Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars DS and Wii versions differ, September 18, 2010
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If your kids are asking for both the Nintendo Wii and the Nintendo DS version of Toy Story 3, rest assured that though the themes are the same, the games are different enough to feel that they are completely different games.

I feel the Wii version is more difficult than the DS version, as does my nine year-old son. My six year-old daughter was able to complete the DS Story Mode twice in a day, whereas my nine year-old decided after two full days of play that the Story Mode in the Wii game was too difficult. He got bored and gave up. I'm sure if he gave it another two days, he'd have finished the game, but he hasn't revisited it since. He was on level 5 of 8. He did prefer the Toy Box Mode and spent much of his time there.

Two player mode is only available in Story Mode.

STORY MODE

In this mode, the players are sometimes able to play with two players. I say sometimes, because in the first scene, it was not possible. When two players play together, the screen is split. This was, at first, a turn off for me, but then I saw the advantage of it when I played with my daughter, who did not want to be where I was.

The players are usually able to get hints and even learn exactly what to do, but that help is not always available or clear. It took me quite awhile to figure out I needed to shoot the crystals to explode the floating masses of land to use as leap pads to the opposite cliff. (My son was not there to help me.)

Story Mode consists mostly of completing scenes from the movie or somewhat related to the movie, like trying to get out of Andy's room or navigating through a video game with Buzz Lightyear.

TOY BOX MODE

In Toy Box Mode, a single player only game, players go around town completing missions -- little tasks like finding cloth or digging for gold. From there, the players earn gold and customize their experience. This would be so fun as a two player game. It's too bad that option is not available.

SUMMARY

This game would be more exciting if two players can play together then entire game. It's more difficult than the DS version. However, it looks like it can be completed quickly by anyone determined enough to try. Unfortunately, it was not thrilling enough to hold the attention of my nine year-old for more than two days, and he can stay with a good game indefinitely.

I personally like the Wii version better than the DS version because it is more challenging, but there are some scenes that are frustrating enough for me that I'd prefer my son complete them for me before I continue playing. (For instance, I'm no good at blasting the evil characters in the level 3 part of the Story Mode.)

My son's rating for the Wii version? He says the Toy Box Mode is awesome but the Story Mode is okay. That averages out to four stars. He says if he had to choose between the DS version and the Wii version, he'd choose the Wii version.

My daughter says she prefers the DS version because it's easier.

As an aside, be aware that both the Wiimote and nunchucks are necessary to play.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]