Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad deal., July 18, 2012
This review is from: Acer AX1470-UR11P Desktop (Personal Computers)
I'd had good experience with my dual ACER monitors, so I figured I'd give them a chance and buy one of their computers. I got this to replace my Dell Zino HD media center PC which overheated. This PC is twice as speedy, and doesn't produce as much heat, so I hope it lasts longer that the Dell.

I've got this PC connected to my 46" Samsung LCD HDTV. If I set this computer to run at the highest resolution (which would be 1080p) the windows desktop goes beyond the display of the TV. So the edges of the image are cropped off. My TV doesn't offer any setting to fix this, which is frustrating. Additionally frustrating is that this higher resolution is the only one that my TV will allow adjustments on. Meaning that, if I select the next lowest resolution, the TV will not allow me to make color modifications, or turn on the 120hz option. This is a tad frustrating, but in truth, I think this is a TV issue, not a PC issue. But if you intend to connect this to a Samsung TV you might encounter similar problems.

Also, if you want to be able to install additional RAM, this IS the model you want. On the purchase page Amazon had a link for an Acer which they claimed was the newer version. It had a faster processor, and the same RAM, but it was limited to a maximum of 4GB. This PC is upgradeable to 16GB according to the Acer website. So that's a plus in my book. And while I didn't install more RAM, this was something I considered as a selling point. This is information you can really only get from copy and pasting the model number into Google and finding the link to the manufacturer page.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 6:09:23 AM PDT
R. H. Lee says:
The overscan may be caused by the Radeon output, not TV's handling of it.
There's an obscure overscan/underscan setting in AMD Catalyst Control Center.
I think it only shows up when it detects a TV connected to it (instead of a computer monitor).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 1:03:07 PM PDT
B. Wertz says:
I really appreciate your response. I found the "overscan" configuration option thanks to you, and was able to switch the computer back to the 1080P resolution. This also enabled the TV to support it's 120hz option and color configurations. Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:47:42 AM PDT
jp2code says:
Wertz: Are you connecting via the HDMI cable? Have you tried playing much 1080i content through this PC? I'm interested in using this as a Media Center/Home Theater PC (HTPC).

Also, is this the 32 or 64 bit Win7 OS? Another guy on here posted that he upgraded to 12G RAM, but the 32bit OS won't recognize over about 3.5GB.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 12:39:35 PM PDT
B. Wertz says:
I am connecting by HDMI, it works well, but there is a caveat. I have noticed that after the computer has been running for long periods (over a week), the screen will begin to act up when I'm watching netflix in Google Chrome. This is the only time I've seen this happen. And I would liken it to how I'd expect a computer to behave if the GPU was getting ready to croak. However, immediately restarting the machine causes the glitch to go away, and if I go back to watching netflix in Google Chrome, it will not replicate this error. I think it's a bad bit of code that kicks in after the system has been running for a long period. And it only starts when I watch Netflix in Chrome. Windows Media Center runs solid! I should probably try updating the drivers, but since this is a Win 7 machine, I believe it does it automatically. I should look into that.

This is a Win 7 64bit machine. The ability to upgrade the ram is tempting, but futile if you're only using it as a HTPC. Runs great on 4, and it performs much better than the Dell I had replaced with this.

As far as pushing HD video, I have not really done that. While I have managed to get the video card to run at my TV's max resolution. I primarily use this PC for streaming Netflix, Hulu, and accessing my movie collection off an external HD. I cannot say for sure that I have ever watched any content that actually ran at 1080i or 1080p. For my needs I do not really care as long as it looks good, and on my TV 720p is good enough. I believe the computer can run at those resolutions without fail, but I can't be sure I've ever done it since my backups are from DVD's not Blu-Ray discs, and Netflix/Hulu usually runs at 720p.

Also, you might want to watch the price on this. I've seen it fluctuate as much as $40 when I was getting ready to make the purchase. I think it's worth the $359.99, but any more, and I'd be shopping around.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 1:51:36 PM PDT
jp2code says:
Last one: What's the Windows Experience Index on this, and can you tell me what the weak link in the Index is?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:21:02 PM PDT
B. Wertz says:
This indexes break down like this.

Processor = 6.4
Memory (stock, not user upgraded) = 5.9
Graphics = 5.6
Gaming Graphics = 6.4
Primary hard disc = 5.9

So the base score is 5.6 which is determined by the lowest subscore. So that is the answer to both your questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:19:10 AM PST
jp2code says:
Wow. That's really good! Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›