3.0 out of 5 stars I was a little disappointed..., July 15, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Giant Golden Book) (Hardcover)
I had the book when I was little (we called it Big Book). When I bought it for my son recently, I had the feeling that I remembered pages that weren't there: birds, flowers, buildings. I hunted up my old copy and sure enough, there were quite a few pages missing in the newer book. But nowhere in Joey's book does it say it's a revised edition! What's in the book is great, but I can't get rid of the feeling that we got gypped!
Another problem with the book is that it's not bound very well. All our Richard Scarry books seem to fall apart at the spine in very short order. It's true we read them constantly, but we read other books as often, and they don't fall apart as quickly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2008 6:15:33 AM PDT
Clare says:
Yes, it is true that the hardcover edition of 35 years ago has more in it. It is still a great first book. I love to give it as a baby present, which is how I first received the book.

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 10:43:20 AM PDT
Its really sad but this decline in length and quality of materials in children's books (and other products) is obvious over the past 30 years. They do it gradually, hoping consumers won't notice, to increase their profit margins.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 10:36:52 PM PDT
A. Moffa says:
I'm glad it's not just me! I bought a copy to use in teaching English as a foreign language, but when I looked through it, I was sad to see that several pages were missing -- my sister and I used to read it and play with it so often, especially that page of gardening and flowers that's no longer there. :( I wondered if I had somehow remembered those pages from a different book, as no note was made on the new edition, but no, they seem to have been simply cut. The publishers ought to be ashamed -- for doing so, and also for not making any note of it in the new publication!

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 11:32:14 PM PDT
According to Wikipedia: By 1980 the book had been edited to remove some of what became perceived as stereotypical roles for females and to update terminology. At least 14 changes were made, including changing a male "policeman" to a female "police officer" on the front cover, and changing "handsome pilot" to "pilot" and "pretty stewardess" into "flight attendant." The book was reduced in pages from 92 to 72 pages, removing such things as "In the Flower Garden."

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 1:57:02 PM PST
Gagewyn says:
Yes, for all the long Richard Scarry books, they remove pages with each edition. At first, this was done to keep the book at the same price over decades. When prices finally rose, they didn't add back the missing pages.

Sadly for me, there is no way to reliably purchase the full book. You can look through the used editions, but so many of the postings are by booksellers who mass resell and don't describe the item in enough detail to be sure you will get the older edition. Not to mention, then the book will be in used condition, and that's hard use by small children - not pretty.

It would be much better if they would sell the abridged edition marked as abridged, and then sell the full edition for more money. I would pay twice as much for twice as many pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 12:06:07 PM PST
ambistoes says:
It sure does seem dishonest of the publishers not to warn buyers of the missing twenty pages.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›