3.0 out of 5 stars Should be called THE SWEATER WORKSHOP, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters (Hardcover)
I am disappointed in this book. There are a few good tips, but most of the book is dedicated to finishing sweaters, which is not evident by the title or description. Lots of patterns in the back, which I don't need, and the inevitable overview of simple knitting tools, making half of the book useless to me. A real disappointment for this intermediate knitter.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2012 7:42:51 AM PST
K. Bardsley says:
I agree with this review. I,too, was disappointed. The title of the book includes the words Master Class. I don't understand why the overview of knitting tools is even included. A more accurate title would be Finishing School for Beginning Knitters.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:42:28 PM PDT
Multimedea says:
Thanks to you both for your very useful reviews. The very last thing I need in my reference library is yet another book on finishing and blocking sweaters or a tools run-down list. I can now delete this one from my Amazon recs listing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 5:46:36 PM PDT
alfafemme says:
Glad I could save you some cash. We knitters have to stick together!

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 10:19:18 PM PDT
What else besides finishing a knitting project would you expect to find in a book with the title "Finishing School." Even experienced knitters have problems in this area, I know I do and I have been knitting for years. I'm looking forward to receiving this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:27:03 PM PDT
The OP's point was that the book is almost exclusively about finishing SWEATERS. You ask what else one would expect to find in a book with the title "Finishing School". How about: finishing hats, finishing socks, finishing shawls, finishing scarves, finishing gloves, finishing purses, finishing cushions, finishing blankets.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 3:31:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2012 3:35:41 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 5:50:33 AM PDT
Gail Posey says:
I, too, was surprised to find this book is primarily about sweaters when this is not indicated by anything in the title or on the cover. Still, I learned a few things about why I am having such trouble with the sweater I am currently working on, and may be able to keep from choosing such a problem pattern in future. I'm glad I read it and expect to read it again.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:51:03 PM PST
I agree with the OP's sentiment as well. Had I seen this review prior to putting it on my Wish List and receiving it as a gift, I would not have asked for it. It might prove to be useful down the road when I start tackling sweaters which I thought I might not really be interested in for a good long while but I was looking for finishing techniques in general since I feel that is where my knitting tends to be weakest.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (91 customer reviews)

$29.95 $19.86