5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing lightweight notebook, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Air MD232LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
Going from a White Macbook circa 2008 to the 2012 Macbook Air is a massive leap forward in technology for me. The big question is deciding which one will be best for you: The 13" Macbook Pro or the 13" Macbook Air.

Things I like:

It's fast! I plan on using this when I travel for Office, Adobe Lightroom and other photography applications. I'm able to move quickly, even when shuffling around hundreds of photos in Lightroom. This is remarkably different from my old Macbook.

The SSD. Absolutely fast. Bootup/shutdown/restart times are in seconds. Yes, it's pricy, but I love it.

Solid build. It feels much like other Macbook Pros, despite the thinness. Yes, it feels like it'll be a magnet for scratches, so I'm off to find a case/skin.

Opposite side USB ports! The most annoying thing about my Macbook (old White, new MBP as my office computer) is that there's not enough spacing between the USB ports, so a chunkier flashdrive and another USB device won't fit. Now I don't feel like I have to choose what gets plugged in.

USB 3.0. I've got enough USB 3.0 flash drives and the speed increase will be noticeable. Thunderbolt technology is supposed to be a lot faster, but a lot more expensive and quite frankly, cost-prohibitive.

Weight: I've gotten used to heavier laptops so this feels downright thin. Thin enough that I don't notice it in my bag.

Screen resolution: 1440x900 gives me more real estate than the 1280x800 of the 13" Macbook Pro. The screen was bright and vivid.
---
Things I don't like:
Non-upgradeable: So much for adding more RAM down the road.

New Magsafe power connector: This might cause an issue with places that have older Macbooks as well and determining which is which. That's what labels are for.

Aluminum case: It's beautiful but I'm feeling worried that I'm going to scratch it.

Software update: 350MB worth of fixes out of the box. Ugh.
---
Sound. It's decent enough - it seems like any other laptop's audio that I've ever used. If you're serious about audio, you'll have external speakers (or even pair it up with Airplay speakers.)

Battery: I got about 6 hours in a torture test of watching video while surfing the web on WiFi. It's pretty decent and within the 5-7 range that Apple stated.

DVD drive: I don't miss it. I thought I would, but I don't. It just adds weight and bulk to the computer.

The webcam is also a higher resolution 720p camera. It's quite nice, but now the downside is that during Facetime, my friends and family can see my ugly self more clearly. Also, early adopters won't have the computer come with the newest version of OS X - Mountain Lion. That will come in mid/late July. It's nice that this will come gratis to those who bought early.

The big question is Macbook Air or Macbook Pro? It comes down town a number of issues. If this will be your primary computer, then Macbook Pro is the way to go. The MBP is a faster computer with more storage and an optical drive. If you plan on doing any high-end computing, you'll notice the difference. If this is going to be a secondary computer or if weight is the deciding factor, then the Macbook Air is for you. Either way, you can't go wrong.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2012 1:48:53 PM PDT
I'm having trouble deciding between the two laptops. If I did purchase an Air, it would be my main computer, but I think I could get by with an additional external hard drive. Only thing I'm using the computer for is schoolwork (college student), some programming, and surfing the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 11:48:41 AM PDT
Nick says:
I think so. I mean, 128gb is probably enough for most things unless you have a massive mp3/media collection. I have a nice 1.5tb usb 3.0 drive that I bring along with this sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 4:39:36 PM PDT
Jack says:
Robert,

Go with a macbook air, you won't regret it! Battery rocks, SSD is crazy fast. This thing handles my daily workload with ease. (school, xcode, photoshop, etc.) 128 isn't as bad as I thought either. It forced me to move my music to icloud and to backup some of my other files on an external. 13" or 11" can't go wrong buddy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 1:50:15 PM PDT
toomanybarts says:
Super annoying that you cant upgrade RAM yourself and Amazon doesnt stock 8Gb version!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 1:13:59 PM PDT
Nick says:
Yes it is. :( That's what I wanted to go with originally.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:43:06 AM PDT
You could actually increase the audio significantly with this laptop without even buying external speakers. Just go to to Utilities and open Audio MDI Setup. Now go to Built in output and change the format to 96000Hz. You should hear a noticeable difference after this setup

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:54:52 AM PDT
cheeflo says:
You can get a hard shell to protect the aluminum surface.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 10:42:27 AM PDT
Nick says:
I looked at the Speck one and didn't really care for it. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 10:42:41 AM PDT
Nick says:
I didn't know about this. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 5:07:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012 5:23:07 PM PDT
Ed Blom says:
What's even better is downloading/purchasing the APP "Boom" in the mac app store, it'll work wonders on the sound on the air
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (408 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $759.99