2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Electronics)
I've been waiting for years to finally buy a GPS for my vehicle. My son and daughter-in-law have had one for about 4 years, and from time to time I would borrow it to make trips with. I loved theirs. It's a Magellan Roadmate. (not sure the model number)
When the 5045 came on the Gold Box deal a little while back, I made the leap and bought it.
I'm disappointed because it's not nearly as intuitive as the older one. When you defy the route it absolutely refused to reroute, and just continually tells you to make a u-turn or whatever. The only way I can find to reroute is to cancel the trip and start over from wherever I am at that point. Very annoying.
The instruction booklet is worthless. It also has a mumbled speech. It's difficult to make out what it's saying. There are other disappointing annoyances with it but I'll just sum it up with "I'm pretty sorry I didn't just buy one of the older models identical to what my son has". At least its user friendly.
The only reason I didn't was because I wanted the most up to date maps. Not that they've helped me. Several addresses just don't even exist for this new model and they are residences that have been around for 50 years, not just newly built homes.
On a number of trips to places that I already know where I'm going and am very familiar with, this thing wants to take me all sorts of weird directions. Sometimes even in the opposite direction of the town I'm heading to. NOT happy with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2010 4:19:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2010 4:20:04 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2010 4:20:07 PM PDT
Sounds like the product to me. Won't recalculate? How is that the users' fault?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2010 6:16:25 PM PDT
Thank you John.
I programmed it to go to church which is a straight shot 22 miles directly down our rural county road. There are a few dirt and gravel roads one could turn onto, along the way. However they take you far and away from where the church is. There is NO way that it could be considered, shorter, faster, straighter, less freeway or any of the other possibilities one might come up with. But that is exactly what the product instructed me to do. First one dirt road to the right, about 1/2 way down the hill, and then a dead end gravel road off to the left about 3/4 of the way down. In neither case would it have taken me to the church. How one could conclude that it is user error instead of product problems is a mystery to me. And not rerouting?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 9:54:04 AM PST
Don't see how this is a user error. Sounds like everyone (at least the "true reviews" are having the same issues of lousy routing and lousy re-routing/u-turns.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›