Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the options you need., January 20, 2011
This review is from: Masterbuilt 20070411 30-Inch Top Controller Electric Smoker with Window and RF Controller (Lawn & Patio)
I am not an expert but a consumer that does a lot of research before buying something like this. This model has many improvements over the "Non-RF" model:
1) Wheels that work when the unit is tilted, (caveat: the slide on grease drip tray must be removed before you can tilt and roll.)
2) A light inside the unit, (caveat, It's a little hard to see the meat with the smoke and smoke "grim" on the inside of the huge window but still very nice feature.)
3) The meat thermometer. It is a real needed item on this type of smoker. You never have to open the door to check the temperature. *I double checked it against my own digital thermometer and it runs true within a degree or two.
4) A handheld remote control. No AAA batteries included, (2 req.) You can program the time & temp as well as check the meat probe temp & switch the light on & off. You cannot see the current temp of the smoker, i.e.; watch it rise to the temp you set. To do this just look at the display on top of the unit for this info. Speaking of the top digital unit; it automatically alternates between the time left on the smoker and the current temp of the smoker. To see the meat probe temp, just push the temp button once.
The unit is well insulated and comes up to temp well within a reasonable time, (outside air temp = 46 degrees. The smoker came up to temp of 225 degrees within 17 minutes.) The unit appears well built and of solid construction. I did have a small warpage of the bottom back portion of the back metal panel. This impeded the grease tray a little. This could have been due to the shipper, (Fed Ex) but the unit very well packed. Assembly took 15 minutes. Very simple. The chip tray feature will lock in place after you dump a load into the smoker and the alignment mark for new chips is an easy step to miss when reloading, no bigge. It uses no more than one cup of chips at a time and seems to take a while at 225 degrees to burn them. The racks, water pan, grease pan all are easy to remove and somewhat easy to clean. The nice feature of the bottom grease pan is it is tilted to the back grease trap and comes out for easy cleaning. Overall, I like to keep my tools clean and I spent 15 minutes cleaning this unit, not bad.
I smoked two racks of baby back ribs last night and the unit seemed to cook it faster than expected. The internal temp was reached prior to the time I set. Of course it is not an exact science but the ribs were well smoked and delicious. I used hickory with some mesquite chips and the smoke flavor was strong. Mesquite sucks as opinionated by a lot of "experts." I also smoke some pork bellies, (bacon) that I had cured and they will be tried tomorrow after a 24 sit in the fridge. I am now smoking a brisket and we will see how it does. All in all I am very pleased with this unit and all the new features. I am really liking the fact that I can check the internal temp of the meat by using the remote. I can be doing something elsewhere and always click the "meat probe" button on the remote and know when its time to stop the smoking process. pros: all the features that you want from a smoker of this caliber, well built and good smoke. Cons, can't see the current temp of the smoker on the remote, just the "set" temp. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a smoker in this class.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2011 6:26:23 PM PDT
C. Smith says:
Are you using your smoker indoors or out?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:31:52 PM PDT
Ethnic Mike says:
Don't know if the O.P. is going to respond to this, but this smoker must be used outdoors. Wood smoke produces carbon monoxide. It is dangerous to use in enclosed spaces.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 8:50:53 AM PST
I think if you would go with cherry, it will still smoke well but with the oils of the hickory and mesquite you will not have to worry about too much smoke.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 8:18:31 AM PST
My remote alternates between meat temperature, set temperature and current oven temperature.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 6:38:21 PM PST
Redryno says:
Great review. I have had this same smoker for about 1 year and use it all the time, it is easy to use and food tastes great. I love it.

I did want to add to this that my remote will switch between set temp and internal temp after I hit a button, for a short time. This remote only communicates with the smoker when there is input, i assume this is to make the batteries last longer (if i make an adjustment on the top control panel the info on the remote won't change).

The inside light is nice, but will need to be kept clean inside as the plastic cover is not sealed. Clean inside with water only, i use an abrasive dish sponge and wire brush, takes a little elbow grease but looks good.

I too would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a lazy man's (electric) smoker.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 7:45:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012 7:48:51 AM PST
I have MBS 40. Just great. You should never use inside. Once I had to move to the garage during a smoking due to rain and I can still smell the "smoke" in the garage. Not a good idea either. As one poster said this is a great smoker and being electric makes it...like they say..."set it and forget it." Really though a great smoker. I had a charcoal brinkman for years and actually did not use too often due to the time it required to "watch" it all the time. The temp gauge is a life saver. Buy one with confidence and enjoy the end result.

Posted on May 31, 2012 4:32:43 PM PDT
JP says:
I have this smoker and it does show all temp settings. Push temp button and it shows probe first, then inside temp, then temp I set. If the inside temp and temp setting is the same it will not show the word "heating".

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:34:28 PM PDT
frank says:
I bought this smoker around memorial day and it's as good as advertised. There's a learning curve to get the smoking part down but it's as good as advertise. The food is taste just marvelous. I used to love grilling but since i purchased this (40) the grill has taken a backseat.
I rarely write reviews but this unit is as good as advertised.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:21:37 AM PDT
Masterbuilt 40. I smoked 6 baby back ribs for fathers day in the 2-2-1 method. Did they ever turn out great. I build an 18" stand to raise the smoker and that has really worked out well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 8:22:35 AM PDT