1,394 of 1,436 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Flip once again so far...., September 22, 2010
This review is from: Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) (Camera)
This review is very similar to the review that I gave for the Flip Slid HD when it first came out. (Please see that review also...)

I have been a Flip camera user since they released the first gen. Flip Mino HD (not the new metallic model). I loved the camera. For what I needed it for it was everything I wanted. I soon became addicted to the Flip cameras and needed to purchase the newest one every time they came out.

I currently own the Flip Mino HD (1st gen) Flip Ultra HD (2nd Gen) Flip Slide HD, and now the Flip Ultra HD (3rd Gen with Flip Port). I also own a Canon GL2 and Vixia 30 video cameras and a Canon Xi digital SLR.

I got home from school on Tuesday and found my brand new Flip Ultra HD waiting for me. I had about 20 minutes to open the package, look and set up the features (time, date, etc.) before I had to leave for marching band rehearsal. During rehearsal I did some test shooting and I was very impressed with the quality of this camera, but I was worried about a few features.

I was reluctant at first to purchase this camera because of the 60fps feature. I did own a Kodak Zi8 and the 720p 60fps setting didn't not import into Final Cut Pro. I had to take it into compressor or some other software and change the file extension in order for Final Cut Pro to import it. Of course this causes a decrease in quality.

I was also reluctant because of the image stabilization feature. When image stabilization is added to a camera (of this size) video quality usually suffers. I know flips can be very shaky if you do not have a well trained hand. After a few hours a playing you will figure out the right movements that the camera can incorporate so your video will not come out shaky.

I don't use my Flip Slide HD because of the omni directional microphone. I can not record loud situations because the microphone distorts. This is my biggest fault with the Slide HD. I was a little concerned with the new Flip Ultra HD that it would have the same problem even though it uses a different microphone, but what really sold me on this new Flip was the accessories and the FLIP PORT.

Right off the bat I noticed all of the new accessories that they are pushing for the Flips, the aquapacks, the igo chargers, and my favorite is the magnetic Bower Wide Angel Lens. Flip and Cisco have finally started listening to its customers, but what put it over the top for me was Blue Microphones. Blue Microphones makes vintage and out of this world recording, studio, usb microphones. I own one of their USB Microphones called the Snow Ball and the quality of that microphone is amazing. When I found out that Blue Microphones was making a microphone (mikey) for the new Flip to be used with the new Flip Port, I purchased mine right away.

So the Review...

The Ultra HD has always been my favorite because of its size. I think the bigger it is the better control you will have and the less shaky video you will produce. The new Ultra HD is smaller, but not that much. It feels good in your hands. The controls and the screen are in the same place. It is a nice fit in your hand.

I was very shocked at how well the image stabilization worked. If you have used a flip before this one you know that the slightest movement will create shaky video. You can tell that this one has image stabilization. It still can produce shaky video but it might take a big jolt to do it.

The 60 fps was great. It was much clearer video and with the image stabilization it made everything much smoother and clearer in the view finder, even in low light situations. I did check when I got home and the 60fps does import right into Final Cut Pro for editing without any compression. (Probably cause the videos are in MP4 format)

Overall I think this is the best Flip Camera out on the market. I like this one better than the Mino because of the touch screen controls. Sometimes pressing the touch screen controls on the Mino will cause the camera to shake.

I hope this review was helpful. Please feel free to leave comments or questions.

See my comparison of my Flip Cameras below.

Flip Mino HD - Good Microphone (2nd out of all of them), doesn't have as wide as a shooting angle as the Ultra's. Very small in the hand, at times hard to control.

Flip Ultra HD (2nd Gen) - Good Microphone (3rd out of all of them) Wide Angle for shooting, Feels good in the hand, sturdy, wont break if dropped. Double A batteries only last a few hours, rechargeable battery pack has short life span. Unit can get hot when charging - may even shut down.

Flip Slide HD - Poor Microphone (in loud situations) - its omni directional so it picks up all around the Flip not just in the front like the others. (4th out of all of them) Touch controls are better than the Flip Mino, however this has no hard buttons. The Slide does have the largest storage capacity and is second in video quality only to the new Flip Ultra HD.

Flip Ultra HD (3rd Gen Flip Port) - Widest Angle for shooting, feels the best in the hand, has the Best Microphone and currently I believe has the best video quality. This also is the only unit that has the new Flip Port.

Thanks

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 71 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 22, 2010 7:27:39 PM PST
I have Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) but cannot find a HDMI cable to connect to the fabled flip port.

Does such a cable exist and how do people connect to TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 11:42:48 PM PST
How helpful do you find the image stabilization? I just bought the "UltraHD 4 GB, 1 Hour NEWEST MODEL" and like it a lot, but it does not have this feature and the picture is shaky. I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to the 8 GB for the image stabilization.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 7:06:59 AM PST
Ann says:
Thank you for the comprehensive review. I have a Pure Digital Point'n'Shoot which my computers no longer see, so I'm thinking about upgrading. I've gotten a lot of use out of it but there are a couple of small things that I hope I will find improved on this newest version. First, does it have that loud start-up beep? (I'd rather it start up without announcing its presence to the world.) Second, might there be an indicator light to show when it's recording on the back? (I was filming underwater and I couldn't see the screen to tell if it was recording, too bright out, and forgot that there was a light on the front side.) Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 7:43:23 AM PST
Tee says:
I always read reviews before I buy, the only negative feedback that I have been getting about the Flip UltraHD (3rd Gen) is that the battery life sucks on it, and a lot of people have said that it doesn't hold a charge, etc etc etc.

I would like to purchase one for my sister, she is a dancer so I know that it would get used excessively. I have used the Flip Mino (not sure the Gen) and I love the video quality when I uploaded it to my PC.

Before I buy, I would like to know have you had any problems with the battery life and/or charging your Flip (the 3rd Gen)???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 12:03:34 PM PST
N. Farrell says:
The flip port is for Third Party add ons. At this time I only know of one Third Party add on that uses the flip port and that is Mikey by Blue Microphones and is not being released until the spring. The HDMI is next to the port and is labeled HDMI. You can get any HDMI C cable that works or just buy the ones that Cisco sells on their site or here on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 12:09:29 PM PST
N. Farrell says:
Classical CD nut, I find the stabilization very helpful. I didn't think it would but I was suprised. I can really tell the difference. It is not a life saver of any kind but if you compare video you can tell which one used stabilization and which one did not. You still have to remember that there will be shakyness with your video unless it is on a tripod. These point and share video cameras can only do so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 12:13:37 PM PST
Tee,

I just shot a 30 minute rehearsal and didn't lose any battery life. The longest I can go for is about a week before I have to charge again. I usually shoot about 3 to 4 times a week. I think this is the best battery life of any Flip Camera on the market. I actually shot all day on Saturday and used it twice this week, plus a 30 minute rehearsal and I still have way over half my battery life. No complaints on my end.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 4:10:30 AM PST
What program do you use to convert the M-4 video to? Is it easy? I have windows vista does that matter? I have a flip but I cant get the video to convert so what do I need to buy? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011 5:50:01 AM PST
Debra,

It all depends on why you are converting and what you are converting the video for? I don't need to convert the video. I just drag the video files from the folder on my flip (once it is attached to the Mac) right into Final Cut Pro Studio and do all of my editing from there. I don't need to do any converting. Final Cut Pro does it for me. If I am sharing on the net or youtube or facebook, I will export the file into compressor and compress it so instead of uploading 500MB I am only uploading like 36MB or something like that. You do lose quality, but really not that much. When I used PC's I was using a program called Adobe Flash Video Encoder. Real easy program to use. Hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 1:37:43 PM PST
Miguel says:
Nick, I have a simple, probably dumb question. To make the thing work, do I have to hold down the record button or just hit it once? I'm looking for a camera to record my anxiety-prone rescue dog when I'm not at home. Thanks. Michael

Review Details