2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed in this book. Misleading, January 17, 2010
This review is from: A World in HDR (Paperback)
If ever there was a reason to go check a book out in person before you buy, this is it. I waited for this book to come out. This was my one and only Christmas gift this year. Heaven knows how much Trey has hyped it on his website, Flickr, FB and Twitter. The cover shows a "seal" on the top left that says "Featuring The Award-Winning Exclusive HDR TUTORIAL" WOW!! It HAS to be good right? Wrong.

First off, it's 210 pages long. Of those 210 pages, roughly 18 relate to this "Award Winning HDR Tutorial." That leaves the rest for him to show us his "home movies" of his greatest shots (just ask him). Like someone else mentioned, most of these shots are already on his website, in larger than life sizes. Hey, I admire a healthy ego, but this book is kind of over the top for me.

Instead of showing HOW he did each of the 100+ pages of HDR photos that we are treated to, he tells us about getting up on catwalks and how popular he is and all the great places he's been to. Super..

Which takes us to the Tutorial itself. Wow, not really helpful. Think of someone who is so impressed with his HDR work, that he doesn't REALLY want anyone else to copy him.. Telling others "how to" do HDR photos.. That pretty much sums it up.

Tips like: "Smoothing. This important slider affects the HDRness of the shot. The more you move it to the left, the more psychedelic your imagine will be." Thanks Trey..

On shooting your HDR sunset photo to follow along with in this award winning tutorial. Does he also show a sunset photo just for kicks? Or offer a download for photos so you can follow along?? Nope.. He shows us one of his favorite Times Square photos. How does this relate to the sunset we are supposed to be doing? It's doesn't.

So, take some pictures already!! Ha, set camera on auto-bracket and take 3 shots, -2, 0, +2. Of course my award winning Times square photo was taken with 5 auto bracket shots but I want to confuse you later, so I'll work with 5 auto bracketed shots of Times Square and you work with 3 auto bracketed shots of some sunset. That way, I don't have to "really" show you how I would do it, by using the very same setup or photos.. See that's how this award winning tutorial and photo book goes. Most of the award winning tutorial pages are really 1/2 to 1/3rd of the page, as his Time Square photos takes up the rest of it. (Not to mention pg's 178 and 179 are just one large award winning Times Square photograph.)

"What aperture should you use? Well, this (award winning) Tutorial doesn't really advise on this sort of thing, but f/9 or /10 should keep everything is focus."
In all honestly, aperture is not one of the things I'm wanting to know about. Again, would have been nice to see more screen shots of the different HDR apps and settings he used to achieve them.

Honestly, I have nothing against Trey or HDR. If your a SIC fan, this is a great book for you. If you're looking for an "Award winning HDR Tutorial, this is NOT the book you seek.

I own both Photomatix pro and Dynamic-Photo HDR. I was hoping this would really be an asset in learning more about HDR, It's not. Both programs offer far more help in their FAQs.

I feel like I was sold something I wouldn't have bought had I been able to look through the tutorial first. It's my fault. I fell for Trey's hype instead. I live in a small town in a remote area. The local "book" store sells newspapers. If you are a fan of Trey, you have already seen all these HDR photos, trust me. There really is nothing new here. It's no wonder Amazon is showing so many for sale as used.

I would have given this one star, but I don't want to be that guy. Besides, Trey's given me a whole new respect for Ken Rockwell.

Oh well, looking forward for my Sham-wow to come, heard they are great..

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2010 1:08:23 AM PST

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 9:50:35 PM PST

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 10:06:54 AM PST
KrazyD says:
I think there's no doubt this book lacks in substance and mostly collection of his photographs. I do like the style of his HDR but he doesn't tell you how he achieves them. I'm just surprised by so many positive reviews it has.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 11:00:20 AM PST
I am working my way through Trey's HDR tutorial (the 9 hour version) and he states over and over that giving out actual settings is worthless and actually hurts you more than it helps. No two images are processed the same way, so they are all different. If you want to learn HOW to make HDRs, then purchase Trey's HDR tutorial (well worth it). This book showcases his work and is not a TUTORIAL or it would be advertised as such. Rating this book poorly because it's not something you want it to be is just not fair. Plus, no one can hand you the luminosity settings or any other settings - you have to learn how to use the software and process each image separately - just like Trey does.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 1:10:23 PM PST
We <3 Amazon says:
9 hr tutorial?? What are you smoking? I have a real paper book in my hands.. Sorry if you read so slow. BTW, on the cover of my paper book, it says in LARGE gold letters, "Exclusive HDR Tutorial.." It was SOLD as such. No where does it say that it's the same over blown pics that your hero Trey posts all over the interweb for free. I can go to Flickr and look at that. It was advertised as a HDR tutorial and that's why I bought it. I have NO desire to emulate Trey. Are you nuts? I wanted info on Photomatrix. We must not be talking about the same thing.

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 7:02:29 PM PDT
shamwow is pretty fantastic as a gym or travel towel. really compact and dries quickly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (75 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1.29
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Location: Port Angeles, WA.