3.0 out of 5 stars Killzone HD, November 7, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Killzone Trilogy Collection - 2 Disc (Video Game)
I'm writing this review mostly about the original Killzone in the Killzone trilogy set since Killzone 2 and 3 are pretty much the same as previous PS3 releases. The original game I would have given a 4 or 5 star to, it had some bugs but I found the game quite fun, it was one of my favorite games of all in the PS2 era and I had been eagerly waiting for this HD remake of it.

Pros:
The graphics do look better than the original, not as good as 2 & 3 but better than it was originally (mostly smoother without the jaggies of the original)
The frame rate is greatly improved (the best part of this remake, it still has occasional hiccups, but overall much improved)
Trophy support is nice for a reason to play the campaign over again.

Cons:
There is NO online (why remove a major part of the original game?)
The motion blur when running is WAY overdone and hurts my eyes (this isn't the case with my PS2 version)
The Game is a 3GB install off the disc which requires the disk to play. (I'd prefer that the game just play off the disk)
The bugs from the original are still there, this isn't a big deal to me, but I'm not sure why it wasn't fixed.

If you purchased this for Killzone 2 or 3, they are the same as the originals but with the DLC added in and customizable controls.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 1:24:52 PM PST
FS says:
I'm just going to throw in my logic here on the lack of MP, but I would have to assume it wouldn't be worth it in time to get the maps up to snuff, then set up servers to just have people play a product inferior to KZ2 or KZ3's MP. Why I'd think they wouldn't do it. You already get everything for the PS3 games anyway. I think KZ1 hd is there to get people a chance to play the game so they can get to the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:37:35 AM PST
Batman says:
Seriously? You're giving your rating based on 1 component of this whole package?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:13:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:31:46 AM PST
Tim says:
Batman:
Yes, the you can look for my comments on the other two games on their individual listings. This is a collection and the only thing that is different about this collection from the individual games is that the DLC is included and that the original Killzone has changed. Seeing that the original is the major difference and the reason I personally purchased this collection, I chose to give some information to people who were considering purchasing this collection. I clearly stated that so that people would understand where my bias might come from.

P.S. Having a name like Batman would imply that you think things through, try it some time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:30:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:30:43 AM PST
Tim says:
F. Smith:
I think you're mostly right, but the maps were updated for the offline play with bots, so it wouldn't have taken much more to put this game online. I assume they thought people wouldn't play it and that it wouldn't be worth the time to finish it. Although that may be a logical reason, it doesn't make me less disappointed in it.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:47:32 AM PST
Chris says:
Isn't there a way to turn down the motion blur in the game? It has been a long time since I played it so I honestly don't remember, but I could have sworn there was an option. Either that or I am confusing it with a different game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 8:19:30 AM PST
A bit late in response, but I have to agree with Smith for a few different reasons. As a developer I can say this, setting up new servers for Killzone HD would be a bit of work since the old servers really aren't all that compliant with PSN and users will expect that. Which means paying more for online modes that people would get little use out of would not be in sony's best interests. Honestly they want those players on Killzone 2 and 3. I really enjoy KZ MP, but I really don't care about KZ1 beyond the elements of the story I never got to experience. So rating the game down for not having a feature that the other two titles provide seems like such a minor issue. I considered getting this disc to get back some shelf space, but ultimately fell back on just buying KZ HD off PSN, a cheaper alternative for those who own the other two games already.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (161 customer reviews)

$39.99 $22.26