Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad machine, December 20, 2012
This review is from: HP Pavilion p6-2350 H3Y78AA Desktop (3.6 GHz AMD A8-5600k Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) Black (Personal Computers)
I've had this computer for a few weeks now, so here's what I think.

Let's talk about Windows 8 first, because even though I'm here to review the machine and not the OS, I figure a review of Windows 8 might benefit someone considering this one since it is such a new OS.

First, I feel like it is Windows 7 + Xbox apps (if you open some of the apps like Video or Music, they literally say "Xbox Video" and "Xbox Music" when launched). Some of the apps on the Start screen are worthless because they don't work correctly, even after doing some system updates. No biggie, I just set the default program on my music and video to Windows Media Player, Winamp, or something else. But it's nice to see the current weather, headlines, stock market, etc. all on the tiled Start screen.

It's a little annoying to try to do basic things like shut down because you have to hover to the bottom right corner, click the settings icon, click Power, and then click Shut Down.

I'm also running into compatibility issues with certain programs (I installed the Adobe CS4 suite and everything installed except Flash, which I found that other users have reported as well, but CS4 is starting to become dated so I can forgive it).

The learning curve is fairly steep, but I like the overall look of Windows 8. I was afraid it would be difficult to use Windows 8 on a non-touch Desktop, but have found this not to be true. There are some cases where this is true only in an annoying way - for example, there is no "all programs" - you have to right click on the Start screen, click "all apps," and then drag your mouse all the way through all the tiles, which would be easier with touch. But you can also search for anything from any screen, which is cool.

Now for the machine itself.

8GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive. I picked this up for $449 on sale. Can't beat that. I went back to HP for some reason after all the issues with my first HP desktop. Said desktop had an HDMI out port, and that was 5 years ago. Because of that, I assumed this one would too (no video out specs were in the product description that I could find). It does not include such a port, only DVI and VGA. However, I don't plan to watch a lot of video on this thing so it's not a huge concern for me personally.

It seems to be running very smoothly- the only lag I've really noticed so far is when it's my fault for having too many tabs open in my browser and the browser can't handle it.

Not sure if it's the machine itself or Windows 8, but boot up is VERY fast. When I first got the PC it took approximately 18 seconds to boot up. Now it's down to maybe 8 or 9. And logging into Windows once booted takes about 3 or 4 seconds (although I don't have a lot on here yet).

The PC is occasionally kind of noisy, even when sitting idle, but this is just a minor annoyance.

It has a slightly slimmer profile than any of my previous desktop towers, but it's not a slimline PC because it has some good hardware.

Overall, I feel that this was a good purchase - I'll update if there are any big issues.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2013 9:30:03 PM PST
dan says:
I have this computer. It is so quiet that I don't know if the dvd drive is running, and since it has no light, no vibration, that I cannot tell. It's like a solid state computer. It is simply incredible.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 7:27:00 PM PST
Bart says:
Wow - I also have this computer, and it's much louder than any computer I've used in recent memory. It replaced an older HP that was much quieter. I keep thinking I left a DVD in the drive and it's spinning, but the drive is empty. That's the kind of noise it makes all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 6:14:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 6:15:56 PM PST
dan says:
I've got a p6-2378 also. It's spec's are slightly better but the DVD drive sounds like a jet powering up. Don't know why the 2 comps are so different. Computer prices and specs are all over the place--win8?

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 7:13:28 PM PST
To update, I really haven't heard as much idle noise as I did on the first day or two - little if any at all, BUT I rarely use the DVD drive except to install an odd program here or there, because I basically never watch DVDs on a computer. The computer has behaved quite well for me since date of purchase, but I haven't really given anything strenuous to do. On an average day, Photoshop CS4, Spotify and/or Windows Media Player, Outlook, instant messaging programs, and sometimes an FTP client open all at the same time with no issues.

After a couple months, I'm satisfied overall.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›