5.0 out of 5 stars A Thematic Masterpiece, March 30, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: BioShock Infinite - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Bioshock games tend to be extremely ambitious both in storytelling and the choices one can make in the game; whether those choices involve the plot or the gameplay itself. Is Bioshock Infinite any good though? Especially compared to the excellent first Bioshock? The answer is a resounding yes. Let us detail the ways:

Narrative: I've always considered the first Bioshock's story to be rather light other than the massive twist in the middle of the game, but Bioshock Infinite does not suffer from this. The main character Booker and the damsel-in-distress he must save are both fascinating characters. The ending is phenomenal and the game is worth playing just for that. The only downside to the story is the lack of clarity when it comes to the consequences of one's choices. And this paragraph is merely a light description of how grand the narrative really is.

Gameplay: The gameplay in Bioshock Infinite is quite enjoyable. The gunplay is never too fast to disorient you and I found the guns easy to use and fun to experiment with. The only downside to the weaponry is that you can only carry two guns at one time. I missed Bioshock's weapon wheel and the ability to choose any of my guns at any time. The vigors are quite interesting (especially Murder of Crows and the Bucking Bronco) but I found that I used them rarely, if at all, and mostly just to supplement my lack of ammo for the guns. The most remarkable aspect of combat is your ally Elizabeth who supplies you with ammo and salts and can open up tears which can greatly aid one in combat. The sky lines are also a great way to open up combat as you can easily flank your opponents.

Graphics: The city of Columbia is highly detailed and extravagant. While many could say the beginning is a bit slow, I found it exhilarating as one could explore Columbia and see all the interesting buildings that litter the landscape. While the graphics are not completely realistic, I found them quite amazing.

Audio: The tv I own is not the greatest, so I am not going to properly judge the sound of Bioshock Infinite, but I do have a slight annoyance with it. I found it frustrating that I had to be looking at a person head on to hear anything they say, despite the fact that I could be standing shoulder to shoulder to them. That was a bit frustrating.

All in all, Bioshock Infinite is a grand game. There are countless other things I could have gone more in depth about, but there is simply too much to cover. I will be honest, I beat the game in about nine hours which was perfect since I was pressed for time at that moment, but regardless there is plenty of replay value to be had with this game, an absolute must-buy.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]