Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Details on the non-browser OS features, October 29, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
Others have commented about the new Chromebook hardware, and the browser is well-known already (it operates identically on the Chromebook), so I'll comment about the OS features outside of the browser, about which very little information is available. Bear in mind that Google updates the OS frequently, so anything I say is subject to change at any time.

There's a new app called Files that's a file manager, analogous to Windows Explorer or the Finder. It always shows two drives: Downloads, on the local file system, and Google Drive. You can copy between them, make folders, rename files, etc.

If you mount an SD card or USB drive, you can perform the same operations with those drives, too. I was able to mount a Mac-formatted (HFS) drive, but not write to it. When I tried, I got an error message AND the OS got into a state where it would refuse to copy anything, even if the HFS drive wasn't involved. Rebooting cleared this up.

You can't access networked drives (shares) at all.

If you have a Google Docs file on a local drive, including the built-in drive, you can open it with Google Docs to work on it, but it seems that there's no way to create such a file from the app. You have to get it there by copying it from Google Drive. This use of a local file is completely different from the new offline capability that the Google Docs apps have. That gives them access to a local cache of the online files, unrelated to the files you see with the Files app. My advice is that if you want to work with those apps offline, do it the official way.

Other notes:

My bluetooth mouse, which I prefer to the touchpad, worked perfectly.

The Chromebook looks very much like my Macbook Air. Same size, same weight, similar appearance. The Air is more refined, and it also costs more than four time as much.

I got the Chromebook because when I'm not on my main computers (an iMac or a Windows box) I spend all my time in Chrome. The Chromebook is perfect for this, as others have noted. I was using an Air for this purpose, which it's great at, of course, but so is the Chromebook.

When I take photos, I shoot raw. You can copy raw files from a card to another device with the Chromebook, for in-the-field backup, but you can't view the raw files (that is, you can't view the JPEG preview that's inside them). You can on Windows, MacOS, or an iPad. In this respect, an iPad is a more complete field computer for a photographer who wants backup and a little viewing, but, unlike the Chromebook, you can't attach an external drive, and an iPad only has so much internal memory. It works for me while I'm on vacation, but it wouldn't work for a pro. Not enough space.

You can certainly upload a raw to Picasa Web and view it there, but this is impractical for the bulk of the images you'll shoot in the field.

The above viewing issue applies only to raws. JPEGs work fine.

As an experiment, I wrote a text editor as a packaged app, which means it loads locally in Chrome and has full access to local files. It worked fine on the Chromebook, as I would expect. However, it seems that it is tossed out on a reboot, so you have to load it from an external disk each time you boot. As packaged apps are very new and still experimental, this is obviously a temporary issue. I noticed that there's a way to pin the app icon to the launchbar, which is nice. Pinning doesn't keep it from being tossed out.

The Chromebook needs work, but I give it five stars anyway. The Google people are smart and hard-working, so I expect things will get better rapidly, especially as the new Chromebook seems to be a smash hit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 11:48:23 PM PDT
Mike says:
Thanks for the review.
Am a bit disappointed about the lack of network share capability. I hope they sort this out. I know it's a little antithetical to their 'cloud' ideas. But it is just so incredibly inefficient to be sending files through the cloud which live on a machine in the same building.
The return of sneaker-net I suppose. Oh well - it burns calories anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:00:47 AM PDT
This is only one of the numerous limitations of Chrome OS. Each of them could be addressed, of course, but then you have mission creep. Reminds me of buying a lightweight bicycle and then loading it up with addons. And, one thing leads to another. Once you have shares, you would want to view the files, introducing numerous formats that Chrome OS would have to handle. Then comes light editing, then major editing. Next, the need for a faster CPU and more memory. Next thing you know, you have an Ultrabook, and all is lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:28:11 PM PDT
MatthewJP says:
Exactly right on!
This $250 Chromebook is a good illustration of "less is better," at least sometimes.
I no longer like using either of my two tablets.
I want a useful keyboard while watching TV.
With a tablet, an accidental touch of the screen can lead to disaster.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:13:37 PM PST
Good review, Marc... And I agree with you too Matthew. I'm Looking forward to getting a Chromebook. Kinda had it with the tablets.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:02:40 AM PST
Tony Clark says:
Mrac - I saw your reviews of the Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch). We would like to buy this computer for our 11yr old to write his reports and to also play MINECRAFT. Can you tell me if it has enough "guts" to support the Minecraft game?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:02:38 PM PST
Can't answer that... don't play. But I googled "Minecraft on Chromebook" and got a bunch of hits, so you might try that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:40:18 AM PST
karideluna says:
does iTunes work with this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:14:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 11:14:44 AM PST
Definitely not. To my knowledge, iTunes works only on MacOS, Windows, and iOS.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 7:44:10 PM PST
Joebizz says:
Good review I have one and it works well for me. Can you tell me the model of your bluetooth mouse?
I have tried a Toshiba and Microsoft that I use on different Windows systems with no luck. I'm useing a
logitech wireless one now with a nano dongle and it works fine but would like to get rid of the dongle
since the chromebook has built in bluetooth..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 9:53:59 PM PST
It's old. Logitech M-RBB93.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›