5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to Zumba!, May 14, 2011
This review is from: Zumba Exhilarate Body Shaping System DVD Set (Sports)
Zumba definitely changed my life. I used to hate working out, but now it's my favorite part of the day. Until I had the courage to start attending a live Zumba class, I had been using Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System DVD Set. After 3 years, though, it was a bit boring with the same music and routines. When I saw that they were releasing a new DVD set, I knew I had to buy it.

The set comes with 7 DVDs, a pair of toning sticks, and a program guide.

DVDs:

1. STEP-BY-STEP- This DVD breaks down the basic Zumba rhythms: merengue, salsa, reggaeton, calypso, cumbia. belly dance. (Unlike with the older DVD set, there is no step-by-step for samba, which kind of annoyed me because samba can be rather tricky. However, they do cover the basic samba step in the Mix DVD.) The steps are broken down by Gina and Tanya (from the previous DVD set.) You have the option of viewing the moves from both the front and back.

2. ACTIVATE- features a 45-minute workout with Gina and Tanya that applies all the moves learned in the previous DVD.

3. RUSH- a high-energy, 20-minute workout with two different instructors, Kass and Loretta, for when you do not have much time.

4. EXHILARATE- full-length (60-minute) workout with Beto and another instructor, Melissa.

5. RIPPED- 60-minute body-sculpting workout that's split up in two sections. The first is Toning which uses the sticks, and is hosted by Beto and two other instructors, Jani and Melissa. The second is Sentao which features chair routines, and is hosted by Beto and another instructor, Marcie.

6. MIX- features routines from different places and cultures. This DVD is supposed to be more advanced, and is hosted by Tanya and Beto, along with experts from around the world. You have the option of seeing the routines broken down beforehand, which is really helpful because some of the moves are really complicated!

7. FITNESS CONCERT- 60-minute live concert starring Beto and several of the instructors featured in the other DVDs. The concert was filmed in front of thousands of Zumba enthusiasts and has the same songs found in the Exhilarate DVD.

-------------------
PROS:

--The workouts are REALLY intense and high energy. I sweat buckets, even in the 20-minute routine.

-- The production quality is AMAZING! I have never seen an at-home workout DVD that even comes close. I always enjoyed the previous DVD set because of the colors. The new DVD set takes things to a whole other level. Everything is vibrant and colorful. There's a definite party feel.

-- The routines really look like music videos. The new DVD set feels more like the experience of a live class. You have the option of turning off the cueing and just listening to the music on each of the DVDs.

-- There's a slew of new music and different routines. You get to "meet" different instructors. In addition to the Zumba staples (merengue, reggaeton, salsa, cumbia, etc.), there are routines that feature tango, swing, axé, hip-hop, etc. The Mix DVD alone if great because it gives the opportunity to learn so many different moves.

CONS:

-- I know the lighting is to help create a visual effect, but sometimes it makes it difficult to see the steps.

-- There are a lot of routines that require a lot more floor space. Why are they including routines with an eight step? Usually I just move for four, then do the other four in-place because there's no room. It seems like they created these routines in the live classes in mind, which on one hand is nice because it gives the DVDs the feel of a live class, but on the other hand it's not really practical for someone doing this in small spaces, like an apartment or dorm room.

-- The Sentao section in particular requires a lot of floor space. You have to be able to walk around a chair. You also need a sturdy chair since you have to do lunges and other things with it.

-- To be honest, I prefer the Toning DVD from the previous set to this one. This Toning routine was not effective at all for me. They should have included a full-length toning workout instead of breaking it up between using the sticks and a chair, or at least make a Toning routine that's similar to one you'd find in a live class.

-- I liked the Abs workout in the previous DVD set, and I had wished that they had included a new one in this set. One for arms would be really nice actually.

-------------------

The best part about Zumba is that anyone can do it. It doesn't matter if you are in-shape or not, as long as you are moving, sweating, and having fun. Not only will you notice a difference in your body, but you will also feel better and more energized. When I started doing Zumba, I was over 200 pounds and had no energy. Zumba gave me a reason to be motivated and enjoy what life has to offer.

Overall, this DVD set has a lot of offer, so unlike with other workout DVDs, you won't get bored easily. The routines are a lot of fun, and you will definitely get a workout. I use this along with Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System DVD Set whenever I can't attend a live class.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2011 1:53:58 PM PDT
Dancin' Girl says:
Thank you for posting such a thorough review of the DVD set. I saw this new Zumba package of DVDs and wondered if it was going to be all new DVDs, or the old set of DVDs with a few new extras. From reading your review, it sounds like these are all brand new workouts, which is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 2:17:35 PM PDT
A. Landers says:
Yes, thanks for posting the specifics about why you like (and don't like) this. This is a lot of money for me, and I wanted to see how it compared to the other Zumba dvds. Thanks so much!

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 11:29:34 AM PDT
So are the "Total Body Transformation" and the "Ultimate Experience" DVD's different? I thought that the "Ultimate Experience" set contained the same stuff as the "Total Body" set but just added 2 more DVD's. I'm still trying to decide which one to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 5:49:58 PM PDT
This was the question I was wanting to know also...should you start with the Total body if you are a begainer or is it the same for the ultimate dvds......

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 6:00:44 PM PDT
This was my question also...should you start with the Ultimate or with the total body. I have never done Zumba so as a beginer which one is best...

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:29:14 AM PDT
Sharon says:
I'm so not in shape in the least bit so this is exciting. My biggest fear is getting a dvd that is way too hard for me right now or not challenging enough to make me want to improve. Thanks for this.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:07:47 PM PDT
Louis Peanut says:
I ordered this set last night on http://amazon.com. I enjoy the classes so much. I will see it if is as much fun alone in my basement. I hope I stay motivated. I love zumba!

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 1:10:19 PM PDT
AmandaS says:
I am glad you reviewed this and mentioned you have the Total Body set. I was new to Zumba and didn't want to drop $100 for something I wouldn't potentially like. But I am already getting bored with the same routines in that set; I am now definitely considering buying this new set!

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 2:00:49 PM PDT
Anna M Clark says:
I am so glad you noted that you can turn off the cues! That is the one thing I really wish the first set did because after two years, I don't need the cues! (The Zumba Live party became my favorite after I knew the steps because of the small amount of talking.) Now I really want to get this set!

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 1:30:15 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 28, 2012 10:35:00 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (999 customer reviews)

$79.95 $63.10