1,390 of 1,431 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Flip once again so far...., September 22, 2010
This review is from: Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) (Camera)
This review is very similar to the review that I gave for the Flip Slid HD when it first came out. (Please see that review also...)

I have been a Flip camera user since they released the first gen. Flip Mino HD (not the new metallic model). I loved the camera. For what I needed it for it was everything I wanted. I soon became addicted to the Flip cameras and needed to purchase the newest one every time they came out.

I currently own the Flip Mino HD (1st gen) Flip Ultra HD (2nd Gen) Flip Slide HD, and now the Flip Ultra HD (3rd Gen with Flip Port). I also own a Canon GL2 and Vixia 30 video cameras and a Canon Xi digital SLR.

I got home from school on Tuesday and found my brand new Flip Ultra HD waiting for me. I had about 20 minutes to open the package, look and set up the features (time, date, etc.) before I had to leave for marching band rehearsal. During rehearsal I did some test shooting and I was very impressed with the quality of this camera, but I was worried about a few features.

I was reluctant at first to purchase this camera because of the 60fps feature. I did own a Kodak Zi8 and the 720p 60fps setting didn't not import into Final Cut Pro. I had to take it into compressor or some other software and change the file extension in order for Final Cut Pro to import it. Of course this causes a decrease in quality.

I was also reluctant because of the image stabilization feature. When image stabilization is added to a camera (of this size) video quality usually suffers. I know flips can be very shaky if you do not have a well trained hand. After a few hours a playing you will figure out the right movements that the camera can incorporate so your video will not come out shaky.

I don't use my Flip Slide HD because of the omni directional microphone. I can not record loud situations because the microphone distorts. This is my biggest fault with the Slide HD. I was a little concerned with the new Flip Ultra HD that it would have the same problem even though it uses a different microphone, but what really sold me on this new Flip was the accessories and the FLIP PORT.

Right off the bat I noticed all of the new accessories that they are pushing for the Flips, the aquapacks, the igo chargers, and my favorite is the magnetic Bower Wide Angel Lens. Flip and Cisco have finally started listening to its customers, but what put it over the top for me was Blue Microphones. Blue Microphones makes vintage and out of this world recording, studio, usb microphones. I own one of their USB Microphones called the Snow Ball and the quality of that microphone is amazing. When I found out that Blue Microphones was making a microphone (mikey) for the new Flip to be used with the new Flip Port, I purchased mine right away.

So the Review...

The Ultra HD has always been my favorite because of its size. I think the bigger it is the better control you will have and the less shaky video you will produce. The new Ultra HD is smaller, but not that much. It feels good in your hands. The controls and the screen are in the same place. It is a nice fit in your hand.

I was very shocked at how well the image stabilization worked. If you have used a flip before this one you know that the slightest movement will create shaky video. You can tell that this one has image stabilization. It still can produce shaky video but it might take a big jolt to do it.

The 60 fps was great. It was much clearer video and with the image stabilization it made everything much smoother and clearer in the view finder, even in low light situations. I did check when I got home and the 60fps does import right into Final Cut Pro for editing without any compression. (Probably cause the videos are in MP4 format)

Overall I think this is the best Flip Camera out on the market. I like this one better than the Mino because of the touch screen controls. Sometimes pressing the touch screen controls on the Mino will cause the camera to shake.

I hope this review was helpful. Please feel free to leave comments or questions.

See my comparison of my Flip Cameras below.

Flip Mino HD - Good Microphone (2nd out of all of them), doesn't have as wide as a shooting angle as the Ultra's. Very small in the hand, at times hard to control.

Flip Ultra HD (2nd Gen) - Good Microphone (3rd out of all of them) Wide Angle for shooting, Feels good in the hand, sturdy, wont break if dropped. Double A batteries only last a few hours, rechargeable battery pack has short life span. Unit can get hot when charging - may even shut down.

Flip Slide HD - Poor Microphone (in loud situations) - its omni directional so it picks up all around the Flip not just in the front like the others. (4th out of all of them) Touch controls are better than the Flip Mino, however this has no hard buttons. The Slide does have the largest storage capacity and is second in video quality only to the new Flip Ultra HD.

Flip Ultra HD (3rd Gen Flip Port) - Widest Angle for shooting, feels the best in the hand, has the Best Microphone and currently I believe has the best video quality. This also is the only unit that has the new Flip Port.

Thanks

Nick

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-60 of 71 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 13, 2011 2:57:21 AM PDT
lovemypearls says:
Hi Nick, thanks for the post, very helpful. Do you have any idea where I can get the microphone?

Thanks again

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 7:54:17 AM PDT
thanks for the helpful review. i have a question for you. i also own the flip ultra hd 2g, and i am thinking of upgrading to this one (and selling my old one one on amazon... it's amazing how much prices have gone down since i bought this 2g 18 months ago!) i'm wondering, you mention that the 3g is slightly smaller than the 2g. i have a few accessories for my 2g which i'm wondering if they will work or are available in new models for the 3g. you would think that flip would keep the same size just to make these accessories remain compatible, but maybe not. the product dimensions on this page and the page for 2g seem to be exactly the same, but the image and what you say in your review lead me to believe otherwise. my accessories are a silicon cover for the camera, and also a water-proof cover for scuba diving, and a 2g tripod. i never really use the tripod, and with the image stab and higher frame rate (these are the reasons i'm upgrading) i don't think it will be necessary. however i would like if my covers would still work with 3g, but if its even a slightly different size or shape obviously that wouldn't work. do you know if these accessories would fit moving to the 3g or, if not, if they are available in newer models either from flip or third parties? thanks so much for any help you can provide on this.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 8:42:36 PM PDT
Nick,

Does the camera have manual iris? I was told to look for that feature in the event that your subject needs to step in front of a window or such, then he/she will not be "blacked-out". I need something really small but I'll be shooting indoors a bit and will need something that is not too sensitive to varying light situations. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 4:58:47 AM PDT
Thank you Nick. I had been on the fence between the Slide HD and the Ultra. Thank you for keeping my mind straight on the Ultra. Image Stabilization and the microphone does it for me. Thank you!!

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 2:26:53 PM PDT
kwazulugirl says:
Nick, where do I find the Blue Microphone ('Mikey') for the Flip port that you mentioned? I could not find it on Amazon by simply puting in those words and also could not find it on any of the promoted linked sites. What is the specific product that is compatible with the Flip UltraHD? thanks, Krista

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:02:34 PM PDT
N. Farrell says:
Krista,

That product has been discontinued since cisco killed the Flip. It was being produced by Blue Microphones, and was set to release but then news came of the flip being canceled and so was the microphone.

Hope that helps!

Nick

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:03:42 PM PDT
N. Farrell says:
No the iris is automatic.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:17:52 PM PDT
kwazulugirl says:
Nick, your reviews and quick responses are *so* helpful! Really appreciate it. Best, Krista

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:33:45 AM PDT
DKAero says:
Nick, so since the Flip is being discontinued and I must purchase for musician daughter to make audition dvds, the thought was a Flip with a decent mic. But now what would be your recommendation? The latest flip on Amazon with a blue mic (not the mikey) or another maker?

Your posts are extremely helpful and informative.
Deborah

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 6:44:33 AM PST
Sara Ludwig says:
Thank you for this helpful and comprehensive review! This will be my first video camera purchase, so of course I'm nervous and baffled about which one I should buy. You broke down the information so that I could understand it, and that made my choice easier! Thank you.

Review Details