3.0 out of 5 stars Nice. But is it overpriced?, July 19, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN60ES7100 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Bought the UN60ES7100 (60" LED) from a local retail chain and have had this set for about a week now.

1. Packaging: Light weight and can easily be lifted by 2 people. "Un" boxing is pretty straightforward and effortless. However, since the bezel is very thin, it's easy to get your finger impressions (especially your thumb) on the screen. So, you need to be extra cautious of that.
What's in the box: 60" LED panel, panel base (used for securing the panel to the stand), stand, standard remote w/2 batteries, 4 pairs of 3D glasses, instruction manuals.

2. Assembly: Simple process but the instructions ask that you lay the panel face-down (screen facing the floor) on a blanket to attach the stand. I found this a little odd. Needless to say, you have to be *extremely* careful with this maneuver. Especially with a large 60" screen. (A neat trick here is to use the packaging material to prop up one end of the panel while you attach the stand).

3. Stand: It's the classic X shaped Samsung LED stand. I have another Samsung 46" LED TV with a similar stand. That one feels really sturdy and secure. For a 60" panel, the stand seems slightly inadequate. It doesn't feel as sturdy and the panel "sways" easily.

4. Connections: 3 HDMI. For me, all 3 were used up immediately by 1)FiOS Set-top box, 2)Sony BD Player and 3)Apple TV. In addition, I hooked up my Wii console through the component input. All connections are located on the right side (if you're facing the TV). Power plugs into a slot left of center. And oh, I have a wired connection to the internet although the TV natively supports Wi-Fi.

5. Setup: Very easy setup. When you turn on the TV for the first time, you are prompted to select "Home" or "Commercial" mode. Then, date/time. That's pretty much it. Since I have a wired internet connection, I was not prompted for any Wi-Fi password, etc. It took just a few minutes for the set to automatically download and install some firmware upgrades.

6. Remote: Universal remote that can be programmed to be used with the FiOS set-top box as well. However, the "universal" remote does not support all features. I could not find a way, for example, to bring up the channel listings that come up when you press the "Guide" button on the FiOS remote. Likewise, I could not bring up the DVD menu using the Samsung remote to control my attached Sony Blu-Ray player...there is no equivalent button for the "DVD menu/top menu" buttons. I was able to use the Play, Pause, FF, etc. buttons, though.

6. "Smart" TV: The Samsung Apps interface has been revamped (relative to my 46" UN46C6000, which I bought in 2009). The new interface has the most popular apps like Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, Pandora etc. on the "home" screen. In addition, the home screen features apps for Wellness/Fitness and "Family Story". I haven't explored these apps yet so can't comment on their utility. I did launch YouTube though and found one glaring difference in functionality when compared with my 46" series 6 TV. In that set, when I used the iPhone Samsung Remote app in conjunction with YouTube, the iPhone virtual keyboard would appear when I went to the YouTube Search option. This does not happen with the 7100, which is quite disappointing. You do, however, have the option to hook up a wireless keyboard (like Logitech) via bluetooth to the TV. IMHO, why should I purchase a wireless keyboard when I could use the Remote app on my iPhone/iPad?

7. Picture Quality: This is where the "Overpriced?" tag in my review title kicks in. The 7100 has the usual Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie picture mode options. Personally, I like Movie mode the best. The other modes seem very "artificial" with either too much color or sharpness or both. The picture quality is very good with HD content but as some previous reviewers have noted, the SD channels are blurry and cloudy regardless of the picture mode. Luckily for me, I hardly watch any SD channels. Even with HD, there is some room for improvement.
As you may know, most Pixar Blu-Ray discs (Toy Story series, for instance) come with a caibration tool in their setup menu. So, I used one of these Blu-Ray discs to attempt some basic calibration and followed the instructions. When it came to calibrating contrast, I was not able to achieve the desired result even with contrast turned all the way up to 100 (max setting). Having paid $2500+, I think it's reasonable to expect to have achieved the desired result with some room to spare! Granted, this is basic calibration and perhaps the desired result can be achieved by having the TV professionally calibrated. But that's the point -- I shouldn't have to spend another $250-$300 (~10% of the cost of the TV) for prefessional calibration after spending $2500! It should be functioning at it's optimal levels out of the box with minor tweaks.

8. Refresh Rate: The 7100 has a 240Hz refresh rate and boasts a "Clear Motion Rate" of 720. For the most part, transitions are smooth and non-discernable. But at times, even with such high refresh rates, certain fast action transitions look animated. For instance, I was watching "America's Got Talent" the other night and some fast moves by one of the dance groups seemed animated i.e. you could see the "breaks" between their fast movements.

9. Audio Quality: It's pretty much in line with what you can expect from the super thin profile of an LED TV. They certainly do the job for normal viewing but for watching movies, I would highly recommend hooking up some external speakers. I have Bose speakers hooked up and am very pleased.

10. 3D: I have always considered the current 3D technology a gimmick rather than a real feature. Regardless of manufacturer or brand. The technology as a whole has a long way to maturity so I'll not comment on this ( I haven't even opened the box with the 3D glasses). There is a 6100 model with somewhat comparable specs but without 3D and it is cheaper by about ~$600. I could have bought that instead, but the key difference is the refresh rate....the 6100 is 120Hz vs 7100's 240Hz. Also, the 6100 does not have the micro dimming feature.

Bottomline: Nice, aesthetically pleasing TV with a ton of features and apps. The TV scores very high points in these areas. However, for one of the highest priced 60" TVs in the market (see note below), the most fundamental feature i.e. picture or image quality has a big scope for improvement. For that reason I think the TV is a little overpriced. Especially when TVs from competitors with comparable image quality are available for less than $2000 (60" models).

Note: From what I know, the highest priced 55"-60" LED TVs are Pioneer Elite (~$5000), Samsung 8000 series (~$3000) and then the Samsung 7 series ($2500 - $3000). Thus the 60" Samsung 7100 is the third highest priced LED TV in the market.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2012 10:25:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 10:26:15 AM PDT
JB says:
But you were smart enough to get the best value 7/8 series LED in Samsung's line-up. i.e., your not paying for the gimmicky smart interaction features. If you wanted great overall picture quality then you should have checked out the Samsung Plasma E6500/E7000. Perhaps you did and didn't care for them.

If you want to do with just one remote I strongly suggest the Harmony 600 or 650 remote.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:05:02 AM PDT
sri440 says:
@JB...I did consider the plasma but opted for the LED for two reasons -- 1) The room is very bright and 2) The stand base that comes with the plasma is larger. My TV cabinet, which matches the rest of the furniture, is only wide enough to accommodate the LED stand.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:39:12 PM PDT
ksan47 says:
@sri440, you mentioned you "haven't even opened the box with the 3D glasses" yet. Do you plan to? :) I just got a Samsung 3D that did not come with any 3D glasses, would you mind donating to the needy?

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 1:22:52 PM PDT
I recently got a model 7150 which I believe is the same except for some extra accessories. There is a major problem I found and wonder you may experience the same. I use built in wireless this might the difference. The problem is, whenever the network is busy, such as streaming video, using all share play, etc, the TV will be very hard to pick remote control signal. For example, when watching regular TV, you push "volume up" button, the TV react very fast even you are not pointing the TV directly with the remote. But on network busy status (steaming video, all share play etc), you push the button, TV may not react (miss the command). You have to try several times and if get lucky TV may react once. You may need to get very close to TV (like almost touch it) to ensure remote works on every button. It's very weird and I don't think it's remote's problem because I tried other one, still the same. I don't know if it could happen to wired network because I don't have network cable around. If possible, could you try the same test? See if it happens to you as well.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 10:45:34 AM PDT

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:55:21 AM PDT
M. May says:
True that it is one of the more expensive sets. I got the 7150 from Costco for $2200 but that also came with a 26" TV for free (which we sold for $225) so I was able to pay less than $2000 for mine, but I think even at $2500 this TV is still better looking than the other 60"+ TVs. Oddly enough I was able to calibrate my TV using a Pixar Blu-Ray. I'm not sure if that is because my TV is a slightly different model (It is supposed to be the same TV but with some extras thrown in) or if my settings are different (I am at about half brightness) but I was able to calibrate it with some room to spare. Again, I am not sure why the difference but wanted to throw that in. I do agree that this is one of the pricier sets out there and isn't for someone looking for a cheap TV, but in my opinion, the cost is justified. That is the thing about TVs though... It all comes down to preference, taste, and where the TV will be used (mine is in a bright room). Your review was very good and very spot on but I wanted to throw in my two cents on the cost. I do think that the cost will come down as the competition heats up in the LED market but at this point, we are probably considered early adopters. A cheaper price tag would make this set much more attractive.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 2:24:45 PM PST
The price IS justifiable. The ES7100 and above have dual-core processors. This is the main reason why these TV's are a bit "over priced". Processing power is the reason why there is almost no lag in these ES series TV's. The processor is also used when streaming types of files that need to be encoded.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:00:15 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 22, 2012 4:00:54 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 3:34:09 PM PST
jimcrackcorn says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:24:33 AM PST
People who are impatient and rush out to buy new electronics are going to pay too much! Look at the price now and it's only a couple of months later!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (180 customer reviews)

$3,479.99 $1,799.00