Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not something I'll often return to, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Silfra (Audio CD)
I'm quite fond of prepared piano and certain minimalist works, and I think Hahn is a formidable violinist. When the news about this CD reached my ears, I was excited; I like it when classical musicians record something that hasn't been recorded for a hundred times. After listening to the album, however, I have to say that I'm not that impressed.

The music is pleasant enough, with interesting acoustics, but really, what do you expect when a prepared piano is involved? I laud the musicians for doing improvisations, but I would rather listen to something carefully written out if this is all they can do with improvisations. Hauschka is quite ok, but Hahn... She's a great violinist. In the past, I had the pleasure to hear some truly great improvisations, and I have to say this is not. I feel that the music lacks a real sense of composition that gives a piece structure, that gets me return to a piece over and over again. To me the music itself is not very memorable in the first place, which is fine if it's interesting enough for repeated listening. The thing is, I don't find it interesting enough.

As for the novelty element... Barring the fact that it's done by classical musicians, there's not much new here. You can find similar sounds in many post-rock or ambient albums. If there's something that could have set Hahn and Hauschka apart from those musicians, it's that they could have given the music the level of structure that usually only musicians with classical training can achieve. But oh well... Dare I say, those musicians with much less formal training have done better.

Maybe my expectation was too high. I was hoping to hear the "Tabula Rasa" (a minimalist work written by Arvo Part in the 1980s for Gidon Kremer) of our age - not in terms of style, but in terms of inspirations and impact. Now I guess I'll just have to stick to that for some time longer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2012 8:10:16 PM PDT
draudio2u says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 7:04:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 7:05:49 PM PDT
Milan Simich says:
No Cage won't educate anybody. Cage was not a musician. He did what he did precisely cause he could not write music so he created concepts. Nothing wrong with it, but it ain't 'music', interesting as his concepts were and influential as they rightly were.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2014 9:32:34 AM PST
Firestarter says:
@congwen,

Thank you for your review. I think yours was the most helpful one of them all (at least to me). Others were just pretending to be written by insiders and connoisseurs who have nothing to say except for repeating the editorial review and/or using snippets of text from the recording's liner notes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2014 3:06:31 PM PDT
David Keymer says:
Check out the new album by pianist David Greilsammer, Scarlatti and Cage Sonatas. I do not like everything that John Cage wrote or performed but he did have a musical vision, or if you prefer, a vision of *sound*. On Greilsammer's album, it works especially in contrast to the beautiful Scarlatti pieces.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2014 9:28:52 AM PDT
congwen says:
Hi David,

Thank you for the recommendation. I think over the years I have come to acknowledge, if not appreciate, Cage's contribution to music, or at least our ways of viewing and defining music. I'll definitely try the album as soon as I get the chance.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›