many. This pen might be available for purchase sometime in August at your local BestBuy or Staples. Please try back around this time.""

Doesn't say anything about the tips which for me is the ONLY reason I am interested in this stylus, in fact I will never buy another stylus if the tips are not replaceable. I am done buying styluses that only last 2 months or so before the tip rips.
I sent him another email asking about the tips but no response yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 7:28:36 PM PDT
S. Allen says:
I found another stylus with a replaceable tip that I am going to try.

elago® Stylus Slim for All iPhones, iPad(Air/Mini) and Galaxy Tab -World First Replaceable Tip (Extra Rubber Tip included)-(Jean Indigo)

Comes with an extra tip, I have just sent them an email to see if they sell extra tips if so then I have found my stylus and it only cost $9

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 8:11:41 PM PDT
Thank you so so for sharing! Replacable tips are a must for me as well, I burn through them in about 2 months, I'm happy that elago offers an alternaative.
Again, thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 11:12:03 PM PST
M. Gattus says:
Wacom sells the tips via their phone support, of all places. I called to inquire about availability and the CS girl I was speaking with said she could take an order from me. Two tips cost $6.99 with no shipping fee and I had them within three days. They were shipped ups standard but

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 4:40:37 AM PST
DukeTogo1300 says:
Looks like they come in 3-packs for $4.95 now:

At about $25 shipped that makes this stylus the most impressive value I've seen.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (1,173 customer reviews)

$24.95 $17.95