The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars It's not the setup that is difficult..., December 2, 2011
This review is from: Linksys N300 Wireless Dual-Band Range Extender (RE1000) (Personal Computers)
The problem (that I believe the majority are facing) is not setting up the RE1000, it's the RE1000 dropping other devices from the internet after couple of minutes.

I.e. devices connected to the RE1000 will still show you full home wifi signal strength and never loose connection to the RE1000, but they simply loose the ability to connect to the internet (i.e. browse the web, etc..).

I've used the RE1000 it to extend my Cisco Linksys E4200 signal, and this device has been nothing but pain so far, and it seems I'm not alone at this.

I'm a senior software developer, and own plenty of routers, many of which are custom dd-wrts, and rarely I find something this frustrating to use without being the manufacturer at fault.

Anyway, I'll hopefully update this review if Cisco releases a firmware upgrade that fixes this device. So until then, my advice is stay away.

p.s.
to whom it may concern, RE1000 also doesn't support mac address filter option enabled on your home router that the RE1000 is extending.

Other devices won't be able to connect to the RE1000 if mac filter option is enabled on your home router (even though those devices' mac addresses are properly listed in your home router along with the RE1000 mac address).

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 7, 2012 4:34:08 PM PST
I'm sorry about the frustration you've experienced with the RE1000. We have posted some tips on improving the performance of the extender on our user forums located here

I also wanted to mention that you actually can do MAC filtering but because the RE1000 is a proxy repeater, you have to define both the global MAC of the client and the virtual MAC that the RE1000 calculates in the MAC filtering table of the router.

To find the virtual MAC addresses, access the RE1000 UI, and go to Status/ Statistics/ Wireless Client MAC table or Wired client MAC table, there you have a table with all the connected clients, their MAC address and the calculated Virtual MAC.

We'll be posting the MAC filtering information in our user forums as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2011 11:34:00 AM PST
I have mac filtering and talked to Cisco support and they cannot seem to get this working. When I get it all setup (supposedly) and use the RE1000 in another room it actually blocks the signal.

You sound technical and experienced. Did you ever get the RE1000 to work with mac filtering?

Thanks in advance of your response. Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:41:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2011 11:42:49 PM PST
Oxygen says:
Hi Mike. No, unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with the mac filter option enabled so far.
I've stopped using the RE1000 at the moment, but will hopefully keep checking linksys/cisco website from time to time to see if any firmeware upgrade becomes available that solves this issue (and will hopefully reply you once I find a solution).

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 8:20:29 AM PST
Have you found an extender that you like?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 9:44:07 AM PST
Oxygen says:
Hi James, I've solved the issue for which I needed the extender in the first place by using a long USB extension cable with a Wireless N USB adapter. Hence, I haven't looked around for other extenders, nor unfortunately had the time to see if Cisco / Linksys ironed out the issues with the RE1000.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Mar 7, 2012 4:34:08 PM PST

We'll be posting the MAC filtering information in our user forums as well.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 8:44:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012 9:04:13 AM PST
Scott Lang says:
Oxygen, Really helpful post/review. Thank you. I logged on to Amazon to see if others had the issues I am experiencing. Your information confirmed what I expected. Thanks for posting.

I'll be returning the device as it effectively creates a hole in the network security by connecting all AP connected clients with the AP's MAC ID.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 5:15:13 PM PDT
Paul P. says:
Posting this same issue on the Cisco website doesn't help anyone. The Cisco engineers need to develop a firmware fix for this issue. These drop issues are a non starter. I expect a lot better resolution from Cisco.

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:20:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 16, 2012 7:42:02 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 7:24:21 AM PDT
I'm browsing reviews because we are suddenly having trouble with our router connecting or keeping a connection when we are upstairs. The router is on the main floor of the house. We have a theater in the basement and that works fine. We've been in the house since January and never had a problem before. Do we even need an extender or do you think we need a new router? Could it be a simple setting that has gotten changed? Thanks for the review and your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2013 9:29:16 PM PDT
Hi,
I got my new repeater. The Set up was easy, how ever it drops permanently. How did you solve the issue?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (913 customer reviews)

$89.99 $62.13