5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!, January 12, 2007
This review is from: BlackBerry Pearl 8100c Phone, Slate Grey (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have waited long enough. Being a techie and carrying a $20 (free) phone for over 3 years just didn't seem right. So my change of job prompted me to look for a phone which also has web/email capabilities. I considered strongly the Samsung Blackjack and the Blackberries. The blackjack's look, while cool from a distance, had keys that looked like left-over chicken-pox blisters. The much raved about Blackberry email push technology finally won me over. I had to decide between the pearl and the bigger versions. I read the 8700g and other blackberries are a bit too big for the pocket. So I chose the Pearl. Here's my take:

What I love:

============

- Form factor: It is beautiful, it is cute and catchy! It turns heads. Enough said.

- Size: Size is one of the strongest points considering all it does. It neatly slips into a shirt pocket or sits well on the belt.

- Keys: Could be a bit small but I could use it pretty easily though my fingers are bordering on 'butterfingers'.

- Trackball: Awesome! Just don't press it too hard while using it. Just 'roll-it'!. It is great while you have to move around the screen from control to control

- Voice-dialing: Has worked for me very well the 10 or so times I have tried in my van on the road and off. You have to first choose the voice dialing option from the list of icons on the main menu. I read you can assign a menu item to a key; this would eliminate some of the fumbling while driving.

- Screen: Not too big and not too small! This will be a key factor in you choosing between a bigger blackberry and this one. I found the size good enough for me. The fonts display the content sharply enough to read easily. It is bright while viewing; goes off after a few seconds of inactivity to save power.

- Videos: I found the video that comes along very good! The graphics very sharp and quite well paced. Need to try more of this later. But I don't watch videos on my cell phone and hence it isn't that much of a selling-point for me.

- Camera: Now, who needs a sophisticated camera on a cell phone? These are frills if you use the device as a phone and an email device. But, it took great pictures. I could easily email the photo to my wife with a few click (I had her email in my contacts already).

- Applications: Google maps is cool - much cooler on the samll screen with turn by turn directions easy to read. The default cingular media-net browser is so-so. Download the Opera-mini. Love browsing on the phone.

- Audio: Call quality has been outstanding so far. The music files, though, when played left more to be desired. Not your iPod substitution this device.

- Outlook sync: Worked like a charm. Now, I love to have all my contact information in this small hand-held.

- The push-to-talk feature hasn't worked for me so far. Maybe it is a area-specific availability issue; need to follow up.

- By far the best feature, is the RIM email push feature. I easily hooked up all my personal email accounts and feel thrilled when the berry flashes a red light whenever I have an email. This eliminates the need and a lot of time for me to login to my email accounts on the computer. Replying to an email may not be so easy given the size; but viewing - works great.

- Battery: Has been great so far. With my constant use of the device for email and trying the web, the battery lasted me more than 2 days w/o re-charging.

- Miscellaneous: I haven't had the berry hang-up as I read of other windows based phones. It did freeze a couple of times, but given that I have the phone for over a week, it isn't much of a bother. This freezing was mostly while on the web, so it could have been connectivity also.

What better?

============

- Size: If you usage is email heavy and you need to reply quite often, I suggest you get the bigger berries.

- Audio: If you rely on your cell phone to listen to music as well, I find the audio quality a bit lacking.

Overall, I am very happy with the phone. If you are on the line, I suggest you go for it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2007 4:10:14 PM PST
Skenya says:
Helpful review, thanks! You mention something really important to me, so I'd just like to clarify: "Outlook sync: Worked like a charm." I have almost 1,000 contacts in MS Outlook and absolutely have to have them ported into whatever new device I buy. Can this device synch up with Outlook 2003 (for example) and port over contacts as well as calendar items? If so, does it use ActiveSync for that or some other software from RIM? Thanks for any additional tips!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2007 7:02:18 PM PST
Ash Aragam says:
My contacts were in Outlook express; I used the BB desktop manager's Synchronize option. Per the specs, the BB is capable of wirelessly sync'ing with your Outlook contacts/calendar if you have BB enterprise server installed. Given that most corporations don't use the express edition of Outlook, I don't see why Outlook 2004 sync'ing wouldn't be supported.

Posted on Mar 2, 2007 1:36:09 PM PST
B. Parikh says:
I have a Treo 650 that I need to replace. Can you view or edit typical office documents with either this or Blackjack? What about PDF files?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2007 2:27:11 PM PST
Ash Aragam says:
Yes, I have been able to view these file types, but given the screen size is the limitation how well you can see the docs. Spreadsheets come up neatly. PDFs have been not so uniform - with text scattered.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2007 10:01:03 AM PDT
B. Parikh says:
I guess than you are unable to edir spreadhsheet or word files on the phone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›