5.0 out of 5 stars I really like it!, October 11, 2010
This review is from: Velocity Micro Cruz Reader, Black (R101) (Electronics)
I wanted an eReader that wasn't tied to a single source for eBooks(after playing with my wifes Sony 505). This works for me. I have downloaded and am reading books from Borders (app included), Barnes & Noble (Nook app) and of course Amazon (Kindle app). THEY WORK GREAT! Yes, the screen seems a little "clunky" at first, but you do get used to it. I played with the iPad foe a while at Best Buy, and the screen seemed TOO sensitive. It's less a matter of pushing hard than being accurate with the touch, a stylus helps, especially with web browsing. All three reader apps are GREAT. (no stylus needed for those) The wireless connected to my home network easily. Firmware update was simple (you need a separated sd card and a pc to download the update to do it yourself) or take it to Borders and they can do it. It only takes few minutes. Battery life can be extended by turning off the wireless or by shutting it down, but is seems to recharge quickly. This is my first Android device, and I am very satisfied.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2010 4:57:10 AM PDT
Victor Troia says:
Where did you get the Nook and Kindle apps? I tried going to the Cruz Market site but couldn't get in to see anything.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 8:40:47 PM PST
So now that you have had this product for over a month could you please tell me what you think about it? I have the Sony 505 and am ready to upgrade. Please let me know all that you think about this product.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 5:37:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2010 5:49:24 PM PST
burklegs says:
I like most of the features. One negative about the battery is that it takes mine 2 1/2 hours to charge from empty and the instructions say to charge 20-30 minutes. I can't upgrade the firmware (tired half dozen times and it froze up each time) so I am leaving it alone. Mine is R103. Kindle was easy to load and it allowed me to download all the kindle books I had already purchased.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 8:45:54 AM PST
try www.freewarelovers.com/android to find apps to download from your browser.

The nook app is more of a pain to find, try searching for bnreader.apk. But be forewarned that it takes up a lot of memory. The kindle and borders apps more than take care of my reading needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 12:56:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2010 1:22:28 PM PST
R. A. Geiger says:
Nikki thank you so much for the link! I really wanted to get mine set up for christmas gifts and wanted Kindle pre-loaded. You really helped save me a lot of time and frustration!

Also downloaded TuneIn from same website that Nikki listed and is great site for radio on demand - national and international stations - sound ok without headphones.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 10:17:18 PM PST
so since you can download the nook and kindle apps.... do you get access to the free books offered with both of those apps?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 11:15:24 PM PST
A. Franklin says:
Where did you download the kindle app from? Amazon doesn't have it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 7:21:25 AM PST
burklegs says:
I downloaded it from freewarelovers.com in the android list. It was just called kindle. http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 7:26:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2010 7:26:51 AM PST
burklegs says:
They all have basically the same free books so you don't gain anything by having 4 different reader programs on your device. I downloaded all of them to try so I would see which one I like the best. The Nook took lots of memory space so I uninstalled after I tried it. I wanted it to read library epubs but got overdrive instead. Works with epubs and mp3 audio books but not wma or digital pdf.
Since adobe flash won't work on my Cruz the library told me to use overdrive. No problem now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 7:34:29 AM PST
burklegs says:
I got kindle at freewarelovers.com and I thought I found b&n nook at 4shared.com but can't see it now so check out the one on general-search.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (318 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $50.00