Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tender Jr. Is Very Similar To The Tender Plus , Not Temperature Compensated, Less Amps!, September 21, 2009
This review is from: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger (Automotive)
In the analysis of buying a Tender Jr. vs. a Tender Plus, the main issues are time to full charge, battery size, & parasitic draw. The Tender Plus (1.25) will get the job done twice as fast as the Tender Jr. (0.75). Both now are similar architecturally, save it be the charging power & lack of temperature compensation on the Jr. They both are 4 stage, both have the same sophisticated computer chip technology running the charging process, etc... I spoke to The Deltran(The Manufacturer) customer service department on 3 different occasions, making sure I had the facts right. The first 2 times I was misinformed about the temperature compensation issue. I am editing this review to be accurate as of today's date of 12/01/10. Because The Plus will bring a battery to full charge twice as quickly as The Jr. will, The Plus has a much better chance at overcoming a parasitic draw on your batteries power. Modern cars have sophisticated electronics that require constant power 24/7. Check all your battery connections & your alternator belt!!! If the connections are not clean & tight, clean it with original coca-cola and a rag / brush, make sure they fit snugly. If your alternator belt is too loose it will not charge your battery properly. If you only want to buy one Tender, don't cheap out, buy The Plus if you have the money to do so. If you want to buy 2 or 3 Tenders to make sure all your batteries are fully charged, the Jr. will probably do just fine. I personally alternate The Jr. between 3 different cars, if I had it to do over again, I would buy The Plus instead as I am not a patient person. Both models will turn off in 72 hours automatically if a full charge is not reached, & neither will start charging without at least 3 volts stored in the battery before initiating a charge. If you left your lights on for 4 days like I did, get a jump, & drive your car around for 30 minutes before hooking up any Tender to charge your dead battery. Either of these 2 Battery Tenders are the best in the world, don't bother doing anymore research, I have done it all for you. Buy one or buy both!!! I bought The Plus model a few months ago also... These babies save you $$$, time & frustration!!! Get the 25 foot extension if you want to charge a car that sits in the driveway, it's only $12. You might also want to buy the Cigarette Lighter Apapter to charge cars that have the battery in the trunk, like the BMW E39 models. [...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2010 12:09:30 PM PST
C. Bennett says:
The Junior is *NOT* temperature compensated. A Deltran representative confirmed this via email today (Jan 7, 2010): "The Battery Tender Junior is not temperature compensated and this has always been the case."

The Junior is a terrific product (I have 3 of them), but if temperature compensation or higher output current is important in your use, then go with the 'Plus.'

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 1:22:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2010 1:24:31 PM PST
Shawn Murphy says:
Yes, C. Bennett is correct! I was previously misinformed by a well meaning Deltran employee! I called again today & was misinformed again today by the lady who answers the phones. An engineer I spoke to at Deltran confirmed this later today, also over the phone. Hopefully the receptionist(s) will stop misinforming customers. I have a Plus now also & I use the Plus & the Junior almost every day. These little chargers save you $ & frustration over the long run!!! Buy what you can afford.

I also have a huge Die Hard upright charger / starter that has a 200A Starter function & a 60A boost, 20A quick charge & a 2A trickle (which will never be used) charge. Not to mention a good quality jumper cable in each trunk, just in case.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:39:18 AM PST
awesome review! thanks so much. you just cut my research time down to zero

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 10:46:24 AM PST
R. Edmonds says:
The use of coca cola to clean the terminals is back yard mechanic redneck way of doing things. The biggest enemy to a battery is moisture. just removing the terminals off the battery and clean with a terminal cleaning brush is ALL you need to do.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 10:47:50 AM PST
R. Edmonds says:

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:56:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2012 6:50:20 PM PST
Jesse Ritz says:
We have automatic float chargers for a bucket truck, farm tractor, backhoe, MGA and TR-7. We've decided to put one on our 2003 pickup truck because after sitting two weeks the 2 year old battery measured less than 12 volts. I charged it with an adjustable rate charger but believe 'running it down' like that may shorten its life. IMO the purpose of a 'battery tender' is to maintain a lead acid battery at full charge to prevent sulfation; so a 'battery tender' with a lower charge rate hardly matters for a device used to maintain a battery at full charge. If you have no other charger a 1200ma 'battery tender' might be useful when you buy a new battery (see below).

Some reviewers have said that a float charger that switches between float and charge is "turning on and off" - most do not. Our 25 year old 'float charger' does that because the parasitic load (mostly the clock) runs the battery down until the float rate is not enough and it switches to the 1000ma charge rate. Three 20 year old battery maintainers, with no parasitic load just the battery self discharge, also switch to charge mode but only a couple of times a month (that I've noticed). When they first did that I connected a DC milliammeter to see if they were turning on and off... they weren't. Batteries in all our vehicles, some used only a few times a year, all last a little beyond the warranty period - from 5 years (6V group 1) to 8 years. I'll be putting this charger, or a Deltran waterproof charger on our bucket truck, which has an expensive battery for the 12,000 lb winch, in the hope that it extends its life a little longer then our older battery maintainers.

One final caveat - we never permit battery sellers to 'fast charge' a new battery; this creates an apparent full charge which is in reality only an 'interface' or 'surface' charge. Installing a new battery that was manufacturered a few months ago without charging it first creates the same condition because the regulator senses the discharged condition of the battery and ramps up the alternator; our vehicles with ammeters make this apparent. (I suspect our backhoe had cooked away the elecdtrolyte before we bought it and began using a float charger... it took over a pint of water to cover the plates.) When purchasing a new battery we charge it at a moderate rate overnight before installing it.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:48:59 PM PST
richard 11 says:
I appreciate this,some useful info- & with Jesse's comment below ALMOST answers my determining question,which is this:Will this charge a motorcycle battery initially upon filling it with acid SLOWLY ENOUGH? I wouldn't mind a charger that can do faster AND trickle,but if i must choose(without spending much more) I'd have to get the"Jr" (-or the Black & Decker,or a Schumacher.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 9:27:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2012 11:55:16 AM PST
John says:
After cleaning add a good coating of Silicone Dielectric Compound Permatex 22058 this will keep the corrosion under control for years.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 11:30:53 PM PDT
rwizard says:
Please do NOT clean the terminals with Coke. As someone who has spent a lifetime, professionally and personally, around things electrical and electronic, this has to be one of worst suggestions I have ever read. A small wire brush is all it takes. No coke, please. Sticky, corrosive, hygroscopic, ineffective, pointless, unnecessary, and just plain wrong.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:22:54 AM PDT
I have always used Arm & Hammer baking soda to clean the removed terminal ends & wire brush on the batteries post itself being either a top post or side post termination. It is a very clean way & not sticky like a soda drink,we add the baking soda to our bath water also,it has many uses as shown on the box. Then after cleaning add a thin coating of silicone dielectric compound as stated in another comment & it will stay clean,plus both items are very cheap to avoid dirty terminals. We both are retired now & have used the battery tender junior on my three cars for 5 years now since we don't drive the cars daily or at least weekly like we did when working & the cars are always ready to go when we are just like I installed a new battery. Also after driving to the store or shopping malls we open the hood & plug the cords together & it doesn't take very long before the indicator turns solid green showing full charge! That is if the charging system is working correctly on all your vehicles..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›