Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween

4.0 out of 5 stars Pac-Man: The Next Generation. Featuring unnecessary internet access, social media integration, and app store links, September 24, 2012
This review is from: EVAC (App)
Namco has countless times tried to re-invent Pac-Man and put it back into mainstream gaming, failing horribly.
Hexage Ltd has succeeded where (many) others couldn't. Don't let the games clever description fool you, this is simply an HD remake of Pac-Man, with more features and a somewhat decent escape story.

The object of EVAC HD is to eat all the dots (colors) you can, while navigating through the maze and avoiding ghosts (other blocks) that try to capture (eat) you. If this sounds like a game you played ages ago, that's because it is; but re-skinned and re-imagined for this generation.

I absolutely love all the changes they made here. Adding little spaces for you to hide and avoid ghosts (I am not calling them "reds" like the game does) was pure genius, and the power ups add even more strategy to the classic dot gobbling.

Side Note:
There is a lot of false information floating around about EVAC HD's control scheme.
It greatly upsets me when people just randomly spew off made up facts about the product they review based on somebody else's summary. Trust me on this, there is nothing wrong with the controls and you CAN indeed move the joystick to suit your orientation.

The Good:

- Tight controls. Contrary to some other reviewers, I love the way controls are handled here. I feel they are very good and had no issues whatsoever on two phones and two tablets (INCLUDING the Kindle Fire).

- Classic Pac-Man gameplay brings back warm feelings of nostalgia.

- Ingenious power ups allow you to do everything from stunning to destroying your captors.

- Minor puzzle elements (moving blocks to open doors, blocking off ghosts, etc) add a bit of strategy to the action.

- Awesome graphics. I am a sucker for this type of HD-Retro look.

- Excellent soundtrack and effects. My only complaint is that no classic Pac-Man tunes made it into the game, but I am guessing the developers simply didn't want to get sued.

The Bad:

- Social media integration. Really, can we stop it with this crap please? I don't want my device posting that I beat a level and advertise for any game.

- Links from within the game allow you to access the Google Play and Amazon store (and purchase things from there).

- NETWORK permissions in a SINGLE PLAYER GAME.
Open network sockets gives this app free range internet access.
Access information about networks allows it to do just that (for both your phone and wireless networks).
These things are just not needed in a single player game and are here just for the social media and link aspects of the app.
While there is no traffic going to and from the game while it is just being played, hitting some of the other links makes the network monitor light up like a Christmas tree (obviously).

- The game is incredibly short. Adding another campaign would go a long way to justifying the higher price point.

- Higher price point. The game retails at $1.99 but is NOT YET worth that price in its current state.

The Ugly:

Thankfully I found nothing too terrible in EVAC HD.

The Game: 5/5
Permissions: 2/5 (single player games DO NOT NEED network permissions).
Score: 3.5/5, bumping it up to 4/5 because Amazon does not allow .5 ratings, and because I thoroughly enjoyed this game.

I am a sucker for HD remakes of classic games, even more so if they are actually good (as is the case here). While I simply can't recommend the game at its $1.99 pricing point, I suggest you grab it as today's free download.
If you enjoy classic games, give EVAC HD a try, and if they ever add another campaign (more levels), or drop the price to $.99, or remove the unnecessary network permissions - I would even recommend purchasing it.

Good job to the developers for actually improving on a classic. You guys (and gals) did great work here, but some of the things I mentioned are preventing me from giving it a perfect rating. Fix them, and I will bump it up.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2012 10:45:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 10:49:29 AM PDT
Mark Jacobs says:
Sam thank you very much for your diligent reviews. Once again you proved that you may be one of the few reviewers that actually does a thorough job of *gasp* reviewing the product! I guess that's what happens when you take the time and explore everything instead of trying to be the first review on Amazon.

No issues with the controls for me either and I like the game.

Is there any chance that you can update your review to mention how one changes the controller layout?
Also please mention that although this game is available for free on the GPS, it requires iap to continue. So it's really not free at all. This Amazon version is.

Thanks again.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:03:50 PM PDT
D.Sky says:
Network permissions are needed to update the game automatically, as well as that awful social media stuff.
Not a fan of people are trying to get the developers to force us lazy folks to manually update our games.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:18:06 PM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
The virtual joystick can be moved to any position on the screen via calibrating. At the start of a game or during a game, press and hold the joystick for about 3-6 seconds until the word "calibrating" appears on the screen. Then slide the joystick(circle controller) to any position on the screen that is comfortable for you. Your finger does not need to be in the center of the D-pad to control movement. It actually works more fluidly when you finger is outside the controller circle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:13:55 PM PDT
Mark Jacobs says:
Yes Ellen. I was just asking Sam to put that into his review since a lot of people will see it.

I can't believe people are bashing this control scheme. It's just perfect!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 6:57:59 PM PDT
darter says:
No... Network permissions are not required for automatic updates. That is done via Google Play not through the game. I'm not 100% certain about how Amazon does automatic updates, but rest assured, the app itself should not be able to update itself. The only apps I've seen capable of updating itself are security-based apps updating only their lists of what to target or what to look for. Seems like this app's reasoning for full network permissions is only for harassing folks to make social media posts about their latest... accomplishments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:28:25 AM PDT
Actually the store (Amazon or Google Play) takes care of updates. So network permissions really are not necessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:34:21 AM PDT
Thanks Mark,

That is exactly how I feel. I would rather be the last reviewer to post something, but have it be good - than be the first and miss a lot of key information.

I would have to check out the Google Play version first before I can make that comment.

As for the control scheme, I don't see why I would even have to mention that. I mean it tells you in the instructions (before you start the game) exactly how to do this. You have to tap your screen to move on to the actual level.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›