Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Product - Where's the Customer Support?, August 31, 2012
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Basically, I'm a fan of Adobe products: they have opened up a new universe of possibilities for creative types. After looking at several simpler products, I bought Dreamweaver because I thought it would allow me to design my website exactly the way I wanted it and to update it whenever I liked.

How to learn to use it? No manual came with DW so I ordered Janine Warner's "Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 for Dummies" right along with the program. The book was helpful but, without knowing any CSS, there were some things I still could not do on my own website. So I bought a couple of books on CSS and worked through them. Now that I understood the whole process I did more work on my website and had a couple of specific questions.

This led me to the "90 days of free technical support" that comes with DW. First, it is very difficult to get through. One day I called and was told that the wait would be 31 minutes. After more than an hour, I hung up. The next time I actually did reach a young woman. She seemed intelligent and willing to help but inexperienced. It took over forty-five minutes, with long pauses on "Hold" to get my first question answered and I was out of time at that point. I called again the next day and got a young man and had much the same experience. Eventually, during one of the long waits, I figured out the answer myself. From what I could gather, these tech support reps knew little or no CSS and had learned DW on their own at Lynda.com. These are smart, hard-working young people but the shallowness of their training puts them in a terrible bind when someone like me calls with a non-standard question. In this transaction, both sides are likely to lose.

The tech support reps were both embarrassed that they were having so much trouble answering my questions. Really it's Adobe that should be embarrassed. C'mon guys, charge a few more bucks for the product and give us some help! I'm giving the product four stars because it crashes sometimes and the tech support zero, averaging out to two stars.

Update:

In the category of giving credit where it's due, I recently got an e-mail from someone on the Dreamweaver Engineering team inviting me to give them feedback on my experiences with the product. Evidently, Adobe is paying attention to the comments - good for them!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2013 5:37:18 PM PST
Meccan says:
Support for CSS and other languages requires an experienced web developer, not a help desk technician. If you were having problems with the functionality of Dreamweaver as a program, I'm sure your issues would have been resolved immediately by one of those technicians.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 10:11:28 PM PDT
fbonzo says:
And your point is? That the purchaser should have insisted that "an experienced web developer" be provided immediately or...? Don't be absurd.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 10:33:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 12, 2013 12:11:27 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 10:58:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2013 11:00:43 AM PDT
Hello there! Firstly let me apologize as I know this is an older review. As an avid Dreamweaver user since the Macromedia days all the way back to 1997, I can tell you I struggled a bit off the start, now I can write code in my sleep lol. Dreamweaver as you know is a code/view both or one or the other+ live view, but it does give you code hints along the way. I just wanted to encourage new developers to take their time and learn the fundamentals, its all online. Schooling, sites dedicated to any language from CSS, to AJAX. Having a team of developers in place to assist people new to code, simply would not be in the Adobe budget, and if it was Dreamweaver would most likely have a 5 to 6 figure price tag with ongoing monthly dues. Support is there simply to help in your purchasing, installing, initializing, registering, and feature explanation etc. and for this they do a great job! Happy coding everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2014 11:00:12 PM PST
I think Meccan is saying the writer is on her own because her question is too technical for Adobe's help desk people. I disagree with that assertion; in the beginning most software customer service folk had some technical background and sounded like they knew what they were talking about most of the time. Now many of them just read from a manual or relay questions to one supervisor who oversees a dozen people. They often don't appear to know more than the rest of us, which saves the manufacturer money that would be spent on those with greater skill, education, and training.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›