Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

1,593 of 1,826 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the points card- Don't give Microsoft your credit card!, November 15, 2006
This review is from: Xbox 360 LIVE 1600 Points (Video Game)
First off, I'm an otherwise very happy Xbox Live Gold member. Instead of buying a points card from a retailer, I made the mistake of buying the points online from Microsoft through the Xbox. I used my gamer tag account and entered my credit card on the TV and I bought 500 points. I got the email confirmation that I bought the points. I then used the points. So far so good.

Over the next two days, four other Xbox charges totaling $30 mysteriously appeared on my credit card. Someone bought more points and a game subscription using my credit card info. I called Xbox Live support- their answer was "we don't give refunds." I explained that it's not a REFUND if my account is used fradulently. They still said no.

Note that clearly the security leak was with them, as no other fraudulent charges appeared on my credit card...just Xbox charges.

I then asked them to delete my credit card info from my Xbox Live account. They said they could not do this. I could not believe this! Given that someone had access to my credit card and they were unwilling to remove my credit card info, I had no choice but to cancel my credit card.

My advice- buy the points from a trusted source like Amazon. Don't ever give Microsoft direct access to your credit card info. I hope this helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 111 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 12:46:46 PM PST
C. Moreno says:
Amen. I guess the SHEEP that thought that your comments didn't add to the discussion like being F'ed over by Microsoft. Microsoft needs to completely ditch this point crap and do it the way of Sony. Make the amount in cold, hard currency.

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 8:47:21 PM PDT
Catrina Kent says:
I had the same type of experience after entering my credit card at Microsoft's request (advertising a secured server). Fortunately I'm aware of CC laws regarding fraudulent charges and lost no funds. But after getting absolutely nowhere with the customer service Rep at Xbox live, I did report them to my bank as the suspect thieves. However, I appreciate your warning and wish I would have read it sooner, so I could've avoided the whole situation. It will take a lot of complaints to put a dent in Microsoft...they're practically untouchable. TAKE THE WARNING!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2009 3:50:50 PM PDT
Fox Lonestar says:
You are so right, Deimos. Let's not forget the fact that the points in the card actually cause you to lose money in the first place. If they had just given you the pure amount that the product was, Microsoft wouldn't be making money on having rounded up for tax purposes and monetary gain. $6.99 for a 500 point card? Expensive; wouldn't you say?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2009 4:03:17 PM PDT
David says:
Sony and Nintendo love to nickel and dime you as well. Look no further than the PlayStation Network (PSN) and PSN Home on Sony's side, and Nintendo's joke of an online service for the Wii and DS/DSi.

As for Microsoft offering all the downloads for free, that's a joke. So SEGA, Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami, Bungie, UbiSoft, and every other company that puts out games on XBLA should do their work for free? That's a great business plan! Everything on XBOX Live should be free! Nobody should be allowed to make money. Seo, wouldn't it be great if your employer decided that you must work for him/her/it delivering top notch productivity but you would be paid nothing, since you already made enough money, and that your parents have made so much money in their lives that paying you would be a crime. Sounds great, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2009 4:14:15 PM PDT
David says:
GOODS AND SERVICES COST MONEY. If you want to play online for free, well, that's impossible. You'd still have to pay your ISP. But besides that, why not sell your 360 and buy a PlayStation 3? PSN is free. Ah, well, you still have to pay for new content like games and maps and other things that developers make for their games. Oh, you pay $70 for games? You poor baby. Back in height of the Super NES I was paying $80 for games. Well, some were $70 or $75. Now let's take Street Fighter II for the Super NES. That was $74.99 in September of 1992. What cost $74.99 in 1992 would cost $113.70 in 2008. What cost $70.00 in 2008 would cost $46.17 in 1992. You poor baby.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2009 4:22:46 PM PDT
David says:
Strange. Through the XBOX 360 dashboard, one can set their account to not auto-renew. Plus why would the last four digits of you credit card be important? That doesn't prove anything. Anybody could get the last four digits. I call BS on this.

Posted on May 8, 2009 11:10:43 AM PDT
Thats some Horse$%^#. Bro im sorry.

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 10:06:18 AM PDT
A.S.C. says:
You know, my card number was stolen and I know it was from xbox live. Days before it happened I got a weird message on live from a guy talking about fetishes. I come to find that somebody took my number(probably that same guy) and charged 40 bucks to match dot com and 200 something to speed date dot com. My card is cancelled, got my money back. I won't be putting anymore cards on live.

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 7:24:08 AM PDT
On the hill says:
I had the same problem! I purchased $25.00 worth of points and the NEXT DAY! My credit card people were asking about some suspicious charges ( about $ 30 worth) One day????????? So my credit card company turned off the card and didn't charge me for the charges. Of course I had to wait for another credit card number. I am happy they were looking out for me! By the way the card was an Amazon chase card. LOVE EM! Needless to say I told my son next time we are just purchasing points from Amazon! No more credit card info for them!

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 4:26:21 PM PDT