5.0 out of 5 stars Works well!, August 18, 2008
This review is from: Samsung SWA-4000 Wireless Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this product for use with the Samsung HT-Z310T 5.1-Channel Home Theater Surround Sound System.

Samsung HT-Z310T 5.1-Channel Home Theater Surround Sound System (Set of Seven, Black)

Even though the directions were sparse, using this was as simple as plugging in the rear speakers to the unit, plugging in the unit and inserting the transmitter card into the back of the Samsung Home Theater control unit.

At first I thought I didn't setup the unit properly because I didn't hear any sound from the rear speakers, but then I realized I just needed to set the Samsung Home Theater system to the right audio mode in order to get it to work. For example, the Dolby 5.1 mode only works if you are using a media such as the DVD or XBox360 that supports Dolby 5.1 to hear the rear speakers. If your source is something like a component audio device or coaxial cable you need to change the audio mode to "Cinema" or one of the other effects modes to use the rear speakers through the wireless link.

Most of the sources I have for my TV are Dolby 5.1 anyways, so when moving to a coaxial DirectTV player that doesn't do 5.1 I don't change the mode, I just go without the rear speakers -- it doesn't really bother me. The cool thing about this wireless unit is that when you shutdown the Home Theater system, the wireless unit senses the shutdown and puts itself into "standby" mode, thereby drawing very little power.

I've had the Samsung Home Theater and this wireless transmitter for two months now and I've had no problems. Very satisfied with the sound quality -- I've got an optical audio out from the TV to the Home Theater system and the rear speakers sound fantastic when driven by this wireless unit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2008 10:45:33 AM PDT
Florida Bum says:
Nice info on the need to set the theater system correctly. I have that kind of problem fairly often - it's helpful to see it documented as a "heads-up" to the rest of us.

Posted on Sep 13, 2008 12:54:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2008 12:56:23 PM PDT
Jay Citizen says:
I have the same model from the 410 series; on that one I had trouble trying to figure out how to get sound from the TV also. There are only a few inputs on the main HTS box, optic and componet/rca rf/also iPod. And those have to be connected from the original source not the TV. I am using a Samsung TV so that isn't the problem, the manual does explain this but it is confusing because they make it look like it is a juke box instead of a theather system. I ran optical cable from my cable/satelite box and now I get 7.1 sound out of the programs THAT BROADCAST it. Some channels don't and the Z410 simply shuts down if it doesn't like the signal.

This wireless module works when there is a surround signal only which is not on all the time - that is the way it is supposed to work, the receiver is not dead. The only thing that can be irritating is if you have the rear module near your head, you can hear the cooling fan running on the unit; it is pretty quiet so it took me a while to notice it, but now I am fixated with it and am going to have to ignore it to forget it. When a movie is playing I'm sure I'll forget about it, even during quiet scenes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (105 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $132.00