Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars New and improved Wave lives up to the claim... mostly, October 26, 2005
This review is from: Leatherman 830040 Wave Multi-Tool with Nylon Sheath (Tools & Home Improvement)
Overall, the new Wave is worth the money and effort though not perfect, but we'll go through the comparison to the old Wave (which is still pretty darn good).

Pro-

-All the tools lock open! I love this one, and this alone makes up for the short comings (to follow).

-The removable driver bits are most excellent. The basic one that comes with the Wave is OK, but when you add the accessory kit, you're ready to face any sort of fastener (torx, Allen/hex, posi-drive, square)

-The sheath allows you to carry it in the pliers configuration as well as fully closed (and has room for the accessory bits, barely).

-That little eyeglass screwdriver bit is worth it's weight in platinum.

-Like the original Wave, the knife blades are accessible when the tool is fully closed, and lock open. This is a major improvement over most other mutli-tools, and was my main reason for getting my first (old style) Wave. The blades also have thumb notches for easy (single-handed) opening, that are well sized (not too big, not too small) for both carrying and ease of use.

Con-

-Sadly, the new Wave is significantly bulkier than the original, but still not as bulky as most of the Gerber tools.

-The nylon sheath feels a little cheesy, but has held up fairly well.

My Wave has stood up well to fairly rough use, and I recommend it for anyone who needs a screwdriver once or twice a day but doesn't want to lug the full tool box around (The Wave, a Camelbak, and a poncho liner are probably the three most useful things a friend or loved one going to Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, etc could have). The scissors deserve special note as they work wonderfully; could someone at Leatherman replace one of the outside blades, like the sheepsfoot/serrated blade with the scissors? I use the scissors a lot more than the serrated blade, and would welcome being able to get to them without opening the pliers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2009 10:59:42 AM PDT
Hola Gente:

I lost the interchangeable screwdrivers very easy, I change to Leatherman Core, this IS the tool.

Saludos, Allan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2009 11:58:04 AM PDT
I can see why you would like the Core, but the blades that can be used without opening the handles and the variety of screwdriver bits works better for me. This one isn't perfect (as discussed above), but is very well suited to my needs.

Thanks for the interest!

V

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 6:17:03 PM PST
birdjsb says:
You should check out the Surge. It has larger scissors that are accessible without opening the tool. Other than that it's very similar to the Wave.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:10:08 AM PDT
I was going to write a review, but you have covered all the essentials. I've been using Leatherman multi-tools for about 40 years, and this is my third Wave. The first, about 15 years ago, developed a slight rattle after a year or two. I sent it back to Leatherman, and asked if they could tighten it up; instead, they sent me an entirely new Wave, with a modified design that included a spring to prevent the rattle in the closed position.

After more than a decade of use, I had sharpened away perhaps a third of the main knife blade, and the diamond file had lost some of its bite, so I decided a replacement was in order. One of the things that I most appreciate about Leatherman (in addition to the 25-year warranty, and quality machining) is that they continually make incremental improvements to their tool designs. The latest Wave, while bearing the same name as its ancester from 15 years ago, is a complete rethinking of the design. I like the fact that ALL tools lock with the latest version of the Wave, and the addition of metric/inch scales on the handles.

Unfortunately, the latest model has grown slightly, and won't fit in my old leather sheath. But, the hole in the bottom of the nylon sheath is actually quite useful for holstering an open tool. Opening the handles is VERY stiff at the moment, but I am sure they will loosen up with use. Of all the Leatherman tools, the Wave remains my favorite for price, size, and functionality. It's a pleasure to buy American when there are manufacturers like Leatherman.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 2:08:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 2:08:53 PM PST
rebart says:
Good point, birdjsb. I don't particularly like the scissors on the Wave. They do work, but just a little slice at a time. I also have the Wingman that I got for my Grandson's birthday. It has larger, better scissors.

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 8:45:35 AM PST
JJ Schwartz says:
I've always 'upgraded' the sheaths that come with multitools by making my own with nylon webbing. It's personalized and doesn't advertize and lasts a heck of a lot longer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›