1,570 of 1,799 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the points card- Don't give Microsoft your credit card!, November 15, 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 LIVE 1600 Points (Video Game)
First off, I'm an otherwise very happy Xbox Live Gold member. Instead of buying a points card from a retailer, I made the mistake of buying the points online from Microsoft through the Xbox. I used my gamer tag account and entered my credit card on the TV and I bought 500 points. I got the email confirmation that I bought the points. I then used the points. So far so good.

Over the next two days, four other Xbox charges totaling $30 mysteriously appeared on my credit card. Someone bought more points and a game subscription using my credit card info. I called Xbox Live support- their answer was "we don't give refunds." I explained that it's not a REFUND if my account is used fradulently. They still said no.

Note that clearly the security leak was with them, as no other fraudulent charges appeared on my credit card...just Xbox charges.

I then asked them to delete my credit card info from my Xbox Live account. They said they could not do this. I could not believe this! Given that someone had access to my credit card and they were unwilling to remove my credit card info, I had no choice but to cancel my credit card.

My advice- buy the points from a trusted source like Amazon. Don't ever give Microsoft direct access to your credit card info. I hope this helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2006 5:29:01 PM PST
surfbored says:
We had the exact same problem last year. With the exact same results, money lost! Now we're going to try this points card and see how that works too. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 9, 2006 10:17:01 AM PST
I smell a lawsuit!

Or at least a complaint to the Better Business Bureau...

Posted on Dec 19, 2006 3:27:01 PM PST
Z. Fraser says:
I hope those of you with this problem reported it to your credit card company. Good lord, they will eat the Xbox reps for breakfast and get your money back for you within 90 days - they're required by law to reimburse you for fraud out of their own pocket if Xbox doesn't cooperate with them. Let *them* handle it. Hurry though! There is usually a time limitation on their liability for the fraud. The longer you wait, the less of your money they're legally bound to recover for you.

Posted on May 23, 2007 12:19:05 PM PDT
I agree, They should have fully refunded you for fraudulent purchases. They should be able to at least do that since htey can track and see who is online. If they bought them while not being logged in, I would nt be surprise if someone who works there stole your card # and used it or sold it to somebody.

Xbox customer service is horrible. Last time I needed to send my 360 in for service (for the second time) and they said their computers were down and that i would have to called back the next day. How gay is that, You make millions making computers and software and cannot keep the crap running? Sue em.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:17:27 AM PST
Jared543 says:
This is some crazy stuff, I but points online all the time and no problems but I can see someone having problems.

Posted on May 20, 2008 9:06:59 AM PDT
Deimos says:
The fact that we need to buy Xbox live points is stupid to begin with. We buy the best system the Xbox 360, and we pay 70 dollars for the games, and now we have to buy xbox live gold cards to play online and then on top of that we need to buy gay points card to access content and new maps.....BS. Expected from microsoft though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2008 3:53:08 PM PDT
Davidovich53 says:
You're so right P. Myers. Microsoft's practice of "nickel-and-dime the customer" really gets irritating. It's not like Microsoft is some small, financially struggling company; it's not in any danger of losing money anytime soon. Heck, XBL could offer all their downloads for free and Microsoft (as a whole) still wouldn't lose money... XBL should seriously consider overhauling their corporate practices; some positive PR is not a bad thing.

Posted on Aug 23, 2008 10:16:14 AM PDT
You WERE asking for a refund. You should not have a credit card, if you don't know how it works. Your bank protects you from loss by fraud, not the retailer where the fraud was committed. You were asking them to take a loss so you didn't have to. That's absurd.

The bank is required by federal law to reimburse you, the retailer doesn't have to do anything. It's greedy and stupid to think they will. I hope you never reported it to the bank and had to eat the loss yourself. If you don't hurt, you won't learn. The FIRST thing you should have done is report the use of the card to your bank, not only as a last resort. This is your failure and the failure of your bank for not educating you on how credit cards work and their protection is applied. Microsoft did what any retailer would have done, what is only reasonable in the situation. The problem here was your wildly unrealistic and misinformed expectations. Don't hold others accountable for your own ignorance.

That goes for anyone who commented about lawsuits or how the credit cards reps would get the money back from Microsoft. That's not how it works. The bank eats the loss. And, no, they cannot track to see who was online. Does an IP address tell you who was at the keyboard? If you are going to do adult things like use credit cards, you should show some adult responsibility to learn about what you are doing and take care of your own problems in the proper manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 1:10:26 PM PDT
porter says:
Michael,

If you're going to chastise and belittle, be sure to cover all the bases. Yes, the fraud is the responsibility of the consumer to reconcile (and not the merchant), but Microsoft should have had no problem whatsoever deleting his card information so that he could start over (in a less destructive manner than having to order new plastics). You can do it right here on Amazon, as frequently as you want - and you can do the same with any other online merchant (and I'd venture to say any other non-online merchant as well).

Your insults help nobody - grow up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008 9:02:02 PM PDT
YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (3,297 customer reviews)
 (2,716)