3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre medieval romance, July 4, 2007
This review is from: The Templar's Seduction (Templar Knights) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm surprised that this book has gotten such great reviews here. I just finished reading it, and I simply wasn't impressed. Sure, the writing is coherent, but nothing really drew me into the story. I didn't find the hero or heroine to be all that engaging. As a matter of fact, I was disappointed that the revelation of Alexander's secrets did not lead to more conflict with Beth. She just accepted the fact that he'd impersonated her dead husband and hopped right back in bed with him. So much for a woman of strong character and convictions.

Beyond that, the author employed some writing techniques that quickly became tiresome. For instance, several times she would say something to the effect of "And he knew the words that followed would irrevokably change his life--[insert something banal here.]" I probably would have glossed right over it if it had only been used once or twice, but it seemed to be used as a way to close out several chapters in the book.

Some other reviewers here have raved about the steamy scenes. Personally, I think they left a lot to be desired. Yes, men do occassionally like to have their shoulders massaged, but I know of very few (or none) who would gasp with the pleasure of it. Every touch, no matter how insignificant, would have these two on the brink of sexual ecstacy. Oh, to be them!

I don't think I'll be buying anything more from this author, though I didn't detest the book. I just found it...well, blah. I would highly recommend Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series over this any day.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 22, 2007 3:17:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 18, 2007 2:22:31 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2007 3:24:20 PM PDT
April M says:
Well, I'm sorry if you felt I was putting anyone down. I wasn't. I was expressing my opinion about the book, and giving detailed reasons why I felt the way I did. Many people find that sort of review helpful, even if their opinion of the book differs from that of the reviewer. But since you brought it up, I took a look at some of your reviews. To be perfectly honest, I don't find the type of reviews you write to be all that helpful, since they are all 5 stars, and don't include any supporting detail besides the fact that you really enjoyed the items. As a consumer, that doesn't really tell me anything, and would not encourage me to buy. That's not an insult to you. That is merely my opinion, which I am entitled to have. Not everyone has to agree with you, but please respect my right to express my views as I do yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2007 11:30:41 PM PDT
C. Jones- what's the problem? I understand it can be frustrating if someone doesn't "get" a book you love, but April's review was very concise and specific about what she didn't like about the novel. It's ALWAYS nice to have more than one opinion on something before you spend money on it, and I've read countless "reviews" here that rate a 1 then say "it sux me no like it" that I don't know why this one would bother you?

Anyway, thanks for the review, April! Though I must admit, one time I started massaging my boyfriends neck/shoulders after he had been playing bass for hours and he really did moan, then kinda melted ;) but I get your point!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2007 10:24:37 PM PDT
April M says:
Thanks, Stephanie! I'm glad you can appreciate reviews for what they are--one reader's perspective. Don't know why people get so bent out of shape.

And, yes, I can see how a man might moan with satisfaction having their neck/shoulders rubbed, especially after playing bass for hours (my goodness!), but I will never concede that a big, strong alpha male will gasp with pleasure at the mere touch of the heroine's hand in any area above the belt. Or, if they do, I don't want to read about them. Makes me worry the fun might be over before it even begins, ya know? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2007 1:53:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2007 10:14:37 AM PDT
Hey, April M - since you're here....I have to ask you what scene you're referring to, in the shoulder massage, because it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out, LOL. The only one I could come up with is the scene where Beth bathes Alex - but in that one he mutes a groan when she starts to rub her wet, soapy hands on his shoulders and chest (because of what's happening elsewhere in response to what she's doing!) and only actually groans when she...well actually moves farther down with her touching. ;)

So for the sake of constructive review, will you share the scene you noticed?

If you'd rather e-mail me privately, please feel free to do so at mary@maryreedmccall.com

Thanks!

--MRM

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2007 12:06:06 PM PDT
April M says:
M. McCall, I would love to be able to look that up for you. Unfortunately, I have already donated the book to the library. That could be the scene I am remembering, I'm not sure. I do recall him gasping at one point in the book, though, and the reason I recall that is because I had to go back over the line. I thought I had misread it, that it was the heroine's response and not his, but I hadn't. That was not the only scene, though, where I felt the response to slight, seemingly innocent touches was far more sexually charged than warranted. I really wish I could give you specifics, but like I said, I no longer have the book, and it's been awhile, and many books, since I read it. I don't think I could recall precisely enough to be of any help. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2007 2:08:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2007 2:12:15 PM PDT
Ah, well, April M, it was worth a try. I guess this just is just another instance, then, of the "cup of tea" issue I mentioned in one of the romance discussion threads here. One reader's cuppa is often entirely different from another's preferred blend of elements.

I admit that I enjoy (reading and writing) sexual tension that relies on the slow build-up of thoughts, emotions, mutual awareness, etc, so that even slight touches can sometimes be highly charged and quite erotic (i.e. that fabulous scene between Michelle Pfieffer and Daniel Day Lewis in AGE OF INNOCENCE, when he slowly unbuttons her glove...) As your review makes clear, you prefer something more overt (ala KMM's style).

Vive Le Difference!

--MRM

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2007 4:55:30 PM PDT
Well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 5:06:03 AM PDT
Kyra says:
April, I agree--you reviewed the book and stated your opionion. I want to read negative as well as positive comments--you might have hated it for the same reason I wouldn't even want to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 1:00:39 PM PDT
Zenei says:
And based on this entire conversation and the fact that the author actually got in on it, I will buy all three books! :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01