5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this TV, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung PN51E550 51-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Slim Plasma HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I am very pleased so far with this TV. I have bought several large flat panel TVs over the last few years and this one I am really pleased. I have been pleased with Samsung in general and only buy Samsung now for displays/TVs at this point (have 4 large screen TVs and 5 monitors in my house). As others have mentioned, it is a new model for this year and really packs a ton of features in for the price. I love plasma (over LED and LCD) and was really surprised how the weight has come down. The picture is great. One feature I really wanted to make sure I got was the ethernet input because with more and more stuff moving to internet, I felt it would be a good idea to have. I am finishing a basement and have the opportunity to run the ethernet right to where i will put this tv. Don't get me wrong, the built in WIFI works perfectly too, I just wanted to have this option too and many other models don't have this. One thing I was not aware of is that it doesn't have a VGA input. I was planning on using that to hook up a computer. For me its not a big deal as I can use HDMI, but thought I would mention as I didn't notice that before ordering. Overall I think this is a great TV and a great deal - would definitely recommend and I am seriously considering buying another one for another room (yes, I have been told I have a problem with buying too many TVs).

UPDATE (4/15/12) - After several days of usage, I noticed a buzzing sound when sitting in just the right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) place. Sitting directly in front and about 8 feet away I noticed a pretty load buzzing sound. If I moved closer or to the side I did not really notice it. (I couldn't really try moving back based on the way the room is where I had it). I actually wasn't sure what it was at first and I turned everything down and could still here it. I then traced it to the back of the TV and sure enough I could tell it was coming from the TV. I took the TV back because of this - I am not willing to live with that. I really like the TV and its features otherwise, so I ordered another one and am awaiting delivery from Amazon tomorrow. I did some research and it seems this "buzzing" issue has been experienced by other people on a variety of Samsung plasmas, but I'm hoping its just luck of the draw and I get one that doesn't do it this next time. I have two other Samsung plasmas in my house already (older models) and have never had any issues. I'll post an update when I find out if this new one does the same thing.

UPDATE (5/5/12) - So I received the new TV from Amazon and it works perfectly. No buzzing sound with this one. So I'm back to being very pleased. As I mentioned in my initial post, I was seriously considering purchasing another one and in fact I just placed that order tonight. Here's hoping I get one without the buzzing issue again because its really a great TV for the money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2012 8:49:11 PM PDT
rudy says:
is this tv matte screen or glossy screen

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:20:19 PM PDT
Just read the update and was hoping the 2012 Samsungs were buzz free. I ordered my PN60E550 last week should be here soon. If mine has the buzzzzzz I am saying good bye to Samsung and going with the Panasonic ST50 series sounds like they are a safe bet. Do you live at high elevation KAC?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 11:40:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 11:57:33 AM PDT
T. Taylor says:
As an installer, I can tell you the large screen Panasonic Plasmas have a buzz as well. Its common with plasmas, but typically not a problem as you're not close enough to hear it when the tv is on. If the noise is unacceptable to you, you would be better off going with LED.

One question I would have is.... are you sure the sound is not originating from the back of the unit and bouncing off the wall or cabinetry to the spot you notice it? We have had some luck placing sound proofing material on wall behind the tv to adsorb as much of the sound as possible. I have noticed its more common on tv's mounted to the wall as opposed to free standing with space between the tv and wall.

Another thing that you can check is your contrast level. In an all white screen or when your contrast level is set higher than normal your more likely to have a louder buzz.
................................................................

From Samsungs website... http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Troubleshooting#My_Samsung_Plasma_makes_a_buzzing_sound

A buzzing sound from your plasma TV is normal. It is caused by the electrical charges used to create the images on the screen. The buzzing, however, should not be so loud that you can hear it when the volume on the TV is set at normal levels.
It is also important to determine the type of buzzing sound. A sound like a ground hum is completely normal. This buzzing can originate near the power cord connection or from the SMPS board position on the upper back of the TV. The buzz will be more audible as contrast increases on the screen, most notably when displaying an all white screen. If the buzzing sound is loud, you may have the Contrast set too high. Lower the contrast to reduce or eliminate the buzzing.
You may also have loud buzzing if the rear of your Plasma TV is too close to a wall or other hard surface. Try moving your TV away from the wall until the buzzing is minimized. [1]
If the buzzing is at a higher frequency and resembles a crackling sound (like the sound of Velcro being pulled apart), and originates from the upper middle back of the TV, you likely have a failing SMPS board. Place a support call with Samsung to have the SMPS board replaced.
FP-T5084 Have a known buzzing problem with a very simple fix. If the buzzing is coming from the left or right sides of the rear and the volume can be changed by pressing lightly on those locations, you are probably hearing the vibration of the grounding springs on the back panel. Call Samsung and have a technician confirm the problem as the whole back panel does not come off easily, but if you take all the surround screws off, you can reach your hand in there to apply the fix. The easiest fix is to insulate the offending spring by applying some felt tape.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 3:59:30 AM PDT
Kyle T says:
Thanks for the input, this is a really helpful post. What would you recommend to use for sound proofing that location? Is something like Dynamat really necessary or would any heavy fabric work? I'm waiting on more reviews before I decide between an e550 or ST30.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 3:13:04 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 9:59:09 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 10:09:09 AM PDT
My 3 yr old Panny G10 produced a slight buzz and reg. drapes behind it dissipated that. Also, the picture has actually gotten better over time with no loss of black levels as had been reported. I feel Panasonic plasmas are the best consumer tv's built today.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 11:50:31 AM PDT
M. Hamilton says:
FWIW, one guy had the buzz and took off the back to see if he could fix it? It turned out to be the ribbon cable from the board in the top-right corner resting against the back. He put a piece of foam on it and put the back on and no more buzz.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›