Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Don't Beat this Game, June 23, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokemon Conquest (Video Game)
The other reviews have already covered the general idea behind this game, so I won't recap them here again. Suffice it to say that I enjoy the Tactics style of strategy RPGs, and I enjoy Pokemon, so this game was the best of both worlds for me, right up until I beat the main story.

I feel compelled to give others the warning I did not get. Once you beat the main story line, the after-game is a great many "Episodes" that can be pretty short to almost as long as the original game itself. Taken together, they make up more playtime than the main game does. Sounds great, doesn't it? There is one problem, each episode is an entirely self contained side-game. You do not get to use the team you spent the entire main game building up. You use whatever character the game says you use for that episode, and all of their link percentages are reset to whatever level the episode says it should be at. There is no New Game +, and there is no way to get back to the main "all of the castles" map once you finish the main story. It effectively takes all of the work you put into it and throws it away.

Someone would be quick to point out though that when you recruit someone in an episode, they automatically get whatever pokemon (and its evolutionary state) that they had in the main game. On the surface, this sounds like "Oh, well at least all the effort I put into the main game wasn't entirely wasted, I do at least get the pokemon back". I would like to warn you that it is more of a handicap than a help. If you are like me, you recruited every warrior you could find at the start of the game, but stopped after you got a whole team full of warlords with perfect link pokemon. This means you had/have a bunch of generic warriors with whatever weak pokemon you had at the start of the game sitting in castles filling space to make you gold by the end of the game. Why is this a problem? Many of the episodes let you fight warriors with powerful pokemon you didn't have access to in the main game. When you recruit them, the game will automatically overwrite whatever powerful pokemon they have now with whatever weak one they had in the main game. Having trouble progressing, and you see someone with a munchlax, or a deino, or a bedlam with strong attacks and lots of hitpoints that you want to recruit? Not so fast, you recruited him already in the main game, and he had a whooper there. Congratulations, your new recruit now has a whooper too instead of the good pokemon you wanted, and there is absolutely no way to prevent it from overwriting him. You also cannot access your main game anymore to try and stock them up with more useable pokemon to use in the episodes. You are forever locked with whatever junk you left them rotting in the castle with.

The game really is fun. And I am sure there will be people that love the after-game episodes, but I am not one of them. I feel like I put time and effort into building my team and their link percentages only to have it basically erased without my consent. The carrot for those episodes is to recruit new warlords and get legendaries for the ones you had, like Mewtwo and Groudon. The only problem is that once you get those legendaries, the episode ends, and you don't get to use them again. What is the point of having all of these legendaries and warlord transformations when the chances are you will never actually get to use any of them?

Its not a reward unless I get to USE THEM. As is, all it does is add an entry in what amounts to your pokedex. Big whooping deal.

Bottom line, the game is great. The mechanics are great. Just do not finish that last battle, or you will simply be throwing all of your effort in the trash. Or if you do finish it, at least be warned up front to go through and give every last junk warrior in all of your castles really excellent pokemon, because that will make or break your after-game episodes and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it after you get there but erase your game and start over from scratch.

So, 5 stars for the main story, 1 star for everything after that, average out to 3 stars for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2012 6:26:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 11:36:27 PM PDT
Rorello says:
Simply put: The episodes are for replay value with multiplayer being the end-goal.
Due to the fact that the AI doesn't become any more intelligent (they're already dull enough for most seasoned strategy gamers), they need to handicap whatever Pokemon link you have access to. This isn't a hindrance, as it would only make the game far easier if you had your 88%-link Raichu on the field - it's a proper handicap to make the game continuously challenging.

And you actually *DO* get to use them: The Gallery is used for multiplayer.
Whatever you had recorded into your Gallery, is accessible when you go against someone in multiplayer. It's a Pokemon game in the end: focusing everything into multiplayer. That "pokedex" is useful.
And honestly? It only encourages you to take your time with the game and build up your teams. I may have to start with a 10%-link Raichu, but it's still a Raichu - easily a threat for any Water Types even on the 40% range. It's paying me off for my hard work to evolve the pokemon during my playthroughs without making me overpowered.

In one argument: It's a strategy game. Take your time. Make your decisions. And realize it will have some consequence in the end. Those lower-ended generals will be your main forces in the next playthrough, so don't ignore them. And those higher-ended generals will be your prizes in your attempts to obtain them during battle.
In the other argument: It's a pokemon game. Realize that in the end you're building your forces to beat another player's forces - not really to max out as a strategy game. And if the link percentages are reset, it doesn't matter: You can set a link handicap in the vs., effectively equalizing whatever advantages and disadvantages one had in creating their teams.

EDIT: Also, after playing through a session of mutliplayer today... I found out that you *DO NOT* lose any of your Link % in the Gallery. It may change when playing through the bonus stories, but it *DOES NOT* change for the Gallery. In fact, I think it *ADDS* to your Link %. As in: any Link %s you gain through the side stories may be added to your highest Link % already placed on your Warrior.

Also, and this is just an assumption, but there may be a chance that you CAN play through the main story again. In a New Game+ fashion, that is. ... just an assumption, nothing yet founded since I haven't quite looked for it (busy as I am with my post-game fourth side story). But simply saying that so you don't count it out completely... like how you counted out Link %s ever being kept. Perhaps after completing all the Side-Stories or simply hitting the "New Game" button will accomplish this? Don't quite know yet. Will edit and update when/if I figure it out.

***EDIT EDIT***: Yep, if you want to play the main story again as your main character: You must complete all the extra story missions.
Troublesome, but kind of makes all your negative points moot.
Still, the extra story missions aren't too troublesome. With all the benefits you gain from each mission (extra pokemon, extra generals, extra chances to improve teams, and legendaries), it's well worth it.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 9:10:54 PM PDT
R. J. Savage says:
I empathise with you, as I am struggling through the side episodes myself. I can understand that completing them all serves a purpose, but it is awfully tedious, and being without MY team is depressing. I always get sentimental about my Pokemon, and Conquest is no different, it's just that this attitude doesn't serve me well in the constantly reset world of side episodes. I also find myself making mistakes more, since I just want to be DONE with all of the episodes, and I don't put the time into preparing for battles that I did in the main storyline.

I might want to tear my hair out less if you didn't have to complete what boils down to the same episode multiple times using differently warlords. Or if you could switch between episodes rather than being locked into each one once you start it. As it is, the love I felt for the game during the main story has done an about turn into passionate hate. I hope to regain that love after completing the side episodes, but in the meantime I'm going to focus on not pitching my DS out the nearest window.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 12:31:28 PM PDT
There should also be a way to wipe the memory card. All DS games have this feature. I think it might be built into the DS itself. I know I had an issue with a used copy of Advance Wars until I figured out how to wipe the memory. I know it sucks to have to erase the save file, but the way the game is set up, it wouldn't really work with two save files. Perhaps they should have had a separate save space for the gallery and pokedex and then have two save spots for your in progress games. Then you could play through with one or the other and even play once as a boy and once as a girl. Just saying...

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 10:35:17 AM PDT
Rafael J. says:
I stopped playing and got bored of this game precisely because of what you explain. It's fun, but for me it got monotonous and boring when I beat the main storyline.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 7:35:47 AM PDT
E. Ocasio says:
Thanks for the detailed review.
I almsot bought this game, but after reading your post it is clearly not worth it for me.

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 3:44:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 26, 2014 3:49:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2014 3:54:32 PM PDT
TJV says:
you can delete your save file this what i found out about how to delete it
if you press and hold down A + B + X + Y during the company logo screen you can delete the save data in Pokemon Conquest. It cannot be recovered after this!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›