Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars "You can't change the past. But see, you can shape it with your memories.", March 13, 2014
This review is from: Missing You (Kindle Edition)
NYPD cop Kat Donovan has a lot going on. And, so does this latest stand alone suspense thriller. Multiple plot lines converge into an interrelated set of mysteries with some very coincidental occurrences that require a large measure of suspension of disbelief.

Single and middle-aged, Kat was once in love with her soul mate Jeff Raynes. They were happily engaged when he abruptly broke off their relationship and vanished. She hasn't been able to find out a shred of information about him for the last 18 years. Her well-meaning friend Stacy, who owns a private investigation firm (Stacy is gorgeous of course whereas Kat is "cute and perky") sets up a profile for Kat on a dating website where, lo and behold, she finds Jeff! Now, what does she do? Long story.

In another plot thread, Kat is anguishing over the death of her cop father 18 years ago -- the self-confessed murderer is in prison. But Kat is not sure that Monte Leburne actually killed her father. Then, who did? Her dad was investigating a known mobster when he died but was prone to long absences from the family home for reasons he never explained to his wife and children. Kat's mother doesn't want to talk about any of that.

In yet another narrative line, evil Titus is locking men and women in underground boxes on a remote Amish farm in Pennsylvania. What does he want and how did he get them there?

And one more - Brandon Phelps, a teenage boy from a wealthy Connecticut family, asks Kat to investigate what seems to be his mother's suspicious activity as she went off on a tropical vacation to meet a man she met online.

No spoilers here -- but it all sort of comes together in exactly the way a reader will imagine and predict by the time all the players are introduced. There was actually one surprise, but the rest of this story was a cliche for anyone who reads this genre.

Fast-paced and full of the usual completely stereotypical characters, enjoy this for what it is - escapist entertainment.

I've read every Coben book except for those in the Bolitar series. He's hit and miss for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and PENGUIN GROUP Dutton for the e-book ARC to review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2014 1:49:52 PM PDT
AQ says:
If you've read every book by Coben "except" the Bolitar series - you haven't read much of his work.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:43:20 PM PDT
Sabrina says:
I don't think you read the same book as I did. I thought this was a great book. When I read a book what I want is "escapist entertainment". I get enough of real life. I didn't care for your so call review.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 7:18:44 AM PDT
I have not read the book yet, but if you have not read the Bolitar series, you missed some of Coben's best. The PERFECT mix of humor and suspense.

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 10:58:48 AM PDT
Fathers House Great review

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 10:37:57 AM PDT
M. Maffei says:
Thanks for your review. Harlen Coben is usually hit or miss for me too. It's true that his Bolitar series seems to be better than his stand alone books, but even those aren't always good. He's an author I tend to have to suspend my disbelief for to enjoy so I'm glad you mentioned that in your review. Definetly going to pass on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2014 12:36:05 AM PDT
S. Strong says:
I just finished this book. Read it without putting down. I have read EVERY one of his books. I thought is was a page turner and Coben at his best.

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 5:28:27 PM PDT
I agree with the others that if you haven't read the Bolitar series, you've missed a vast majority of Coben's work. Having said that, I've read almost every book this author has written and I prefer his stand alone books over the Boliter series. The only book of his that didn't quite do it for me was Six Years. I am surprised you didn't care for this book, but not everyone can love the same experience with a book. I happen to love that he finally wrote a majority of the story from third person POV. This was one of my favorite Coben books. Of course, as a reader of fiction, particularly a reader of crime fiction, I know that I have to being willing to suspend some belief. I never mind when an Author like this one delivers. Like many fiction readers, I read as a form of "escapist entertainment," and Harlan Coben never fails to capture my attention from page one and keep it throughout the book. I hope you don't give up on this author because you will be missing out. I think the author outdid himself and his prior work with Missing You, and did a brilliant job of weaving several subplots together and connecting them all to the main plot at the end with an amazing plot twist/reveal.

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 12:42:23 AM PDT
If you haven't read the Bolitar series not only are you missing out but have only read a few of his books then. The Bolitar series are my favorites!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›