3.0 out of 5 stars J2s are OK, but there are better out there, November 28, 2008
This review is from: JBuds J2 Premium Hi-FI Noise Isolating Earbuds Style Headphones (Onyx Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I compared these J2 earbuds directly with a pair of Sennheiser CX300 Earbuds that I bought and reviewed here on Amazon last year. I played some Ella Fitzgerald, Acoustic Alchemy and Brian Culbertson. I immediately noticed a difference in sound. The Sennheisers had more 'presence' -- the highs were clearer and the vocal range (around 1000Hz) was brighter and more natural. The J2s sounded a bit muddy or muffled in comparison.

That said though, listening is a very subjective experience. I listen for natural sounding vocals and acoustic instruments. I like a 'live' sound and not overdone or muddy bass. Just to get a different perspective, I did the same music test with my 14 year old son and his two friends. I played for them Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles and let them switch between the two earbud sets. They hands-down chose the J2s over the Sennheisers. So much for my opinion. :-)

I think I'd conclude that if you like bass-heavier, mid-range type music - maybe genres like rock, hip-hop, alternative, techno - then these J2s would work fine for you. If you tend to be fussy about equalizer settings, like to hear a clear soundstage and presence, and critical listening to music is important to you, then I would shop around some more, or at least compare these earbuds to others in the same price range.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2008 6:08:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 23, 2011 2:13:28 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 29, 2008 3:04:25 PM PST
Bryan, outstanding review. You said it quicker and better than I did. My 17 year old son didn't care for the rolled off highs of these headphones. I also greatly appreciated your link to the Sennheiser headphones. MrSpeakers review was outstanding. In many ways, that review could stand here also. Thanks for a well written review - keep up the good work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 7:06:58 PM PST
Bryan Cass says:
Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate JLab's review of our reviews and their concern to make the customer happy. That's certainly commendable. And to be fair, no, I did not burn in the earbuds for 24 hours before comparing them with my Sennheisers and a pair of Sony MDR-V6 I have. I think the J2s are just fine for the demographic that they are marketed to -- the younger, iPod-carrying masses. I'm sure J2s will sell very well. I'm just not in the demographic, and being a musician, I am picky about the quality of the music I listen to. Like I said -- listening is a subjective experience and I will bet that most people will be very satisfied with their J2s.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 2:58:49 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 23, 2011 2:13:32 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 12:19:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 22, 2010 12:23:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 7:24:17 AM PST
Joseph Kirby says:
Human vocal range is 80 Hz to 1100 Hz. 1000kH is not audiable that's 1,000,000 Hz.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 7:37:16 AM PST
Bryan Cass says:
Oops! Yes you are right, thank you! I just fixed it.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 5:22:59 PM PDT
Page Adams says:
Thanks for the comment.

- Team JLab

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 1:17:50 PM PDT
RobertH says:
Thanks for the relevant details in your review!

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 9:32:01 AM PDT
David says:
Aren't the CX300's much more expensive at about $70? The J2's are about $15 or less (sometimes even under $7). I would expect some differences, but this doesn't speak to the comparative value.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›