5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler than expected..., January 3, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's MTGM900DA G-Shock Stainless Steel Tough Solar Atomic Digital Watch (Watch)
This is a brand new watch from Casio in their G-Shock line. It's an upgrade to the MTG900DA-8v. The biggest differences are the "Time Memo" function in the older version is replaced with a much more functional and desirable "Countdown Timer," and this new version sports a 6-band receiver in place of the older single band receiver. This means the watch can receive signals from all over the world rather than just in the US making this version the best choice from world travelers.

As a note to those reading some of the negative, battery related reviews on the old version, PLEASE READ the manual. It has plenty of relevant and useful info related to how the battery is charged, how it's drained, how long it takes to charge under various types of light, etc. Turning on every possible function will, of course, drain the battery faster. Then putting in under a shirt or coat sleeve will not allow it to charge. Even partially covered, some or all of the solar cells may be blocked. The dark areas around the face are actually 6 solar cells; 2each at the top/bottom and one each on the sides. They are all required to properly charge the battery.

When I received this watch, it was fully charged and last sync was on 12/24. I got it on Jan. 2 and it was about 2 seconds fast. That means it gained about 2 seconds/week which is less than the tolerance of 15 seconds/month if not synced for that long. It attempts to sync up to 6 times/day in all but China where it will try 5 times/day. In any case, once it successfully syncs for the day, it will not do it again until the next day. I followed the clear instructions to manually sync it rather than wait for the next cycle and it got it to within a fraction of a second. The sync cycle can take 2 to 7 minutes and syncs both time and date data, if available from the sync source. In the USA, both are provided.

The band is the standard folder clasp style and comes large enough to fit most guys. I removed 3 links to fit my wrist. There's a clasp adjustment within a half link for variations is weather and swelling/contraction of the wrist. Nice feature. The clasp overall seems secure and requires depressing buttons on either side so it's not likely to just come undone during normal activities.

Some people have complained about some plastic parts on the case. The base structure is metal and the plastic is there. However, it appears that the plastic is strategically placed so as to help protect the case and face from shock or other bumps/bruises. Also, the crystal is recessed significantly so it would be protected from the typical brushing against anything that might scratch it. This is an important point considering it's got solar collection cells in there that must not be obstructed.

The warranty is one year. I'd hoped it would be longer for a watch of this price. However, my experience with Casio products has been good enough for me to buy without worrying too much.

Overall, I'm really pleased and hope to have this watch for many years. My old Timex broke awhile back and I've been searching for something worthy of my time and money. I think I found it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2013 8:18:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 8:20:07 AM PST
I have the old model MTG 900 DA 8 and would like to replace it with this new model. I can not find anyone who sells it. "Casio Sale" does not list it and Amazon says it is unavailable. My old model has some battery issues but has been an outstanding watch that I have used for about 8 yrs. Anyone know where I can buy this watch?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 3:56:08 PM PST
D. Smith says:
Amazon lists a current seller with a link. I'm not sure why they aren't currently carrying it. I grabbed it first day it became available and paid full price. It's now listed for $32 less but I still feel great about the watch.

While I haven't checked, I was told by Casio that the watch should also be available at Macy's, Nordstrom's and Bloomingdales was well as a couple online vendors that I forget.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 4:56:49 PM PST
Jared says:
I saw the new version (with the forward & reverse buttons rather than the time memo & receive buttons on the old one) last weekend at the wal-mart in fargo nd. It was selling for $99. It has apparently replaced the old model which i bought at the same place about 5 weeks ago. I didn't even know there was a new model of this watch at the time or i would have tried to find it instead. I realized i really needed a countdown timer (which the new one has in place of the silly time memo function). I ended up also buying a gw5600j which does have the countdown timer. Now i just wear the old model mtg900 at work. I might still buy the new one and give the other one to my brother. It's still a great watch though even without the countdown function. I would say check out your local wally world to see if they have the new model for sale as it's currently much cheaper than here on amazon.

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 12:21:47 PM PDT
Matt G says:
I bought the original version of this watch years ago, enjoyed until the rechargable battery went dead and wanted to replace it. However I was reluctant to do so as the original version is now only available as a Malaisa built (mine is made in Japan). Could the reviewer please add to his review where the new version is made? It should state this on the back of the watch. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 6:22:10 PM PDT
tcamms says:
Is anyone else hoping the alarm sound was louder? Very light low alarm tone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›