4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain, just make sure you do a VERY important step before use!, March 7, 2012
This review is from: SHANY Professional 13-Piece Cosmetic Brush Set with Pouch, Set of 12 Brushes and 1 Pouch, Red (Health and Beauty)
This is one of those classic cases of, "You can't judge a book by its cover." I have good things, as well as bad things to say about this purchase, but overall, I am pleased and happy with what I purchased at the price of which I paid.

PROS: Obviously I am going to start out with the good things about this product!
- Sleek appearance. These brushes have a professional look with the sleek handles.
- Wide variety of eye brushes. This set is primarily a brush set focused on the eyes. You are given three brushes designed for your overall face.
- SOFT BRISTLES. This one was HUGE for me. I recently spent much more on a set of "professional" brushes and was very disappointed at how stiff the bristles were. I actually ended up RETURNING them, and I rarely return make up products.
- Easy to store. With the carrying pouch allowing you to roll up the brushes, it makes it super easy to keep them organized.
- Shipped with extra protection. When I opened this product, I found that the pouch was tightly rolled up, tied, and placed in a cellophane wrapper. When I unrolled the pouch, I found that each brush was wrapped in cellophane separately, and the face brushes actually come with hard plastic protectors to keep on at all times. I really thought this was great, since the larger brushes can so easily become mis-shaped.

CONS: Cause every review has to have em right?
- SMELL. The smell when you take this out of it's box will literally almost knock you over. It is terrible! This is where my comment, "You can't judge a book by its cover," or by its smell in this case. Seriously, prepare yourself!
- The pouch itself. The pouch was a huge let down in my opinion. However, I did not buy this product for the case. So if you are buying this because you really want a carrying case, don't buy this product. The seems were sewn together VERY sloppy, and some of the sections that divide the brushes appeared to not have been sewn shut at all! Very disappointing in this aspect.
- There is an extremely weird powder on these brushes when you open them. If you read the product description very closely, it says to be SURE to wash these brushes before your first use. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't read anything else in this review, which you really should because I KNOW my make up products, make SURE you read this. When I took the brushes out of the cellophane wrappers and ran my fingers through the bristles, this weird, gross smelling powder went flying into the air. Now, I am giving this company the benefit of the doubt by assuming this powder was something that settled in these bristles upon shipment.

OVERALL, I really do like this product and for the price, I am very happy I bought it. BUT you NEED to make sure you wash these before you use them. Trust me, you do NOT want that smelly, gross stuff on your face. DO NOT WASH THESE BRUSHES WITH YOUR SHAMPOO OR DISH SOAP! These products are WAY too harsh, and they will strip your bristles. However, I am in no way saying you need to go spend $15.00 on "special brush soap." I use and have always used baby shampoo on my brushes, even my expensive ones. It works great and easily washes out. Also, make sure you re-shape your brushes once you have them washed and that you let them COMPLETELY dry before you try and use them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2013 11:20:22 PM PDT
Tuesday says:
Thank you for your thorough review, however I wanted to comment about your problem with dish soap. I've heard washing with a combination of sensitive dish soap (like Dawn) and an olive or argan oil were great for washing and disinfecting your brushes. I haven't tried this method myself yet, but it seems to be logical.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 10:33:37 AM PDT
K. Raynolds says:
Just want to add that baby shampoo is *not* a gentle shampoo--it has a medication in it to prevent cradle cap. I would use regular shampoo on them if I were worried about harshness ;)

That being said, thanks for a helpful review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 2:18:03 PM PDT
I would use mild soap as my cosmo teacher has trained us to wash our brushes with. People have said in other comments about the brushes coming out smelling is because they have probably been in storage for so long in a wharehouse that is probably why it smells. And its reccommend that you wash them after you purchase the brushes. Heard many comments about this as well from other professionals.

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 9:55:52 AM PDT
Thank you for this review. Very help

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2014 4:46:53 AM PDT
carebear2802 says:
Baby shampoo unless stated does NOT have medication for cradle cap!

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 8:01:17 AM PDT
Thank you for being so honest, you convince me to get them. For the price its decent and it seems it does the job. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 8:00:50 PM PDT
Thanks a lot this was extremely helpful. I appreciate the baby shampoo tip.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 11:42:41 AM PDT
jelisa says:
how do I reshape my brushes ?

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 9:04:26 AM PDT
Wyte says:
great review
a nother buyer says it sheds and is fallin apart and she just got them. whats ur opinion on that
‹ Previous 1 Next ›