5.0 out of 5 stars Stop being a starving writer and make good money doing what you love., June 24, 2010
This review is from: The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Six Months or Less (Perfect Paperback)
I really do not remember how I found out about this book, but it has literally changed my professional life. I have been a full-time writer and editor for about two years and was plugging along with billings of $3-4K a month; but within two months I looked at my billings and they are now at $7-8,000 a month! Just me! Wow! I didn't start from scratch as many people who read this book will be doing; I already had in place some of the basics. But I was able to take Peter's recommendations and double my billings! I live in one of the states hardest hit by the economic meltdown.

I did not read the previous editions, so I cannot compare this newest addition to those. I just know that Peter starts by blasting the "starving writer" meme and helping people to realize that writing is both a skill and an art that cannot be done by "just anybody with a computer". Although Peter lets people know that although they do not have to be professionally trained writers to become well-fed writers, they do have to do the work necessary to become skilled at the craft of writing and the business of marketing themselves.

Peter gives step-by-step instructions on how to build a well-paying writing business for yourself using all of the latest tools and techniques available. Most importantly, all through the book, directly and indirectly, Peter reminds writers that they are WORTH charging real rates. This is not a get-rich-quick scheme; but solid advice on building a real business at a nice even pace over the next several months.

I did raise my hourly rate from $55 to $75/hour and my per word rates from $0.10 to $1.00 - $1.50 per word, but more importantly--I almost exclusively charge by the project and use my hourly and per word rates as just benchmarks. I have almost more work than I can handle AFTER I changed my rate schedule.

So, if you are one of those writers who is struggling with less-than-U.S. minimum-wage writing projects and trying to compete with people who charge or will only pay $0.01/word or less, get this book NOW. Then get a yellow highlighter and a pen and paper--remember those?--and read, highlight, take notes and read again. Then stop complaining about the economy and overseas competition and revise your entire business to not only reward yourself with a decent annual compensation ($60,000- $100,000 or more) before the end of twelve months, but also a well-balanced work life.

[Add comment]