Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as sturdy as I thought, September 21, 2012
This review is from: Leica 18176 V-LUX 40 14.1MP Compact Camera with 3.0-Inch TFT LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Leica 18176 V-LUX 40 14.1MP Compact System Camera with 3.0-Inch TFT LCD, Body Only (Black)

Do not get me wrong by the star provided, this is a great camera, excellent lens, focus, pictures, resolution, portability. Unfortunately Leica did not fulfill my expectations to stand behind their product and provide good service and warranty.

I purchased this back in June (3 months ago).. have taken it everywhere, taken excellent pictures, unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I had a little incident with it at the office. The camera dropped from about a ft and half height onto carpeted floor, and the lens metal casing was bent, to an extent that the shutter would not close completely, this did not limit the lens from extending or withdrawing and its funcionalities. Finally got the shutter to shut completely but the dent was still there. Having paid close to 700 for this device, i figure the minor dent could be fixed either under warranty or not. So I decided to send it in to the repair ni NJ. There they told me that it could not be fixed and that the warranty did not cover it and it was voided due to impact. Instead they offered to sell me another, new (probably refurbished) camera at a discount (about 20% discount). I thought this was quite the rip off.. so told them no. Now, I am left with an expensive camera 3 months old and no warranty.

Being a Leica, German manufactured and engineered (actually Japanese) I thought this camera would handle such minor fall better. I recently gave my mom my old Power Shot S90 that I had for over 2 years, and that was really a sturdy built device.. Next time I am sticking to the Japanese and/or making my purchases with American Express and their purchase protection.. I bought this with the Amazon Card, but Amazon played clueless as well, directing me to the seller (A&B Imports Ltd) and to the manufacturer. In any case.. save your money on this.. great pictures, but a wimpy machine for the money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2012 6:03:22 AM PDT
Ouch!!! Hope you find some equitable solution to this frustrating dilemma

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:25:14 PM PDT
ML says:
I don't know any camera company who is good on returns, take the Canon S100, a $400 compact, it's a mess and has been recalled after 1.5 years due to lens error from customers complaining. Many sent the camera to get fix to Canon and still have same problem.

What are you going to do-- if you drop anything today it breaks. Something to think about when shelling out big bucks for cameras.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 11:16:40 AM PDT
Seriously? You dropped a 7.4 ounce camera from only 1 1/2 feet onto a soft carpeted floor and it bent the metal casing? Seems very unlikely... I feel like the situation may be exaggerated a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 2:29:27 PM PDT
Ypcc says:
not at all... you should try it, rather soft metal.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:51:39 AM PST
Robyn Swaim says:
I don't know of any camera manufacturer who would cover accidents (dropping, water, etc). They would cover normal manufacturing defects and that is all. If you want coverage for accidents you need to purchase an extended warranty that specifically states it covers being dropped.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:05:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 6:05:37 AM PST
I don't think your star rating is fair. You should give it the quality rating it deserves and note the customer service issue in your review title. YOU dropped YOUR camera. I don't know any manufacturer that would warranty product damage caused by the consumer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2013 9:09:43 AM PDT
Ellie says:
I agree with you Michelle - one DOESN'T DROP a camera - period. They are not footballs. They are highly complex, very feature laden, but only some professional level or outdoor sports designated can withstand moisture, cold, or impacts.

Frankly, I despise people who drop cameras. I can't, in a long life, ever recall dropping any of my cameras. One major thing one keeps her mind on is holding the camera firmly - better yet - always attach the strap and always have it on your wrist or on your neck if it is a larger camera.

Modern cameras are amazing, marvelous, high tech devices. If you are a photographer, this is your baby, and you DON'T drop it. And if a photographer can't afford to replace a camera he ruined, he shouldn't have bought it.

I have had a number of Panasonic and Leica p/s cameras for the last seven years or so. None of them were dropped and all of them still work perfectly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›