5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have in your game collection, September 28, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I have always been facinated by the Resident Evil genre. However, I've always been a big chicken when it comes to playing their games. While I'm not a diehard fan like some, I have played the original for the PSone as well as a demo of RE3: Nemesis which came with Dino Crisis, another Capcom game, for the PSone.

I put a lot of thought into whether or not I should purchase this game or pass it up. Considering that I like the franchise in general, part of me wanted it, but I didn't want the same thing to happen to me that happened the first time I rented the original: Play it five minutes, get freaked out and shut it off for the remaining five days I had it.

However, the numerous good reviews I'd heard about this game were making it too hard to ignore. I picked up a copy for $20 and started playing. The truth is that it did take me a little while to actually like this game. I was about ready to go onto a RE discussion forum and ask when I should be getting into it.

Well, I didn't have to do that as eventually the heart-pounding, adrenaline-rush of action overpowered my initial fear and boredom to the point that I just wanted to kick the living crap outta every enemy I encountered. This game does stray from its survival-horror roots and becomes more of an action-horror game.

The game is incredibly long - a lot longer then I thought it would be. It took me nearly 30 hours my first time to complete the game. The replay value is extremely high, too. Capcom is known for having good replay value for their games and RE4 is no exception.

Upon completion of the game, you unlock another difficulty level, new weapons (some with unlimited ammo), two mini games and a third longer mini game where you play as another character that gets played out simultaneously to the main game.

Surprisingly, it has become one of the best games I have ever played and it is no wonder why it achieved all its high ratings and awards. Players should be warned that the game is extremely violent, rightly deserving its M rating.

Interactive cut-scenes add to the unpredictability as you can no longer simply put down your controller and watch. You may be required to do a series of button presses to prolong your life. Enemy AI is great, too. Enemies dodge your attacks, wield weapons, throw projectiles, carry shields and coordinate attacks.

Here's the lowdown on the basics:

Graphics - One word: Stunning, especially near the start of the game in the village. You'll truly be glad you aren't in such a desolate, wooded location. The loneliness and isolation of the first few areas makes you truly appreciate what you do have. But as the game progresses, you'll be wishing for the villagers rather then facing some of the more powerful enemies later on, some of which can scare ya just by looking at them.

Sound - Not as good as the graphics but still eerily satisfying. The howling wind in the village will give you chills and the heavy breathing of enemies lets you know their presence but being unable to locate them will cause you to turn in circles until you think the coast is clear. The music, especially in Ada's "Separate Ways" mini-game is powerful and gives you a little adrenaline boost. It's not "scary" powerful, but more like "emotional" powerful.

Replay value - High. Very, very high. With an added difficulty setting, many mini games and new weapons to test out, Capcom truly wants you to be playing this game nonstop until you have it implanted in your memory.

I was slightly nervous upon playing it for the first time and while there are those moments of fright within the game, the action and pulse-pounding adrenaline keep you going until you wear out your controller.

[Add comment]