5.0 out of 5 stars For the Love of a Golden, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him (Hardcover)
I was sitting on a plane, chatting with the woman next to me about my service dog at my feet, when the woman across the aisle pulled out the book she was reading and showed it to me. On the cover was a face that I looked into every day (except my Golden is on the lighter side). She explained that she had just gotten through the first few pages but recommended it. I walked to the B&N the next day and bought the book.

Luis & Tuesday's story was heartbreaking to read, but not in the way that makes you pity him, but makes you have a tremendous amount of respect for him. And gratitude. Tremendous gratitude for the sacrifices he has made for this country. Home of the Brave, right? Land of the free? It made me feel so ashamed of the way we have treated our veterans, putting them through endless amounts of red tape and process to get the care they need. Its horribly inefficient. And Luis' is brave for his side of the story in Iraq. For not placating and politically positioning like so many of our politicans do. I have always felt like I was never getting the "full story" regarding the War and why were in it. There were too many conflicting explanations.

I also appreciate the way his story shed light on the discrimination people with disabilities still feel....even in the year of 2011, where "PC" is the norm. Its amazing how many store owners have no qualms about shouting at me from across the store that "No Dogs Allowed" despite the bright colored vests my Golden wears or the obviousness of his advanced training.

I appreciate that he views his dog the same way that I view mine. My best friend. My partner.

I hope to meet Luis one day, maybe buy him lunch and hopefully be permitted to wrap my arms around Tuesday and give his coat a ruffle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2011 6:34:08 AM PDT
Kathleen says:
Cathy,
I'm sorry that you have to face the same type of discrimination that Luis faces, with regard to ignorant people and how they do not understand how crucial Service Dogs are to those that have them.
I have four Golden Retrievers, of which one is a Delta Society Therapy Dog. Although I do not NEED them the way that you and Luis do, I can't imagine my life without them.
I recently had the opportunity to meet Luis and Tuesday and was permitted to hug and pet Tuesday and ruffle his beautiful coat (and even received a couple Tuesday kisses), and hope that one day soon you are able to enjoy the incredible experience that I had.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 2:05:35 PM PDT
Ida Tuttle says:
Thank you for your review. The one thing that really touched me about the book was that we need a greater understanding of service dogs. They are not just pets. They are serving an important function. Your comment about experiencing the same type of discrimination makes me sad. Books like this give us that better understanding. I hope someday, you do get to meet Tuesday. Good luck.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:11:40 AM PST
Cathy,
Your review of Until Tuesday is so well written and touching that it brought tears to my eyes. You should write a book about you and your Golden. Write it and I will buy it. I do have a copy of Until Tuesday and look forward to reading it, but with a box of hankies by my side because I always cry over animal stories. I love all animals.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:13:38 AM PST
I want to add that I also hope you get to meet and hug Tuesday someday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:35:04 AM PDT
Historken says:
I've had the pleasure of meeting Luis and Tuesday and it was one of the highlights of my life. Tuesday is beautiful and a delight to watch him as he threads through crowds. Luis was inspirational in his speech and I was touched by our greeting as we had been emailing for some time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›